Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2006 StumpJumper - first impression

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  HiHoEskimo 
#1 ·
Specialized really got the 2006 Stumpjumper right. I bought an S Works (aluminum) last week and rode it on Sunday. It replaced an '04 Stumpjumper, which replaced an '03 Epic. First of all, the pedals are placed higher. You don't feel the difference, but they don't strike the ground anymore. And the handling is even better -- I loved the way my '04 worked, but the '06 is even better -- it seems to steer, ever so slightly, slower. The suspension is truly assume -- the '06 Brain is definitely superior to the unit that came on my '03 Epic (which I thought worked really good at the time). And it is light -- about 26 lb.s, with 5 inches of travel. The tires are great, the new shifters work really well........., I really didn't find anything about the bike that I wasn't happy with.
If you are considering a StumpJumper, you won't make a mistake buying one. It is one fantastic bike.

#2 ·
Thank God someone else has finally bought an 06 stumpy with brain!! I don't know if you've read other threads on the 06 stumpy Pro, but I've been complaining about my remote brain not working as I would have expected.

My shock bobs a lot, and there is no real difference between the fim and soft settings that I can notice. Can you feel a definite resistance point by pushing on the seat? How much shock travel is there before this point? I can get almost half shock stroke in bob just sitting and spinning up a sealed road. Is yours nice and firm with just a bit of initial play?

Comparing to your '03 Epic (my last bike) how stiff is the shock when you are on the flat?

Please, please tell me everything you can about your remote brain fade shock!! We are limited for experience and knowledge regarding this shock in Australia. I hope mine has a problem.

Thank you!

#3 ·
mspeaks said:
Specialized really got the 2006 Stumpjumper right. I bought an S Works (aluminum) last week and rode it on Sunday. It replaced an '04 Stumpjumper, which replaced an '03 Epic. First of all, the pedals are placed higher. You don't feel the difference, but they don't strike the ground anymore. And the handling is even better -- I loved the way my '04 worked, but the '06 is even better -- it seems to steer, ever so slightly, slower. The suspension is truly assume -- the '06 Brain is definitely superior to the unit that came on my '03 Epic (which I thought worked really good at the time). And it is light -- about 26 lb.s, with 5 inches of travel. The tires are great, the new shifters work really well........., I really didn't find anything about the bike that I wasn't happy with.
If you are considering a StumpJumper, you won't make a mistake buying one. It is one fantastic bike.
Dammit, why did they only raise the BB height on the Carbon and M5 Stumpy? This sucks. If they had raised the BB height on all of their SJ models, I'd give no second thought to buying one. :mad: But I'm going to attend the demo trail day this coming weekend, (Specialized, Rocky Mountain and Giant) so hopefully I'll be able to test ride the SJ PRO with the brain on REAL trails. I'm very curious to how the bike feels. Santa Cruz Blur seems tempting too. :D Can't wait till this weekend. :D

BTW, why did you ditch your 04? Pedal smacking got to you?

#4 ·
Daffunda said:
Dammit, why did they only raise the BB height on the Carbon and M5 Stumpy? This sucks. If they had raised the BB height on all of their SJ models, I'd give no second thought to buying one. :mad: But I'm going to attend the demo trail day this coming weekend, (Specialized, Rocky Mountain and Giant) so hopefully I'll be able to test ride the SJ PRO with the brain on REAL trails. I'm very curious to how the bike feels. Santa Cruz Blur seems tempting too. :D Can't wait till this weekend. :D

Actually, according to the Specialized Website, only the Carbon S-works has the raised bottom bracket. 349mm for the carbon, and 338mm for all aluminum models with the fork at 130mm

#5 ·
S-works...very very nice for you,I didn't have the money to buy the s-works or the Stumpy pro with the brain so I bought the 06 expert model if any of you interested.
It sweeps single tracks like butter.The Talas does its job more then I expected.
Going down is great,going up is not ideal for me I dont know why (I had an old Cannondale Raven 2000 that were flying up).
I'm replacing the tyres to Geax Arrojo 2.0 in the front for speed and WTB WeirWolf 2.1 on the back. I hope that will ease my efforts of climbing.
I replaced the horrible hard saddle and shifters to XT.
Very confidence giving bike.
I had only few rides but if you ask me and you dont have the extra $$$$ forget the brain and buy the expert.

#7 ·
Tarekith said:
Rough guess, how much of a drop do you think the new 06 FSR's can handle?
The only drops I took so far were not bigger then 0.5 m.
I like the moderate singletracks so you should ask other bad boys in this site.
I felt they can do bigger drops with no efforts. Dont forget, this are not Enduro but you can push them with no worries at all.
Enjoy...

#9 ·
J Specialized P said:
Thank God someone else has finally bought an 06 stumpy with brain!! I don't know if you've read other threads on the 06 stumpy Pro, but I've been complaining about my remote brain not working as I would have expected.

My shock bobs a lot, and there is no real difference between the fim and soft settings that I can notice. Can you feel a definite resistance point by pushing on the seat? How much shock travel is there before this point? I can get almost half shock stroke in bob just sitting and spinning up a sealed road. Is yours nice and firm with just a bit of initial play?

Comparing to your '03 Epic (my last bike) how stiff is the shock when you are on the flat?

Please, please tell me everything you can about your remote brain fade shock!! We are limited for experience and knowledge regarding this shock in Australia. I hope mine has a problem.

Thank you!
When I turn the knob to the firmest setting the shock on my 06 StumpJumper feels much like my Epic did. If I push on the seat, the shock feels fully locked. I have been running my shock 3 clicks from the firmest position and I get immediate response to bumps, but no bob.

#10 ·
mspeaks said:
When I turn the knob to the firmest setting the shock on my 06 StumpJumper feels much like my Epic did. If I push on the seat, the shock feels fully locked. I have been running my shock 3 clicks from the firmest position and I get immediate response to bumps, but no bob.
Thanks mate, that is really good to know - you have no idea how much I have been stressing about this!!

What you describe is exactly what I had expected.

Time to call the big S I think and officially complain!

#11 ·
Daffunda said:
But I'm going to attend the demo trail day this coming weekend, (Specialized, Rocky Mountain and Giant) so hopefully I'll be able to test ride the SJ PRO with the brain on REAL trails. I'm very curious to how the bike feels. Santa Cruz Blur seems tempting too. :D Can't wait till this weekend. :D

You HAVE TO let me know what you think of the SJ Brain. I'm thinking of getting one for racing. If I can't ride rocks on it then I will never beable to ride rocks! I'm interested in how much bob there is while climbing and riding on smooth dirt or paved surfaces (uphill and flat) both in and out of the seat.

Your lucky to you have a dirt demo near you! Have fun! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.