Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2007 Enduro SL Expert or 2008 Stumpy FSR Expert?

Here's my dilema.

I really like the look and colour of the 2007 Enduro SL Expert but I'm a little concerned about what it may wiegh and the switchback limitations of the fork, I also really like the idea of the new Secialized suspension tech in the fork and rear.

The 2008 Stumpy FSR Expert looks very cool except the colours aren't nearl as good as the subtle ano brown on the Enduro (now a horrible gold for 2008 too) and I have a feeling it'll be a better bike for my riding as it wieghs less. However it only has the Specialized shock on the rear and makes do with a fixed 120mm front fork.

Both bikes will cost me the same it seems, as I'm a lanky git and need an XL the only place that still have the 2007 Enduro in my size are still asking full price. They both have pretty similar finishing kit too. If the fork on the Enduro is a problem I can always swap it later and still end up with a cooler looking bike than the Stumpy.

I generally prefer xc but with a fair bit of rough descent, the guys I usually ride with like to do more downhill so even the more relaxed rides always end up being more than my poor hardtail can cope with. To me it seems both bikes would cover the kind of riding I do equally well.

So, anyone got any opinions or can spot something I've missed? Also, if anyone has the comparison wieghts of the two bikes I'd be very interested, can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks for the help guys... over to you

Now with More Wood
    I can help you comparing the 07 SL to the 07 Stumpy - having ridden both (I own an 07 Enduro SL Comp). From the reviews I imagine the Stumpy 08 is still fairly similar to the 07 (although there is no more travel adjust on the fork available from the factory builds) - although probably an allround better bike. Basically, the choice is down to where your preference goes: trails with predominantly XC aspect, or more of the downhill stuff. Since there are no perfect compromises, what you gain in one area you have to give back in the other. Thus, the SL is really good on the downhill, but pedals and climbs slightly less well than a Stumpy. Mind you I say "slightly" - the difference is noticable but not huge. On a 20 minute steady climb, I finished on 1 lower gear with the SL compared to the Stumpy - so thats what I give up for the downhill advantage (I went with the SL because I'm quite willing to do that trade-off, and it sets me up for attacking some bigger jumps and drops and such). It should also be noted that the Stumpy is far from a slacker on the downhill - its a load of fun too, its just that if you are going to be hitting rockgardens at speed, bigger drops and whatever (to hang with your downhill buddies), you may find that the extra travel on the SL is very nice to have, indeed....and 13.7kg for a 150mm bike is really quite light! (OKJ so the new Stumpy is what, 11kg....which is amazing of course...but like I said....gain here, loose there...). The slacker geometry of the SL really makes it more stable going down as well.

And just to conclude, I have had no fork or shock issues in the 3 months I have ridden my SL. They both work great so far touch wood. Totally love this bike!

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Good write-up Iceman.
    Useful info there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When I test-rode some Specialized models recently, they had an Enduro LS Comp in the store (size Large) and the weight was only 13.5 kg/29.8 lbs (digital scale). That's pretty good for such a kind of bike and less than my Kona Hardtail. I suppose the better spec'd Enduro SL Expert will even be a bit lighter.

In terms of the 11 kg for the new SJ, I think that's only for the carbon frame models. The alloy models should be about the same as the actual SJ.

I'd go Enduro. The frame, although similar, is beefier and looks better than the skinnier version on the '08 SJ models.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by sdfg
    When I test-rode some Specialized models recently, they had an Enduro LS Comp in the store (size Large) and the weight was only 13.5 kg/29.8 lbs (digital scale). That's pretty good for such a kind of bike and less than my Kona Hardtail. I suppose the better spec'd Enduro SL Expert will even be a bit lighter.

In terms of the 11 kg for the new SJ, I think that's only for the carbon frame models. The alloy models should be about the same as the actual SJ.

I'd go Enduro. The frame, although similar, is beefier and looks better than the skinnier version on the '08 SJ models.
    Good point - that's right, the 23 pound Stumpy IS the carbon frame....I should have been more careful in my comparison. So - another point for the Enduro!
    (Although - the 07 Stumpy I rode was an aluminium frame and it still climbed/pedalled better than my Enduro SL).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Great stuff you guys, thanks for all the help. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on an 07 SL then (love the colour too). The only thing I did notice was the 08 SJ has Avid Ultimate 7 and X0 shifters while the SL has Juicy 7 & x9, think that'll make much difference?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewligan
    ....think that'll make much difference?
    Except for the brag-factor, nope.

X0 = X9 with some flashy carbo/titan, you'll probably save 13.5 grams. The same for the Avid's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hewligan,
    Not much of a difference! I have a 07 Enduro Comp SL and the bikes kicks ars! It's like a XC bike on major steroids!
    Handles like it's on rails and climbs superbly! Down hills are a blast. The design and engineering of the bike are superb. About 2.5 months with mine and zero problems with suspension!
    I actually swapped out the rear wheel already for a Hope Pro 2 hub and wider stronger DT Swiss 5.10 rim. Shaved 257 grams too I am 6'3 230 pounds
    It's a great bike and a super comfy cockpit too. They really went all out with the Enduro bikes
    Also, every component on the Enduro Comp works VERY WELL! You could ride this bike for years stock and I think all the components would last

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Need some opinions too!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    I can help you comparing the 07 SL to the 07 Stumpy - having ridden both (I own an 07 Enduro SL Comp). From the reviews I imagine the Stumpy 08 is still fairly similar to the 07 (although there is no more travel adjust on the fork available from the factory builds) - although probably an allround better bike. Basically, the choice is down to where your preference goes: trails with predominantly XC aspect, or more of the downhill stuff. Since there are no perfect compromises, what you gain in one area you have to give back in the other. Thus, the SL is really good on the downhill, but pedals and climbs slightly less well than a Stumpy. Mind you I say "slightly" - the difference is noticable but not huge. On a 20 minute steady climb, I finished on 1 lower gear with the SL compared to the Stumpy - so thats what I give up for the downhill advantage (I went with the SL because I'm quite willing to do that trade-off, and it sets me up for attacking some bigger jumps and drops and such). It should also be noted that the Stumpy is far from a slacker on the downhill - its a load of fun too, its just that if you are going to be hitting rockgardens at speed, bigger drops and whatever (to hang with your downhill buddies), you may find that the extra travel on the SL is very nice to have, indeed....and 13.7kg for a 150mm bike is really quite light! (OKJ so the new Stumpy is what, 11kg....which is amazing of course...but like I said....gain here, loose there...). The slacker geometry of the SL really makes it more stable going down as well.

And just to conclude, I have had no fork or shock issues in the 3 months I have ridden my SL. They both work great so far touch wood. Totally love this bike!
    Congratulations on the very accurate review, I just felt the way you explained about both bikes. You see, I'm with the same dilema Hewligan is facing , and I have less than 20 hours to decide between an Enduro SL Comp and a SJ FSR Pro. And I haven't made my choice yet!

Iceman, please tell me one thing: won't the SL be too punishing on ocasional rides through the city or in some fire roads, where weight, after a few hours, may become a issue? And for the climbing and speeding reports, how do the SL really does? Can it speed reasonably for a 13,5kg bike? Well, my intention is really to drop some weight spec'ing it up with my XTR group and some rear hub and spokes upgrades, and that may slim the bike considerably. You think with the lighter specs, the SL will be a faster bike?

And on tight single tracks and switchbacks, does the SL do well? Heard some about it to be kinda slow, and not as much agile as the SJ. Is it too plushy, that after you cross a big root, it bounces down too low that may cause you to stop and fall on a uphill singletrack at low speeds (I had ocasional issues where my old Enduro took me to the ground by sagging too low after a big root or spaced big rocks)?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm about to get ONE of them, but if I could I'd buy both just to have the best of each ride. But as you see, I'm leaning towards the SL, but I don't want to get a bike that will punish me on long rides, and only will have me going fast when going downhill, and I like to pedal uphill and take some fast strokes. I had an incridebly sweet ride on both on the same path (the street side the LBS), and both have responded very well to the pedal strokes I put on them. But I'm concerned about a long term relationship with a bike that may put me tired down after some hours. Man, now I see because I can't get married... Blond or brunette? But wait, there's a red girl looking at me...

mtbr member
    Maybe I can help as well. I rode a Maverick ML8 which is very similar to the Enduro SL and I own a 2007 SJ FSR Elite (so, you know the way I went up front ). I am an old school XC guy (since '88 or so, on and off for almost 20 years) and at 34 I still prefer the stretched out feel of good XC geometry. That is exactly what you get with the SJ. The Enduro SL is too upright for me, and the extra travel isn't warranted for the riding I do and my style. However, on rides I go the shop manager rides an Enduro SL and the bike can run with the best of us. What is funny though, is when others ride that bike. On my last ride the person that had it couldn't seem to put a good line together with it to save his life, but is fine with the FSRxc and the SJ FSR. Also, our climbs can get really steep and that's where it becomes more rider than bike in getting up them. The SJ has a minor issue when the TALAS is at 140, but dropping it to 120 or 100 fixes it right up. The SJ has better balance on steep climbs, especially when they are off camber, due to better weight distribution.

Now, if you are already a smooth rider and like the more upright position, then I wouldn't fret over the weight difference. Also, keep in mind that you will be using their hub size and possibly be limited to that for a while (unless I9 or somebody is producing one already). If you think the normal QR of the Stumpy will be too weak for you, then I bet you will want the more "All Mountain" feel of the Enduro SL. As I am more "XXXC" (lots of climbing, followed by tricky downhill sections with tons of rocks) I have a set of Crossmax SL wheels on mine and love them. UST is the way to go.

If you do get the Stumpy, make sure to protect the drive-side chainstay pivot from the derailleur if you plan on going XTR and use the non-Shadow unit. The top right of the "X" will hit the pivot. Might be the same story on the Enduro SL but I don't know for sure.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member

The top right of the "X" will hit the pivot. Might be the same story on the Enduro SL but I don't know for sure.

Yes, I can confirm it. I have XTR and it hits the pivot. I solved it putting a piece of tube bent twice on the pivot. No big deal now. It is a problem with all horst systems AFAIK.

About the choice between SJ and Enduro SL. I do own an Enduro SL Comp 08 with all components replaced. It weighs 13.3kg w/o pedals.

I'm just back from a 5-day vacation on the mountains of Austria, biking. I climbed very steep paths, the ones followed by the cable-cars, rough terrains where there are only woods, no tracks at all, big roots and rocks. And the descending single tracks were amazing.
    My Enduro SL impressed me so much. It got me everywhere.
    The point is, my goal was spending all days with fun without any attention to the time, and the Enduro SL fitted perfectly. I didn't suffer in climbing but, if your main concern is performance and speed in up-hills, Enduro SL wouldn't be the right choice.

The bottom line is, we have only one life, get your Enduro SL and have fun!

Ah! It's soooo refreshing!

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    Congratulations on the very accurate review, I just felt the way you explained about both bikes. You see, I'm with the same dilema Hewligan is facing , and I have less than 20 hours to decide between an Enduro SL Comp and a SJ FSR Pro. And I haven't made my choice yet!

Iceman, please tell me one thing: won't the SL be too punishing on ocasional rides through the city or in some fire roads, where weight, after a few hours, may become a issue? And for the climbing and speeding reports, how do the SL really does? Can it speed reasonably for a 13,5kg bike? Well, my intention is really to drop some weight spec'ing it up with my XTR group and some rear hub and spokes upgrades, and that may slim the bike considerably. You think with the lighter specs, the SL will be a faster bike?

And on tight single tracks and switchbacks, does the SL do well? Heard some about it to be kinda slow, and not as much agile as the SJ. Is it too plushy, that after you cross a big root, it bounces down too low that may cause you to stop and fall on a uphill singletrack at low speeds (I had ocasional issues where my old Enduro took me to the ground by sagging too low after a big root or spaced big rocks)?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm about to get ONE of them, but if I could I'd buy both just to have the best of each ride. But as you see, I'm leaning towards the SL, but I don't want to get a bike that will punish me on long rides, and only will have me going fast when going downhill, and I like to pedal uphill and take some fast strokes. I had an incridebly sweet ride on both on the same path (the street side the LBS), and both have responded very well to the pedal strokes I put on them. But I'm concerned about a long term relationship with a bike that may put me tired down after some hours. Man, now I see because I can't get married... Blond or brunette? But wait, there's a red girl looking at me...
    Thanks for the kind words on the review. According to the board, you posted this 17 hours ago, so I guess I still have 3 hours to answer your questions before you have to choose!

Here we go:

-you can drop some weight off the stock comp SL for sure, with a better hub/cassette/ and perhaps crankset you should be looking at almost a pound. (I plan on some of those upgrades, but only because I want to go with heavier rims and tires, so for me I'll end up where I started I think).
    -On the long fireroad type rides, I drop the fork to 110mm to get that XC-ish over the handlebar feeling. I find it really helps (also with climbs of course!).
    -too plush for switchbacks and roots and stuff? Not at all. If anything, you might find it harsh in the beginning. (you'll look at that dual-crown fork and wonder why it doesn't feel like a Boxxer DH rig ). Rest assured, as soon as you hit the rought stuff it will open up nicely. You should not have the same problems as the regular Enduro you mention (I have not ridden one, but a friend has a real plush GT, couple of years old, I can relate to the issue of being too soft - not so with the SL!).
    -pedalling the SL while seated is great. If you hammer standing up it will move a lot more than a Stumpy (especially a pro-pedal or brain version). But I think you will find it very much OK on a city ride (I ride mine to work a couple of times per week, its a 10 mile drag on a mix of dirt, gravel, and tarmac).
    -One last word of caution: even if you shave some weight, I am pretty sure the SL will never feel like a Stumpy in regards to pedalling. The Stumpy has that very tight feeling, where every pedal stroke seems to come with a certain amount of "free roll" - I just don't get that feeling on the SL. So yeah, it will be a bit more tiring on a long ride - up to you to decide how much you are willing to put up with!

The good news is, you'll have a great bike either way! Good luck - tell us what you got in the end, and how you like your choice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like to climb as fast as I can but my fat ass downhill loving mates take ages so maybe the slower climbing Enduro would be a good idea, I won't have to wait so long at the top

Looks like a 2008 Enduro wil be my choice in the end, the 2007 is sold out in my size and the kit is better on the new model even if the colour is worse. I'll see how I get on with the wacky forks, can always change them and I'm not missing out on much compared to what you get with the SJ this year.

Thanks for the advice guys.

mtbr member

I got the SJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Thanks for the kind words on the review. According to the board, you posted this 17 hours ago, so I guess I still have 3 hours to answer your questions before you have to choose!

Here we go:

-you can drop some weight off the stock comp SL for sure, with a better hub/cassette/ and perhaps crankset you should be looking at almost a pound. (I plan on some of those upgrades, but only because I want to go with heavier rims and tires, so for me I'll end up where I started I think).
    -On the long fireroad type rides, I drop the fork to 110mm to get that XC-ish over the handlebar feeling. I find it really helps (also with climbs of course!).
    -too plush for switchbacks and roots and stuff? Not at all. If anything, you might find it harsh in the beginning. (you'll look at that dual-crown fork and wonder why it doesn't feel like a Boxxer DH rig ). Rest assured, as soon as you hit the rought stuff it will open up nicely. You should not have the same problems as the regular Enduro you mention (I have not ridden one, but a friend has a real plush GT, couple of years old, I can relate to the issue of being too soft - not so with the SL!).
    -pedalling the SL while seated is great. If you hammer standing up it will move a lot more than a Stumpy (especially a pro-pedal or brain version). But I think you will find it very much OK on a city ride (I ride mine to work a couple of times per week, its a 10 mile drag on a mix of dirt, gravel, and tarmac).
    -One last word of caution: even if you shave some weight, I am pretty sure the SL will never feel like a Stumpy in regards to pedalling. The Stumpy has that very tight feeling, where every pedal stroke seems to come with a certain amount of "free roll" - I just don't get that feeling on the SL. So yeah, it will be a bit more tiring on a long ride - up to you to decide how much you are willing to put up with!

The good news is, you'll have a great bike either way! Good luck - tell us what you got in the end, and how you like your choice!

I'd like to thank all the opinions, and for your more than precise words, Iceman.

I picked up the SJ (a 2007 FSR Pro frame with a RS Revelation 426 Air U-Turn). The main reason for that was just about what you last listed: this bike will go fast! I have been rinding a Enduro (mine was a Enduro Comp 130) for some time, and kinda figured that 10mm less travel wouldn't hurt that much, and I could still get a power pedaling bike. I haven't give up on the Enduro SL, though; I couldn't buy it right now, but I already made a reservation for a black 2008 Enduro SL Comp. I figured I should go both ways and have the best of each one! So I start with the SJ, and about the year's end, I'll get the Enduro. That's because I could not make a real no-regrets choice - I just bought the SJ first because I loooove this model, and didn't like the 2008 at all, so I didn't want to miss this bike now, and the Enduro will remain unchanged - design wise - for 2008.

I'll post the pics here and in the dedicated post your Spesh pic thread as soon it's assembled and ready to rock!

Thank a lot again all you guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey Guys!

Superb thread!!!

I'm also deciding btween SJ and SL, a lil' bit more to the SL side. After seeing this thread, I will definetely go and have my down payment for my black 2008 SL Comp. Thank you all so much for sharing!!!

Would love to see the SL in some action pics!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gotgasRACING
    Hey Guys!

Superb thread!!!

I'm also deciding btween SJ and SL, a lil' bit more to the SL side. After seeing this thread, I will definetely go and have my down payment for my black 2008 SL Comp. Thank you all so much for sharing!!!

Would love to see the SL in some action pics!
    Heres a few of a black SL pro (though it's an 07)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Enduro for sure ! Go for it, you wont regret it for a mile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So how was the dual crown fork at clearing a dog shaped obstacle? :P

Now with More Wood
    Hey, seeing as people are still consulting this thread and haven't made up their minds yet, here's a review I wrote with some useful discussion in the thread taking place as well. Should give you a good idea of what to expect going either way (SJ or SL...):

Another Enduro SL review

Enjoy!

(That black SL looks great out there on the trail!!! It is such a lovely bike....just looking at mine in the garage makes we want to go out and ride it!!!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I lol'ed.

Glad you found a perfect bike, in however relative that term might be. Make sure you post pictures.
    Riding and loving it

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    No problems apart from the fur getting stuck...

mtbr member
    I just bought and assembled my new SJ. Man, what a sweet bike! I'll post the pics very soon. But since I now have an excelent trail bike, I fell short on the rough side of the trail, but I already have made a reservation for a 2008 Black Enduro SL Comp. I couldn't make an impartial choice, since both are great bike in their own ways, so I'll enjoy the fast side of the trail, the power and fast climbing and the tight turns down the singletracks while I wait for my Enduro, but I must say that the SJ rocks big time!

So far this is my setup:

SJ Pro FSR 2007 frame
    Revelation Air U-Turn
    Full XTR 2007 (F&R derailleurs, cogs, cranks, brakeset, rotors and shifters)
    Crossmax Enduro wheelset with Woodman Ti QRs
    Thomson stem and seatpost with Rival 130 saddle
    Easton EA70 handlebars with Odi Ruffian grips
    Maxxis Ignitor LUST 2.3 UST

Waiting for my XTR wheelset and pedals, and then I'll look for a pair of lighter tires. Hit the scales at 12,5kilograms. Hope to trim another 0,6kg with the upgrades, and go below 12kg.

mtbr member
    Do yourself a couple of favors with your new SJ:

1. Make sure to protect the rear pivot from the rear derailleur as it will strike it. While you're at it, protect the frame from any cables touching it (especially the brake hoses as they seem to be very abrasive). This includes the loops under the BB and the rear brake house routed inside the non-drive side chainstay.

2. Make sure to play with the sag settings, as I have found my 07 SJ to do better with more sag. I weigh 230 with no gear but leave the Triad at 230. I don't bottom it out, but it does use a lot of the travel on my "bigger" drops (around 3ft). The SJ seems to have a sweet-spot for me at 33% sag. My TALAS has around 30%, but it's a different fork from your selection.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    I just bought and assembled my new SJ. Man, what a sweet bike! I'll post the pics very soon. But since I now have an excelent trail bike, I fell short on the rough side of the trail, but I already have made a reservation for a 2008 Black Enduro SL Comp. I couldn't make an impartial choice, since both are great bike in their own ways, so I'll enjoy the fast side of the trail, the power and fast climbing and the tight turns down the singletracks while I wait for my Enduro, but I must say that the SJ rocks big time!

So far this is my setup:

SJ Pro FSR 2007 frame
    Revelation Air U-Turn
    Full XTR 2007 (F&R derailleurs, cogs, cranks, brakeset, rotors and shifters)
    Crossmax Enduro wheelset with Woodman Ti QRs
    Thomson stem and seatpost with Rival 130 saddle
    Easton EA70 handlebars with Odi Ruffian grips
    Maxxis Ignitor LUST 2.3 UST

Waiting for my XTR wheelset and pedals, and then I'll look for a pair of lighter tires. Hit the scales at 12,5kilograms. Hope to trim another 0,6kg with the upgrades, and go below 12kg.
    When you said you were looking for a new bike, you failed to specify that money wasn't an issue! Revelation, Full XTR, Crossmax.....DOOD, that is one sweet set-up. AND you are getting an SL to keep it company (those long nights in the garage sure can get lonesome for a young, single bike... ).

Enjoy them both!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Enduro is definately a great choice. It seems that many of us run into the same dilemma at this time. 07s are getting blown out of the water to make room for 08s and there is 1 SJ and 1 Enduro at the LBS. I made my decision and got the Enduro, just thought I can cope with the climbs for rec use, but it'll be a lot better going DH.

Just came across something the other day when I got a rear flat. How do I take the Wheel off the front? Never seen a setup with no quick lever release.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast