mtbr member
    Oct 2003

2006 Specialized Epic Marathon Fair Market Value

I have a 2006 Specialized Epic Marathon Disc that I want to list on Craigslist or possibly here on MTBR. I am missing the 26" wheels which I transferred to another build. Other main components: Fox lockable 100mm fork last serviced by Push Industries, XT crankset, Sram X9 rear der, XTR front der. The bike has been sitting in storage for the last 4 years as I have pursued other interests in biking (into touring and randonneuring now.) My thought was to keep it just in case I decide to get back into MTBing, but I don't think that's happening.

So, could anyone please help me with what would be the fair market value for this bike (minus wheels) so I can list it ASAP. I'm in San Diego.

Thank you!

Waiting for peace

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get some wheels for it so you can sell it as a functioning bike. Nice 26 inch wheelsets go pretty cheap on ebay. As a rideable bike with good front and rear shocks I would guess it worth between 800 and 1300.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    BTW that blue book site seems to give very very optimistic if not unrealistic prices. I book my 2008 Racer-X XT build as having an original MSRP of 5800, and a current value of over 3000. Anyone interested in a 5 year old 26 inch Racer x. I will sell for 200 dollars less the the book value.

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Get some wheels for it so you can sell it as a functioning bike. Nice 26 inch wheelsets go pretty cheap on ebay. As a rideable bike with good front and rear shocks I would guess it worth between 800 and 1300.

I've been debating whether to do this and still be able to recoup the investment. Are you saying 26" wheelsets go cheap because most people prefer 29ers now?

Thank you for the link. I checked the Bicycle Blue Book and it's showing $1,400 for a complete bike.
    Last edited by Chris Pringle; 03-18-2013 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    BTW that blue book site seems to give very very optimistic if not unrealistic prices. I book my 2008 Racer-X XT build as having an original MSRP of 5800, and a current value of over 3000. Anyone interested in a 5 year old 26 inch Racer x. I will sell for 200 dollars less the the book value.
    Good info to know. I guess it will also depend on your local market, won't it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes 26 inch XC wheelsets go cheap because so many XC riders have switched to 29. You can search sold listings on ebay and see what epics similar to yours have sold for. Probably a better estimate of its value then that blue book.

You could also try Goodbye cycle. They advertise that they buy any used bike, but keep in mind that all they do is clean it and sell it on ebay, so expect them to want to buy it for way less then you could sell it for on your own. Just like trade in on a car its certainly not the best deal but is quick and easy.

PM me