mtbr member

2007 epic expert FOX Float RL question

hi,

i posted this in the suspension forum but got no bites, so ill try to post it here instead!

i'm planning on upgrading the fork on my 2004 stumpjumper fsr (manitou black) with a 2007 float RL that was taken off of an 07 epic expert. aside from steerer tube length concerns, would there be any problems? the travel is the same on both forks, but im curious about rake length difference, etc.

i also have a couple of questions about the lockout:

does the lockout on the 07 RL have blowoff adjustment like the RLC? im wondering if taking RLC over RL would make that much of a difference.

the lockout is called a 'compression lockout lever' in the fox manual. if i dont fully turn the lever, does it change the compression speed of the fork, or does it only have an effect if turned fully to lockout?

thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    the rlc has the blowout, the rl doesn't. jusr rebound and lockout. no, the lockout doesn't change the compression either, unlike some zokes or rockshox.. its only fully effective at around 5 oclock (doesnt go to 6). the fork should do the bike wonders, enjoy it!

mtbr member
    thanks for the quick reply! so i guess that the low speed compression adjustment and blowout adjust on the RLC arent too significant to warrant ditching the RL?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The compression lockout doesn't effect the speed of compression but how much force it takes to overcome the lockout. I find it very useful for road riding and climbing and as a means of matching the AFR's platform. The comp speed adjust and the lockout are separate functions, but the RL doesn' come with either. Go for an RLC if you think you will find those usefull.
    I would think that the rake and trail between two forks from different companies would be the same if they have the same amount of travel, excluding G2 geoemtry. Can't address the steerer length issue, but a local bike shop could fix that for you if needed.

dweeby
    I Have the Fox 120 RL and the lockout does have a blow off valve but it is factory set.
    So when the fork is locked out it will compress if it hits something like a pot hole on the road, this is more to protect the fork internals than the ridder. The lockout is only on or off, I tried the half turn of the knob but it dosn't have half the efect. Great fork and it's been very reliable over the last year.