Thread: 2006 Epic Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2006 Epic Disc

Ok, so I'm looking to get into a FS on a poor college student budget lol. This kid from school is willing to sell his epic disc for what seems to be a pretty reasonable price.

Is there anything I should look at for excessive wear? I already have a specialized hardtail. I know its a tank. However I'm a noob in the FS world.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a 2004 Epic which I think is essentially the same frame design as the 2006. Things I would look for:

Check that the Brain keeps the rear shock locked out when stationary and opens up when hitting a bump. (Brains are filled with nitrogen and need to be serviced by Specialized. Over time they lose their charge and thus ability to keep the shock locked out -- at least mine did. After a rebuild it was like new.) Lean on the seat with the bike stationary and it should have just a little sag. Lift the rear and drop it, lean again on the seat quickly and the shock should be active. (2006 Brains may have had a bump threshold to adjust sensitivity - not sure.)

Check all the suspension pivot bearings for excessive play. This depends on how many miles are on the bike. I had to replace mine as they wore out.

Ask if the fork has been serviced regularly (like at least every other season). Check the lockout if equipped.

Obviously check all other typical components for exessive wear: cassette, chain, chainrings, bottom bracket, headset, cables and housings, etc. All these things need regular maintenance. Check for any frame damage (especially derailleur hanger area - mine cracked in that area and Specialized replaced the rear triangle under warranty).

My 2004 was a fabulous bike that I rode and raced for years and put a ton of miles on until replacing it (with another Epic!) just last season. I still ride it from time to time.
    Last edited by Burning Matches; 01-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey I appreciate the info for testing out the rear suspension! Just curious..how much was the rebuild cost on the brain?

I've only seen pictures so far. The fork he has on it now is a rockshox "psylo". Has the lockout. Pretty excited about looking at it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sure, no problem. My Brain rebuild was a couple years ago but I think it was upwards of $100 or so. I was amazed at the difference though when it came back. I guess it had gotten soft over time and I never really noticed, but it was like a brand new bike after the rebuild. I had forgotten how effective the Brain is.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I had the 2006 epic marathon and it was a great bike. Climbed like a mountain goat, handled bumps really well whilst still having a pedal platform for the flatter trails. The only thing I did was put on wider bars as the stock ones were pretty narrow

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've only heard good things as far as XC bikes go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just found out the frame is a medium. Im 5' 11", pretty comfortable on my 19" hardrock. Will medium be to small?

Also, will it say medium on the frame somewhere? This guys not 100% sure of size.
    Last edited by Jacknife417; 01-27-2012 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am also 5'11" and my 2004 Epic is a large. It fits me, but I had a professional fitting done and had to make some tweaks to the setup: I went with a shorter stem and moved the saddle nearly all the way forward.

When I bought my new 2011 Epic last year, I was between sizes and ended up going with the medium (which was the right choice). Either size would have fit but the medium was easier to handle and adjust.

That being said, I am not sure how the dimensions/geometries vary between the two models.

My 2004 frame had a sticker on the seat tube that had a big "L" on it indicating the size. That sticker fell off a few years ago however, so no guaranteeing that it would be on your bike.