Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    2006 Triad - any positive reviews?

    First post, so "hello".

    After poking around the forums a bit, and searching the LBS, I found a good deal on a 2006 Stumpjumper FSR. I've ridden it a dozen times or so with mixed results on the shock (Triad - too squishy, too firm, etc). I've read a bunch of negative comments on the shock, but before I toss it after such a short time, I'm wondering if anyone has had good results with the shock after getting it dialed-in for their riding style. Any good methods for getting the shock tuned the best? I would be interested in your comments. Thanks.

  2. #2
    z71
    z71 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    148
    The 06 Triad is awsome. You get it tuned perfect and then the thing craps out on you and gets stuck down. What a **** shock. I replaced mine with a fox float R. It won't be long before yours craps out. Thats the problem it might last long and before you know it you will see it stuck down. I guess ride it and do maintance on it and if you have problems with it getting stuck down swap it out. At least there are other shocks you can replace it with.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lumbee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,909
    Stuck down is only a very minor problem compared to the performance of the shock. The Triad is a very basic shock with none of the same performance aspects of other shocks that carry the Fox name. It was purely a marketing decision to install the Triad on the Stumpy and it is the weak link of a truly great bike.

    Triad setup:
    Throw out the manual.
    Start with 10psi over your weight.
    The shock will feel sloppy and suck pedal energy but will feel smooth over small rocks and roots.
    Continue adding 5 psi of air until you start to loose some of the small bump sensitivity.
    This keeps the Triad from blowing through the travel and maintaining some resistance to bob.

    Footnote:
    I rode with another rider on a Heckler with a Float R. While spinning equally up a long hill, I noticed that his shock hardly moved. My Triad was at 30psi over my weight in propedal and it was bobbing like crazy.
    Add to the fact that a single pivot is the bob king while a Horst link is supposed to eliminate bob through its design and you really start to see how bad the Triad is.

  4. #4
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,447
    If you can afford it, ditch the Triad and get a RP23 from a Cannondale Rush. It's soooooo worth every penny. My Stumpy FSR is so sweet to ride now. It's great in the woods and on the fireroads. The shock completely changed my opinion of this bike...to the positive.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lumbee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    If you can afford it, ditch the Triad and get a RP23 from a Cannondale Rush. It's soooooo worth every penny. My Stumpy FSR is so sweet to ride now. It's great in the woods and on the fireroads. The shock completely changed my opinion of this bike...to the positive.
    Hey Todd, we still need that long term ride report on the RP23

  6. #6
    z71
    z71 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Stuck down is only a very minor problem compared to the performance of the shock. The Triad is a very basic shock with none of the same performance aspects of other shocks that carry the Fox name. It was purely a marketing decision to install the Triad on the Stumpy and it is the weak link of a truly great bike.

    Triad setup:
    Throw out the manual.
    Start with 10psi over your weight.
    The shock will feel sloppy and suck pedal energy but will feel smooth over small rocks and roots.
    Continue adding 5 psi of air until you start to loose some of the small bump sensitivity.
    This keeps the Triad from blowing through the travel and maintaining some resistance to bob.

    Footnote:
    I rode with another rider on a Heckler with a Float R. While spinning equally up a long hill, I noticed that his shock hardly moved. My Triad was at 30psi over my weight in propedal and it was bobbing like crazy.
    Add to the fact that a single pivot is the bob king while a Horst link is supposed to eliminate bob through its design and you really start to see how bad the Triad is.
    Don't get me wrong I agree with everything you say about the Triad and I do think its performance stinks but to say that the stuck down issue is a very minor problem is wrong. You pay almost $2000 for a bike and the shock gets stuck down at around 70 miles. What a joke. It is a easy fix if you know how to tar apart the shock but alot of people don't and end up having to send the shock back to fox for the fix and are without a bike for weeks. There should be a recall on the Fox Triad you cannot even ride in the winter with it. I have my Fox Float R on and have around 30 miles on it riding in the cold and it just simply out performs the triad in every way. And the Fox Float R is cheaper than the Triad. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    Guys, thanks for the info. I think I'll pursue the RP23 option.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lumbee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by z71
    Don't get me wrong I agree with everything you say about the Triad and I do think its performance stinks but to say that the stuck down issue is a very minor problem is wrong. You pay almost $2000 for a bike and the shock gets stuck down at around 70 miles. What a joke. It is a easy fix if you know how to tar apart the shock but alot of people don't and end up having to send the shock back to fox for the fix and are without a bike for weeks. There should be a recall on the Fox Triad you cannot even ride in the winter with it. I have my Fox Float R on and have around 30 miles on it riding in the cold and it just simply out performs the triad in every way. And the Fox Float R is cheaper than the Triad. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.
    Ah .... My Triad lasted close to 100 miles and it was only at Fox for a month!

  9. #9
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,447
    Only a month. That was quick. It took 6 weeks for mine to get back. From what I was told, this is not the norm.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

  10. #10
    Mud Boy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    315

    RP23, you won't be sorry

    realize that the RP23, like all other Fox Float shocks, is subject to the dreaded "stuck down" issue. My Triad never stuck down, after almost a full season of $hit performance. It did get a rebuild from Push at the initial three month point though.

    On the second ride with the RP23, it stuck down. Outside airtemp was low 40's when the ride started
    . But...the Rp23 performed much better stuck down, than the Triad EVER did

    Definately the best performance upgrade you can make to the chassis. I'll say it again, Specialized should be ashamed to have put the Triad on any Stumpjumper. When you spend $2k plus on a mtn bike, you expect performance. That shock belongs on a Mongoose from Walmart, not no Stumpy!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    After looking into an RP23 from Cannondale or buying one and then having the stroke changed, I had a "what the heck" moment. I ordered an RP23 from Push that will have the stroke changed to 1.75" and all of the other bells and whistles from Push. Should get it in a couple of weeks or so. Once I have it installed and ridden it I'll post a review.

  12. #12
    jcard14
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    138
    Is there any difference between the 06 and 07 Triads?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lumbee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by jcard14
    Is there any difference between the 06 and 07 Triads?
    Yes. I thought the 06 Triad 7.5 x 1.75 was a strange size. Well the 07 Triad is even more extreme, 7.75 x 1.75. I don't think anyone makes a shock with these specs.

    I rode with a buddy that has a 07 Comp. I have the 06 Base model. After riding together for a few miles, we stopped for a break. He was running less air pressure than his weight in the Triad and yet he was using only 65% of his travel. I run 30psi over my weight, 200lbs, and I was using 90 to 95% of my travel. So there may be other differences we don't know about.

  14. #14
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Yes. I thought the 06 Triad 7.5 x 1.75 was a strange size. Well the 07 Triad is even more extreme, 7.75 x 1.75. I don't think anyone makes a shock with these specs.

    I rode with a buddy that has a 07 Comp. I have the 06 Base model. After riding together for a few miles, we stopped for a break. He was running less air pressure than his weight in the Triad and yet he was using only 65% of his travel. I run 30psi over my weight, 200lbs, and I was using 90 to 95% of my travel. So there may be other differences we don't know about.
    Haha!!!

    It was probably in "lockout " mode.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

  15. #15
    Mud Boy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    315

    check that...

    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Haha!!!

    It was probably in "lockout " mode.

    you mean "firm-suck" mode, as oppposed to open-suck and pro-suck?

  16. #16
    thecentralscrutinizer
    Reputation: mopartodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,447
    Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy
    you mean "firm-suck" mode, as oppposed to open-suck and pro-suck?
    Hahaha!!!

    You're right, that's exactly what I meant to say.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •