mtbr member
    May 2006

2007 sx trail, 180mm 66, 8.75 i2i shock. am I asking for trouble?

I have a 2007 sx trail with a 2007 66sl.
    with this setup and the low BB shuttle my HT angle is about 65.75* (I'm estimating this. HT angle is 66.5 with a 160mm fork, so 20mm is just under an inch so I'm thinking just under a degree slacker) and a BB bracket height of 13.75inches (measured in my garage, any ideas why that is lower than the factory spec of 14"?)

I have an 8.75 i2i shock laying around that I picked up really cheap a year ago and bought just to get the spring I needed from it. I have been toying with the idea of putting that shock on the bike just to see how it rides. I"m estimating that my HT angle would go down to about 65*, maybe a little less. BB should drop down to <13.5.

I primarily do FR/DH riding on the bike these days. Been buidling up some nice FR/DH trails with plenty of steep technical trail, jumps, and drops. Also considering racing a few DH races next year (going to do my first DH race in two weeks). I know the SX isn't a DH race bike but until recently I've been a trail rider (All mountain I suppose) getting more and more into aggressive riding. Just looking to give racing a shot before I spend the cash on an all out race bike and it seems the SX should be up to the task.

The low BB and slack HT given by the 66 and 8.75 i-2-i shock sounds really nice but I'm a little concerned I'd be operating outside the abilities of the frame with a HT angle that slack.
    Any input on if this is an unsafe idea?
    I could also lower the fork a bit (down to 160-170) to keep it form being so raked out but still super low slung.

eBiker
    No trouble. I lot of us have done the same to the 05-06 Enduro. Search this forum, there are huge threads on this.

P

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    No trouble. I lot of us have done the same to the 05-06 Enduro. Search this forum, there are huge threads on this.

P
    Thanks,
    I found a lot of info on the enduro like you said. In fact, all of my searches turned up enduro info and not much on the SX which is why I decided to ask and be sure.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    just a quick FYI for anyone interested.
    Put on the shorter shock this morning and went for a long ride today. The ride consisted of a couple mile climb up a fire road, maybe 5-7 miles of flowing single track (climbing and descending), and two runs on my favorite downhill trail. All in all about 10-12 miles of riding.

The verdict is that so far I love the way the bike feels with the lower bottom bracket and slacker HT angle.
    Actually I think the best benefit was that since my fork has the ATA feature, I usually wind the fork down for trail riding. With the longer shock, I always felt like shortening the forks made the bike a little too twitchy for my liking (HT angle around 68*). With the shorter shock, even with the fork cranked down, the bike still feels nice and slack and handles beautifully.

With the fork cranked to the full 180mm for the descents it rides like a dream. The bike felt a lot more responsive and maneuverable. Basically just point and go. I was picking and holding lines that I've never managed to pull off before. And boy does she rail the turns like mad now!

As of now I have two drawbacks. I did have a couple of dangerously harsh pedal strikes today, but I think that is something I'll get used to avoiding with more riding in this setup. And the shock I had was a 5th element air which just feels too harsh. I have the sag set to my normal setting of around 30% but the small bump compliance just isn't there. This was good for the fire road and single track because the bike pedaled a lot more efficiently, but on the fast techy stuff, I felt a little chattery. Hoping the shock will soften up some as it breaks in (before today, it was purchased brand new and sat on a shelf for a year) and maybe I can fix the stiffness with some adjustments to the air chamber pressure/volume.

peace,
    Adam

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    reviving an old thread. was this a 2.75 stroke shock? Did it bottom on the frame?