mtbr member

The 2007 Enduro. Help please.

I have decided that I want to get an Enduro but am not sure whether to get the Pro Carbon model or save myself some money and get the aluminium version as it has more tyre clearance which might make it more practical in the UK. I will be using this bike to do all riding as I do not want to buy more than one bike. I have also considered the Heckler and the Yeti 575 but the spesh looks far more advanced. All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Hi Vintage
    Another UK based rider here and have had a pro aluminium for 6 weeks and have found the 'one' bike for the UK. Interestingly I had a 575 for 8 months and this bike is a step above that bike for the UK and much better for hard riding, the 575 wasnt able to track across roots compared to HL. I went for the Aluminium version firstly after having some (? unjustified) doubts about carbon. Came from an M5 S-Works 06 enduro with M5 ali. After seeing an S-works enduro SL when picking up my SL realised I did the right descision because if you live where there's a lot of mud that nice gloss looked bound to get scuffed. As for the mud clearance being less for carbon this I was unaware of. I have been through bogs and sticky Welsh mud and no problems as yet which have affected a few bikes in our group. Off to Afan Argoed tomorrow for the first time after being in the new trail centre of Brechfa which is better than Afan. One thing to add though Some people say that carbon gives a better ride than Ali. True on Road bikes.
    You won't be dissapointed with the SL, Only heard great things about the new heckler though.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the informative response. I come from a road bike background and owned a number of Carbon bikes but I preferred aluminium as it gave better feedback. I have just read that there is very little difference in weight between the alu and carbon models so I don't think I can justify the price difference. I still like the look of the Heckler but which ever way i go I will end up with a great do-it-all bike.