mtbr member
    May 2007

2007 Stumpy - base model vs Comp

I'm getting back into MTB after a 10year lapse and in the market for a new bike.

I'm looking at stumpy HTs and trying to decide between the base model and the Comp edition.

Looks to me from the specialized website are the only differences are the brakes and the rims.

Is the comp worth the exta $300-400? Are there any other factors to consider?

Any other bikes in the $1200-1500 rage i should be considering?

mtbr member
    Yeah, your right. Dif is the rim, 317 vs DT x430, and the brakes. Id say def. worth it for the brakes. In the future, you'll proabbly look to spend around 300< to get disc wheels + brakes... My rec - buy the comp!

mtbr member

Stumpy FSR!!!

Get the full-suspension Stumpy. You won't be sorry in the long run... Last spring, I had just gotten into mountain biking and bought a hardtail. Within months, I was nuts into the sport and had to buy myself the full-susser Stumpy, 2006 base model!!!!! Don't regret it at all...

mtbr member
    I test rode a Stumpy HT Comp on the streets around the shop the other day. Nice bike. Very nice front fork. Felt good, though the bars were a bit narrow for my taste. Light. Climbed well. Shifted with authority. Were I buying one, I'd go with the Comp if I could afford it because then the disk brakes come stock. Oh, and I like the blue color scheme that comes on the Comp too.

But for that much money, unless you are just bent upon getting a hardtail, madgeronimo has a point I think, in that you should at least consider full suspension.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm comming from riging a full rigid and I'm going with hard tail because I think I can get a lighter really nice hardtail as opposed to an enty level dualie at that price point. Also I feel maintenence will be much easier and cheaper on hardtails. I could be wrong there. I test rode a canondale dual suspension (not sure which model) and it felt way to "squishy" for my taste but that probably just compaired to my frame of reference. Lastly I'm planing on doing some triathalons and think if I put some slicks on I will have a reasonable ride for the road.I figure I can upgrade to disc brakes (the base model hubs are disc ready) down the line for under $300 and still be under the cost of the comp - could be wrong there as well.

I actually prefer the yellow paint job on the base model but thats just personal preference.