Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

2007 Specialized FSR XC Comp "Review"

After reading the reviews in this forum regarding the '07 Stumpjumper FSR models, I'd like to contribute by reviewing the new FSR XC Comp for those of us who want a full-suspension bike but don't have the budget for a Stumpy.

My LBS has a Labor Day Weekend sale going on, and I went there yesterday looking for an '06 FSR XC thinking that I could get one cheap. Fortunately, as I soon found out, they only had '07s in stock, and I ended up leaving with bike pictured below. Even though it's the Comp model, it's a better bike than the '06 XC Pro model for less money. Some of the key upgrades over last year's XC Comp include: M4 tubing, RockShox Recon 335 Fork, XT rear derailleur, and Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic(!) disc brakes (185mm front rotor).

After riding it for the first time today, I couldn't be more satisfied. While this is my first full-suspension bike (other than test rides at a local demo day), I can say that the Recon fork feels pretty similar to the Fox Float that was on my '04 Stumpy hardtail. The Juicy 3s may lack the adjustability of the higher models, but have the same stopping power, especially with the bigger front rotor. Also, it was nice to be able to lock out all of the suspension for climbing on pavement while riding back from the trail to my house.

I'm really amazed by the quality of the frame, components, and the bike as a whole when taking into account how relatively inexpensive the FSR XC line is. The minute I saw it, I knew I had to have it, and I can't think of an equivalent bike that is better value for the money.

Last edited by Bulldozer27; 09-02-2006 at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a big fan of the FSR XC. If I ever get the scratch together for a full suspension bike, it will be on the short list.

So, let's see a picture of the bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I got my 06' about six weeks ago and I have had loads of fun riding it. I've found some new trails and it handles everything really well so far. I just learning to mtb and all but lost interest in my road bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just purchased an 07 FSRxc Comp in Satin Red. I couldn't resist the extra 10% off for the Labor Day sale either. Unfortunately it had to be ordered but the picture they had of the bike was gorgeous! I've been shopping for awhile and had it narrowed down between the FSRxc Comp and the 07 Cannondale Rush 6. I can't wait to get this thing on the trails.

I'll be sure to get some pictures up as soon as she's in along with a proper review.
    Last edited by Severe; 09-02-2006 at 02:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bump (pics finally added)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I got the call to come in an pick up my FSRxc Comp this morning. I was ecstatic! Once I saw it, I was amazed. I absolutely love the satin red!

Here she is just prior to my first ride. I managed to put about 10-15 miles on her on groomed trails. Shifting was excellent. I think I need to tune both shocks a bit, but she rode very well. Considering the price tag on these, they are a steal!

As a nice bonus, it looks like I got an 07 XT rear derailleur also!

It's been a long road for me to get this bike. I broke my ankle back in May in my first attempt to return to riding. Not exactly a stellar re-entry in to the sport. Today was so much more enjoyable. Mind you, I only have about 2.5 hours in the saddle at this point but I would recommend the FSRxc Comp to anyone wanting a FS bike at a great price!

A big for Specialized on this bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Those are nice. I may have to look at them. I'm considering a Heckler too. Maybe a Prophet 5. How is the Specialized price wise?

Humpmaster general
    Those are some good loking bikes.

Now, Lets take the reflectors off before little kids start making fun of you!

I am suspect about the Fusion X shock, only because I have not heard anything about them.

Is the XC 100mm or 120mm?
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

dog meat ankles
    I'd trade the Juicy 3's for BB7's.

And what the hell is the deal with the Schrader valve rims?

Unit 91
    I was very surprised when we got one of these baby's in our shop. For everything that comes on the bike and the price tag of $1600, thats an awesome deal IMO! I would recommend this bike to any beginner or something that wants to try a full suspension mountain bike. Its awesome! :thumb:
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Those are some good loking bikes.

Now, Lets take the reflectors off before little kids start making fun of you!

I am suspect about the Fusion X shock, only because I have not heard anything about them.

Is the XC 100mm or 120mm?
    Easy now, I took those pictures right when I got it home because I knew it would never be that clean again (it's already got caked on mud all over it). The reflectors and warning stickers were all taken off just before the first ride.

The XC is 100mm travel, but I don't know what I can tell you about the X-Fusion rear shock. I like the lockout feature and the fact that compression is infinitely adjustable from open to lockout (unlike a Fox Triad which has 3 positions), but my only other experience with full suspension bikes was a Beyond Bikes demo day (mostly Fox RP3 equipped bikes). I've put 100 miles on mine so far and I'm satisfied with the X-Fusion under all conditions. As I said in my original post, given the components and price, I can't think of any better value for the money in FS bikes.

Also, I've ridden Avid BB Disc brakes on my previous bike, and have no idea why anyone would consider those an "upgrade" from the Juicy 3s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27
    Even though it's the Comp model, it's a better bike than the '06 XC Pro model for less money.
    Could you explain why it's a better bike than last year's FSR XC Pro? Since the '06's are now discounted, the '06 Pro and the '07 Comp are probably priced about the same, and I am trying to figure out which one is a better choice for me.

One of my main areas of concern is braking. Having taken an '06 Pro for a demo ride, I was impressed with the BB7 brakes. Are the Juicy 3's really an improvement? I mean, I know they are hydraulic, but are they really better than a high-end mechanical disc brake system, and if so, why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd425
    Could you explain why it's a better bike than last year's FSR XC Pro? Since the '06's are now discounted, the '06 Pro and the '07 Comp are probably priced about the same, and I am trying to figure out which one is a better choice for me.

One of my main areas of concern is braking. Having taken an '06 Pro for a demo ride, I was impressed with the BB7 brakes. Are the Juicy 3's really an improvement? I mean, I know they are hydraulic, but are they really better than a high-end mechanical disc brake system, and if so, why?
    imo properly setup and sized BB7s perform as well as most hydro systems, they just feel a bit different. but as they say opinions vary

anyway, nice bikes! im usually not a big red fan but im liking that. black is sharp too

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As far as price goes, I picked mine up for around $1250 before tax. Locally, I couldn't find another FS bike with the specs at that price point so thought it was an exceptional value.

I also have to say that my pictures are literally taken about 15 minutes after leaving the store. Hence the reflectors and such.

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike. I am hopefully getting one within a month (crossing fingers, saying prayers, knocking on wood...). The great component spec and what I read about the FSR suspension has gotten a Cannondale fan like me to consider getting the big S FSR XC

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

specialized xc comp 2007

Been reading about the xc comp. Ordered mine in England yesterday - I'm so excited about it - it looks awesome. Great photos. It was a tough decision to make - I was looking at the Stumpjumper comp 07 with my mate - he decided to go for one but I looked at both and couldnt justify all that extra dosh. In the UK the stumpy comp represents half the xc in price again. The spec on this XC look great- and it feels light too. Interested to know how you are getting on with it now and whats adjustments you have made to setup.
    Paul

mtbr member
    Regarding the X-Fusion rear shock, I have an '04 FSR XC which has a very basic X-Fusion model, (no adjustments or lockout other than air pressure). While it certainly doesn't perform as well as a platform type shock, I also haven't had any problems with it (knocks wood).. so far. I works well, and holds air pressure.

Nice bikes by the way... just a tip for you guys with new FSR's, get a Lizard Skin shock protector on that rear shock, because of it's position being in the line of fire from the rear tire, it'll collect a lot of crap. You can also get a mini-mud guard from Specialized, or make one as some have on this board from a plastic bottle.

I see Specialized is running full housing for the rear der cable now, maybe they did last year as well. That's good, my '04 cable is exposed and a lot of crud gets down in the cable housing that runs under the bottom bracket. I'm either going to re-route it along the top tube using full length housing as I've seen done on this board, or switch to Avid's Flak Jacket cable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    gubawatts:

Thanks for the tip concerning the rear shock. I need to get one of those as mine is already covered with dried mud

France456:

I also looked at the '07 Stumpy FSR Comp when I bought this bike, and the price difference between the two is similar here in the US. The Stumpy actually felt slightly heavier when I lifted both at the shop, but that'a probably mostly attributable to the beefier frame and 5" travel fork. As for adjustments, I just had the rear shock set for my weight at the shop when I bought it, and have ridden the crap out of it ever since. Also, for all of you tuning freaks, I should point out that the X-Fusion RC rear shock has both compression AND rebound adjustability in addition to the lockout; very impressive for around $1500. I apologize for constantly gushing, but from the standpoint of the Law of Diminishing Returns, this is easily the best money I've ever spent on a bike.
    Last edited by Bulldozer27; 09-13-2006 at 05:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    bulldozer
    Question - can you use the new Avid Matchmaker device to pair up the brake levers and the shifters to tidy up the bar arrangement?
    Paul

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Comp model uses Shimano Deore shifters which, as far as I can see, are incompatible with the Avid Matchmakers. Also, the Avid Juicy Threes have ony one bolt for the handlebar clamp, not two like the higher end models.

mtbr member

Recon fork is a coil fork?

Although Specialized has not officially put its 2007 models on its website, I did a seach in google and found this link to a UK website that has specs for the 2007 FSR XC. It states that it has a Rock Shox Recon 335 with a fixed coil. I thought the Recon was an air fork? Is this an OEM shock just for Specialized? Will this decrease the performance of the fork in any way?

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/produ...id=m1b3s1p1608

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Gflash, that's correct, the fork is coil not air. I do believe it is an OEM special Both the Tora and the Recon come in either air or coil configurations. The coil makes it a little heavier but it works very well.

ballbuster

Prolly feel

Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    imo properly setup and sized BB7s perform as well as most hydro systems, they just feel a bit different. but as they say opinions vary

anyway, nice bikes! im usually not a big red fan but im liking that. black is sharp too
    I've owned BB7s before, and nearly two years ago upgraded to first Magura Hydros, then Hope Mono Mini hydros.

Oh, man! Hydros have so much fine feathering modulation it isn't even a comparison, not to mention the 2/3 of a pound in reduced weight. BB7s are seriously heavy.

Don't get me wrong. BB7s have just as much sheer stopping power and thermal capacity as hydros, but there is just so much more modulation and better feel in hydros.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I've owned BB7s before, and nearly two years ago upgraded to first Magura Hydros, then Hope Mono Mini hydros.

Oh, man! Hydros have so much fine feathering modulation it isn't even a comparison, not to mention the 2/3 of a pound in reduced weight. BB7s are seriously heavy.

Don't get me wrong. BB7s have just as much sheer stopping power and thermal capacity as hydros, but there is just so much more modulation and better feel in hydros.
    i dont think the weight difference is quite that much, with some light levers the mechs are much closer

i also wasnt blown away by either the shimano nor the avid hydro systems i've tried. but i think the setup and tune is everything, and feel is very subjective

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I saw some XCs the other day in the parking lot at my pt job. They look much better than last years.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast