mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2008 Demo 7 II + telescoping seatpost for trail riding?

Guys,

I am taking a look at the 2008 Demo 7 II, which is the high end build and comes out to 40lbs on the shop scale. I know this is not a trail bike but I trail ride with my Bottlerocket every week and it is sitting at 38lbs. Is this bike going to feel much worse for trailriding than the Rocket because of the slacker geometry? Has anyone used a telescoping seatpost on this bike and if so what brand? I don't want to spend more cash on a $200+ high end seat post either. Thanks.

UNDEAD
    I have a Bottlerocket and an 07 Demo 7 I

Trust me, the BR climbs MUCH better than the Demo does due to geometry and suspension.
    The BR is my trail bike, everyday ride. My Demo is my freeride bike, I walk it on the hills.

Demo is the sickest DH/Freeride bike out, I absolutly love mine for riding just that.
    When climbing is to be done it's just not meant for that.

BTW, the 08 Demo 7 II should be about 38 lbs stock...40 seems a bit high ( my buddy just got one and we weighed it at the shop)
    My BR is 37 but climbs pretty darn well.

My suggestion is this,
    "you would'nt take a knife to a gun fight"

Have one of each bike, use accordingly...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Demo 7 is my only bike which I use for everything, XC, Back Country, Shuttling DH - works a treat. I have mounted a front derailluer which helps a lot. Didn't need a telescoping post to get full leg extension either, and is plenty low enough when slammed. Some of the XC rides have been all day too so I not talking about a short local loop.

The slack angles (and low BB) make it quite hard on technical climbs but after bashing away at it for a while you get stronger and it is not such a problem. I have even cleaned technical sections of trail (climbing) that I was unable to do previously on a trail bike. Fireroad climbs are not really all that different on the big bike versus a trail bike in my mind.

Really it comes down to how much you want the D7s abilities on the DH - it is such a fun bike that the pain on the way up is almost always out weighed by the fun you have on the way down.