mtbr member
    Mar 2008

2007 S-Works Epic Frame good?

I wanna buy this frame this guy is selling but I have concerns of the seat tube's chipped paint. Is this normal or is the frame possibly compromised?

I don't know how to post photos here so I post them up on my mac iweb site. What do you guys think?

www.vr62.org

Thanks for your inputs!
    Last edited by clubgiant; 03-08-2008 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looks damaged to me.

I would have a specialized dealer check it out before I purchased if it were me. Also keep in mind that a secondhand epic has no warranty on the shock. I honestly think the failure rate of the AFR is like 90% within one year of purchase. Are you prepared to purchase a AFR from specailized if yours fails? I have not heard any news on how S is handling second owner AFR shock failures. I think epics are great bikes, but with all the shcok issues I would not buy a used one unless it was way way way less then a new one. Trust me you will be needing that warranty. Specialized is giving 5 year warranty's on the AFR's now. I have never seen any shock last that long without a rebuild. Who knows if seals and things are considered warranty-able, but 5 years is a good warranty on a shock.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the response!

You state the life expectancy of the epic suspension(brain) is about one year. I was really leaning into buying an 07 or 08 S-works Epic, but spending a huge amount of money on something thats going to fail at about a year in, is really discouraging.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You will be lucky to make it a year.

Search the forums here. There have been lots of threads about AFR failures with many many people reporting multiple issues within a month of owning an epic.
    So I feel confident in saying that you will be sending that shock to specailized for repair. The question is what will they charge you, and how are they going to handel second owner shocks still in the warranty period? You are taking a big risk buying a secondhand epic, but I would be interested to hear what they tell you and what the charge you when you send your shock in for repair.
    I realize that this is coming off kinda pessimistic, but I have had multiple AFR issues, and don't know anyone that has an epic with 0 shock problems. On top of all of that you are looking at a frame with some damage Epics are sweet bikes, but I would think carefully about buying a secondhand one with all of the known problems with them. If I had to pay 100 dollars for service, and 50 each way for shipping I would be over $1000 into AFR shock repairs. This is one case where the warranty is of some serious value.

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

damage to carbon fiber frames

I had an o6 sworks stumpjumper, and the frame chipped simmalarly, but that didnt affect its over all strength. Now those chips wont make the bike fall apart, and you can repair them easilly (but that voids the warrenty). But if youre buying the bike used thats not a mute point. the clear coat on the carbon s-works bikes isnt paint for say its a layer of epoxey resin. the chip wont hurt the bike, but it may give you somthin to talk the seller down in price for.

mtbr member
    The life expectancy of the Brain is not one year. I work at a Specialized dealer and have rarely ever seen any problems with the Brain. Only complaints I have heard is from people who had set it up incorrectly. I know many, many people who have owned an Epic for 4 or 5 years with zero problems.
    - KERSH -

SMF
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ride an 04 Epic and have had zero problems with either shock and I ride the crap out of it. Maybe I'm just lucky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kersh13
    The life expectancy of the Brain is not one year. I work at a Specialized dealer and have rarely ever seen any problems with the Brain. Only complaints I have heard is from people who had set it up incorrectly. I know many, many people who have owned an Epic for 4 or 5 years with zero problems.
    Hey Kersh, are you referring to Epic Brains (Fox) or the Specialized AFR?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat
    Hey Kersh, are you referring to Epic Brains (Fox) or the Specialized AFR?
    Neither me nor the shop owner have ever actually encountered a problem with either of the brands. I would estimate we sell in the neighborhood of 30 or 40 Epics per year since they've arrived. I have heard that there are people who are having trouble with them, but I just received a new 2008 Epic myself and the Brain has worked flawlessly and I love it.
    - KERSH -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kersh13
    I have heard that there are people who are having trouble with them, but I just received a new 2008 Epic myself and the Brain has worked flawlessly and I love it.
    Do you think that the problems we hear on this forum is really a small percentage compared to the satisfied riders? Also, I was under the impression that most of the gripes are of the Specialized brand AFR brains, and not the brains hooked to the Fox shocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How often do you ride?

I don't know a single person out of 8 or 10 that have AFR equipped epics that has not had a shock problem. If you have one that has been working great, but there have been many many many many many many people that have had multiple problems with the AFR shock, and I stand by my assesment that owning a AFR equipped epic without a warranty is a mistake. The shock will fail, and I don't know what support S will offer secondhand owners. Are you prepared to pay the like 700 retail that S wants for that shock. I hope they would take care of it better then that but you never know.

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just had the ASR shock tested by LBS yesterday and it kept leaking about 10 PSI within the short one hour I was there every time we filled with air pressure. I check it this morning and it was at 0 PSI! I don't know what would cause that but there is no doubt that there is something wrong with it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blown Seeals.

Sh**
    did you buy the bike?

PM me