mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2006 Stumpjumper upgrade help!!

I purchase a 2006 Stumpjumper frame dirt cheap (250). Along with the cheap frame I got a cheap build kit (600)!
    From the build kit I changed some parts to match my riding style. The changes are as follows:
    FORK: Manitou Splice Elite, 130mm travel (Upgraded to Fox RLC Talas cost 250)
    REAR Der: Shimano LX (upgraded to Shimano XT)
    FRONT Der: Shimano LX, 1 3/8"{34.9}, TP,TSW (upgraded to sram 2007 x9)
    SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore 9sp. (upgraded to 07 sram x9, total drivetrain upgrade 150)
    DISC BRAKES: Hayes Hydraulic SOLE XC Disc, 6" (upgraded to Avid Juicy 7)
    BRAKE LEVERS: Hayes Hydraulic (upgraded to Avid Juicy 7 total cost 150, btw the hayes brakes are garbage)
    TIRES: Hutchinson Bulldog Airlight, 26x2.3" (replaced worn tires with maxxis dhf front 2.35 and maxxis high roller 2.35 rear total cost around 50)

THE REMAINING PARTS ARE FROM THE BUILD KIT.
    HANDLEBAR: Easton EA30 Aluminum Low Rise, Black
    STEM: Easton EA30, Black
    SEATPOST: Easton EA50, 30.9, Black
    CRANKS: RaceFace Ride XC, 22/32/44T, Black
    BOTTOM BRACKET: RaceFace SRX ISIS, 68x113mm
    CHAIN: Shimano LX Hg53 9sp.
    CASSETTE: Sram PG950 11-34 9sp.
    FRONT HUB: Formula Disc Large Flange, Black, 32hole
    REAR HUB: Formula Disc Large Flange, Black, 32hole
    RIMS: Alex DP20 Disc All Mountain, 32h, Black
    SPOKES: Stainless 14/15g Butted, Black
    HEADSET: FSA PIG DH, 1 1/8", Black

What do you suggest for my next upgrade? or should I just leave this stumpy alone and ride the sucker till something breaks? I like to ride alot of single track and some drops. Climbing is very important to me, so if you can suggest an upgrade that might help climb more efficient. Budget is around $500. Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this thread!

mtbr member
    When did SRAM make x9 shifters that work with a XT rear derailleur?

The EA30 stuff is lowend. Step up to EA50 or better. The EA70 might be an option as well but the price might not justify it.
    Get a different crankset. Truvativ Stylo (stock on the 06 Stumpy) or the RaceFace Evolve XC.
    Upgrade to a SRAM chain. Much easier to service with the power link.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Lose the Triad shock if that's what you have. I agree with Lumbee1 on the powerlink connector.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Lumbee thanks for you comments, but the front derailleur is the xt and the rear is x9 and the shifters are x9. sorry about the mix up.

Mopartodd thanks for your comments, but I was looking for an alternative for the triad but I can't find anything with the same size. Any recommendations is really appreciated.

aside from easier service, does the sram chain provide any other advantages? what advantage does the crankset provide? sorry for the rookie questions, I'm just trying to learn about a sport that I really enjoy.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by r6ryder
    Mopartodd thanks for your comments, but I was looking for an alternative for the triad but I can't find anything with the same size. Any recommendations is really appreciated.
    You can use an RP23 off of a Cannondale Rush. I ordered mine through a local dealer. It works great compared to the Triad.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r6ryder
    Lumbee thanks for you comments, but the front derailleur is the xt and the rear is x9 and the shifters are x9. sorry about the mix up.

aside from easier service, does the sram chain provide any other advantages? what advantage does the crankset provide? sorry for the rookie questions, I'm just trying to learn about a sport that I really enjoy.
    I had a Shimano chain on my first bike and my Stumpy came with an SRAM chain. The Shimano chain had bent links, several burrs, and was a pain in the butt to work on. The SRAM chain has had zero problems and I have removed it several times with the power link to wash it and re-oil it.

I don't know the model numbers of either chain.

Going for a ride......
    I'd upgrade the EA30 components. Get some OS bars if that's to your liking.
    I'd look at Race Face Deus XC with a Thomson X4 stem or one from RaceFace.
    or check out Syncros bars & their new AM stem.

For the seatpost the universal choice is Thomson of course.
    energetix

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

wheelset is an anchor

I bet they weight 2200+grams, if not more. Get a better wheelset, and convert to tubeless with Stan's sealant. I bet you'll take 2 lbs off the bike with that upgrade alone.

The first pedal rotation, and you'll feel the difference. You'll be two gears higher than before.

A hi zoot wheelset can cost big $$, you should be able to get a really good set for under $500. Check e-bay for some deals. I'm a Mavic/Hugi fan myself.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mavic crossmax XL's are great.. Very strong and pretty light. Can be found on Ebay for 400 to 500 buckaroos..