mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2007 Rockhopper Front End Troubles

Hello everyone, I just bought a practically brand new 2007 Rockhopper and there seams to be a problem with the front end. The top of the fork thats in the headset is a little loose. If you hold the frame, and then grab the handle bars theres a little play where the fork meets the headset. I think thats called the collar right? I tried finding manuals as to what needs to be tightened or adjusted for my particular bike, but was unable to. I haven't had time to play with it yet because i bought it late last night, but thought some of you guys might know what needs to be done to fix it. Thanks fellas,

GriFF

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GriFF3n
    Hello everyone, I just bought a practically brand new 2007 Rockhopper and there seams to be a problem with the front end. The top of the fork thats in the headset is a little loose. If you hold the frame, and then grab the handle bars theres a little play where the fork meets the headset. I think thats called the collar right? I tried finding manuals as to what needs to be tightened or adjusted for my particular bike, but was unable to. I haven't had time to play with it yet because i bought it late last night, but thought some of you guys might know what needs to be done to fix it. Thanks fellas,

GriFF
    Uhhh at the top of the headset or at the bottom where the fork stanchion meets the steerer tube, or?
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Found out that it was the ring of ball bearings thats on the top of the headset. The ring that holds the ball bearings in place actually bent, so i just bent it back and turned it sideways as a quick fix. I will be taking the bike to my LBS and purchasing some more ball bearings to fill in the space that the ring took up.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GriFF3n
    Found out that it was the ring of ball bearings thats on the top of the headset. The ring that holds the ball bearings in place actually bent, so i just bent it back and turned it sideways as a quick fix. I will be taking the bike to my LBS and purchasing some more ball bearings to fill in the space that the ring took up.
    ??? SOUnds like something more than just adding bearings....should never have to add any bearings...too many bearings will bind it up, if they'll even fit in their. I'd have them take a quick look and advise what you should replace.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 06-23-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    Get off the couch and ride!

Enthusiast
    Really hard for me to picture what's going on. Is it possible that a loose headset is the root cause of that bent, bearing-ring? FWIW, there should never be enough play in the headset for that ring to ever get bent to begin with, so something is definitely wrong. A loose headset could lead to frame damage (i.e., ruin the bike), so I'll second Natedogz's recommendation to have your dealer take a look at the problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0