mtbr member

2005 Stumpy Expert, Durable?

Ok I have this 2005 stumpjumper expert 120 that I purchased about 4 months ago. Apart from a little problem with a loose stanchion in the right fork (being sent back to Fox today), this bike seems quite sturdy. I've heard alot (even from the dealer) about how the bushings can wear out on the linkages in the rear triangle. But what I want to know is what kind of pounding can this bike take?

I've ridden it only on fire roads and relatively smooth and hilly singletrack so far. But I was thinking of taking it on some rougher trails up in Auburn, CA. What (if any) kinds of tricks, jumps, or drops can this thing handle regularly.

The rear triangle is currently stiff and strong and supple and I would like to keep it that way. Is there anything I can do to beef up the bike a bit? Or at least to prevent damage (besides not riding it!) ??

Two wheels are best
    I've been riding mine for about a year and a half...small drops, roots a good bit of just plain rough trail. No problems for me so far.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Got Ventana
    I ride mine pretty hard (for what it is). 3 foot drops, jumps, rough trails and even took it ot on a 4X track the other day. Handles everything I throw at it.

Mind you i have upgraded the wheel set to Sunringle SOS rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    http://media.putfile.com/Bike-Movie-Trailer

Did that answer your question? Think I should still be doing that or should I quit those kinds of drops?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaDakota
    http://media.putfile.com/Bike-Movie-Trailer

Did that answer your question? Think I should still be doing that or should I quit those kinds of drops?

Are you serious? I think the Stumpy could probably handle drops like that. Maybe I'm crazy.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy84
    I ride mine pretty hard (for what it is). 3 foot drops, jumps, rough trails and even took it ot on a 4X track the other day. Handles everything I throw at it.

Mind you i have upgraded the wheel set to Sunringle SOS rims.
    how long have you had your bike?

Got Ventana
    About 7 months. Don't really drop to flat though, usually to a transition

mtbr member

Hey Santa thats funny as hell

Santa-you make an old dude laugh his head off this am watching yall crash your bikes and other stuff- that Dog is cool to- he has a future in advertising-post some more video-but be careful. LOL take care.

mtbr member

how about a wheelie?

Can the rear triangle take the stress of an extended wheelie?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Only one set of bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Fish on a Bike
    Ok I have this 2005 stumpjumper expert 120 that I purchased about 4 months ago. Apart from a little problem with a loose stanchion in the right fork (being sent back to Fox today), this bike seems quite sturdy. I've heard alot (even from the dealer) about how the bushings can wear out on the linkages in the rear triangle. But what I want to know is what kind of pounding can this bike take?

I've ridden it only on fire roads and relatively smooth and hilly singletrack so far. But I was thinking of taking it on some rougher trails up in Auburn, CA. What (if any) kinds of tricks, jumps, or drops can this thing handle regularly.

The rear triangle is currently stiff and strong and supple and I would like to keep it that way. Is there anything I can do to beef up the bike a bit? Or at least to prevent damage (besides not riding it!) ??
    The only bushings in the rear are inside the lower shock eyelets which will wear out depending on how much you ride and how heavy you are. If you keep the bolts tight inside the shock plate, you'll make them last longer. If you end up wearing them out, Push can set up with beefer ones. Otherwise its bearings all around.

Nice vid btw.

punga!