mtbr member
    Mar 2008

2007 Stumpjumper FSR Expert vs. 2008 FSR Stumpjumpers

I'm interested in getting into mountain bike riding due to some influence from a co-worker, so naturally, the first step is to purchase a bike.

I test rode a 2008 Stumpjumper FSR Comp at the local bike shop, and the ride seemed to be fairly smooth. However, I understand that this experience may be deceiving given that I only road on flat surfaces. In addition, my frame of reference is very skewed given that it is in comparison to a 15+ year old Univega mountain bike that I last rode many many years ago. I would like the opinion of the experienced riders in this forum as to their thoughts about the 2008 Stumpjumper FSR bikes in general (Comp, Elite, and Expert).

Question 1: I know one of the main differences between the different models is in the components, but I don't know enough about them to be able to tell what the advantage is between for example an SRAM X-7 aluminum 9-speed trigger and the SRAM X-9 aluminum speed trigger.

The pricing I've seen for the Stumpjumper family is as follows:
    FSR Expert: $3300
    FSR Elite: $2600
    FSR Comp: $2100

While doing some research, I recently stumbled upon a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR Expert for $2500.

Question 2: Would anyone recommend this 2007 model over a 2008 Elite or Comp and why?

Question 3: Is there any advantage of getting a lower model 2008 compared with the higher end 2007 Expert (given a price target of around $2500)?

Thanks in advance for everybody's feedback.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    i have an 05 expert that was like 2300 then. Bikes have gone up considerably since then. I'd get the 07 if it was me and if it was new. Why? Just seems like more for the dollar,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, get the 07. Everything is going up for the most part. Bet we will see more increases for 09

Single-Track Monster
    Jan 2007
    If I were you I'd try to save some money to make sure you really enjoyed it, rather than making a big investment on a high dollar machine and having to lose money on it by selling it. Scout out Craigslist.com, the MTBR classifieds, and eBay. You'd be surprised at what deals you can find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh and I have always thought that spending more on shifters and less on rear der. is prob. the way to go. Rear der. are sort of like tires, disposable. The comp is a great value. in the stump line. I had an 04 comp and now have the 07 expert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I would say the biggest difference is that the 2007 has a slightly more relaxed geometry, and the handling of a 2008 feels a little more nimble.
    Last edited by Speci- Suspension Tech; 03-15-2008 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    See if they will let you take one of the demo bikes out on the trail. I just got myself a 2007 FSR Elite frame and built it up. All I have to say is WOW! I am very impressed with it. I tested out the 2008 FSR Elite also, but I think I like the 2007 geometry better.

$2500 seems like a good deal on 2007. See if you can talk them down another couple hundred since it's last years model. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you're just starting out riding again, consider getting an even older used model for 40% less money, with components that are probably just as good. Most people on here want the latest model of x, y and z, and make comparisons between the minute differences between the '07 and '08 components. But if you are just starting out, consider the possibility that you might not ride as much as you hope. Spending $1500 instead of $2500 for a lightly used bike makes more sense if you aren't riding enthusiastically every other day. Especially since and '07 and an '05 might feel very close in performance (to you, since your last bike was 15 years old).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My 2 cents:

I just lived through the same decision making process last year. Be carefull or it can be costly... I think I have finally did make the right decision, but I also made a costly mistake.

Last year in May, I purchased a new Specialized XC FSR comp... retail was $1,600 on the bike. At the time my though process was centered around saving some coin as I was not sure if I would ride enough to justify the cost of a higher end bike. Well as it turns out I did ride more than I expected, and by July the sub par components on the XC were begining to fail. It was at that point I wanted to upgrade the front fork, needed a new cassette, chain, rear derailleur, shifters, etc.... it was going to cost me several hundered just in upgrades not to mention the bike shop labor. So, I started shopping for a new bike that already had the components that I wanted. I did not see any reason to just dump money into a xc comp frame when in the end the resale value of the bike would be limited based on the frame itself and not the components. Long story short, I made a deal with my LBS to take my used xc comp in on trade for a 2007 Stumpjumper Expert. The Expert already had the fork I wanted, the XO derailluer, Juicy 7 brakes, etc.... Now the trade allowance was just about 1/2 of the MSRP and the Stumpjumper was discounted 15%. Ofter doing the math I have about $3,700 in a bike that has an MSRP of $3,300. I did get to ride the XC Comp a few hundred miles during my learning experience, but those miles were very expensive!

If I would have just paid early on, my outflow would have been much less.

To make matter worse, I am still paying for my opportunity to learn about mountain cycling: I have just listed the Stumpjumper for sale: (it's listed on eBay under flyag1 screen name) and the asking price is way under MSRP and hundreds less than my actual cost!

Its not that there is anything wrong with the bike, it has performed flawlessly... the components are top notch... it is just that my riding style has moved more into the AM side of Mtn biking... In Nov I purchased an 07 Enduro frame that I build up using top of the line components, coil oil shocks, and big fat tires. It's a lot slower than the stump jumper on the climbs and dam.n heavy but I like it! Rides like a dream, so so soft, and it gives me one heck of a workout.

So in one year I purchased 1 Specialized XC comp $1,600 MSRP
    and I purchased one Specialized Stumpjumper Expert $3,000 MSRP
    total out flow was 4,600

Traded in one XC Comp for -$800
    Selling one Stumpjumper Expert for -$2,100 (hopefully I get $2,100)
    Inflow was -$2900

Ended up costing me $2,000 to ride last year, that is before you add in the extras like tires, chains, etc...

End: based on my learning experience I would advise you to buy a lightly used top of the line bike such as the Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I would go for the 2007 model, as it is a little more sturdy and versatile, looks better and is better value for money! I would always buy brand new personally. I did buy a second hand bike once and it has been nothing but hassle - stripped threads and high end parts that had been abused etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The '08 Stumpjumper is a complete re-design, so there's no way a 'paper' comparison of the two bikes is fair.

FWIW, I just bought an '08 Stumpjumper Comp. I didn't even bother looking at the '07, because from what I read, the re-designed bike was a big step forward. It's lighter and slightly racier than the '07, and that sounded much more like the bike I was looking for. (The '07 is much better looking, though!)

As far as value, the Comp seemed to be the way to go. I saved $500 over the Elite by (basically) giving up the XT drivetrain and DT rear hub. That was an easy call.

My suggestion? Take your time. Ride them both, on real trails. Then get the one that you like the most, and don't listen to us bozos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can't go wrong either way. Right about the slightly racier feel of the 08. Both are fsr horst link. Both are 120mm of travel and have fox forks. The parts are pretty similar between both years. Ride them both, but don't feel like that not having the 08 means you got a lesser bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love my 08 SJ Expert, I prefer how it looks to the 07 and was pleased that the colour was better than I thought too when I got it, turns out the silver is actually the metal of the frame with a lacquer, looks great. The big advantage of the Expert is you get the brain on the rear which makes life much easier for the riding I do, there is a lot of ride miles mixed in with most of the routes so not bobbing up and down all the time is a big plus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    flyag1, I am sure your info was appreciated but it isn't exactly appropriate to advertise on the forum. Support mtbr and use a classified.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    flyag1, I am sure your info was appreciated but it isn't exactly appropriate to advertise on the forum. Support mtbr and use a classified.
    No Problem, Understood... My bike was listed here on the MTBR classified for more than 30 days before I listed on eBay...so this community could have first dibs. Sorry to have interfered with intent of this thread...

Dale

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, it is important that the forums stay forums and not turn into unpaid classifieds. Good luck with sale!

mtbr member
    I love my '07 Stumpy Expert, haven't ridden an '08.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Do you think the 07 takes downhill better? I think the 07 looks like it could take more abuse as well.

Also what would be so great about putting and rp23 on an 07? Can you do that to an 08?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The look and colour of '08 frames are really pants - there's no meatiness in its structure and reminds me of how early 1990's frames used to look like. A big turn off and too niche for my liking.

I made the right decision to go for an 07 Stumpy and will stick with it for some time, probably until the next Stumpy re-design.

mtbr member
    Wow, you sound like me four weeks ago. I was facing the same decision. I got the 07 Expert, and what finally sealed deal was the price. I was really, really lucky. I found a 07 demo in XL that my LBS was trying to unload (only ridden twice! I call that new) the price too good to pass up. I have been riding (flying without wings) for the last two weeks, and loving being back in the sport I left 9 years ago. Don't ask why. I think you would be happy with the 07, plus with the $800 saved on the bike, you can spend it all new gear! With the money I "saved" I quickly turned around and got a new helmut, new shoes and some clothes.

Lusus Naturae
    I'm trying to decide as well, whether to get a new 2007 Stumpy Expert OR go for a Giant Reign 1 or Trance X1. The stumpy has several better parts but the Giant bikes have 5.5 to 6" of travel. All are about $2200.