mtbr member

2005 Stumpjumper FSR Vs 2007 Stumpjumper FSR

I currently have a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR Expert 120. I was wondering if there is any difference in performance from the 2005 to the 2007?

I was thinking about either upgrading some parts on my 2005 bike or buying a 2007.

The only real complaint i have with this bike is i hit my pedals a lot when i ride the north east. Did they raise the bottom bracket on the 2007?

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i remember seeing someone who had a picture that morphed from an old stumpy to the new one... i forgot what year but the new one was an 07, the BB height did increase, it looked like quite a significant amount.

mtbr member
    For a good performance upgrade, get your front and rear shocks PUSHed. The Septune rear shock will get a little bit more progressive and won't go through its travel as easily as before, so you won't hit your pedals as much. Rebound and propedal will be much better also because they can be modified to anything you like.

I would rather spend my money upgrading my bike to make it lighter than just update to something newer with equal, heavy components.

mtbr member
    double post

mtbr member
    I have an 07 and I love it. But I would definately upgrade my existing one and eventually get all the parts that I want on it. You could even get a BETD link on it and change out the shocks, or get them "PUSHed" as mentioned already. Or, just get an awesome wheelset and call it a day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ive heard a lot about "push" but can they make the Fox Float have a compression adjustment? or am i SOL on that one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I went the upgrade route with my 2005 SJ120 expert since I'm thinking of getting a SX trail as my second bike...I got the shock pushed and installed the BETD link on my bike...The shock is now just like Plussa said slightly firmer and doesn't blow through the travel like before...I can actually notice the difference in the pro pedal setting now...also from measuring my wife's 2007 SJ Expert my bottom bracket height is just as high and I haven't noticed any adverse handling affects from the increased height...either way they are both great bikes with the right upgrades but if you go with the 2007 get the brain....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i ride an 05, mu buddy rides an 07. i ride his often when he rides my big hit and i have to say i dont like the new style, i really like my 05 better. but i do take better care of my bike so....

Lusus Naturae
    All I can say is my 07 Comp is excellent. Anything more is just more icing on the cake.

Pro Lurker
    May 2006

Dumb Question

What does it mean to have your shocks pushed? I dont like how close my shock comes to bottoming out.
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural stupidity"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    factory tuning by Push Industries http://www.pushindustries.com/
    Cost $150 + s/h...

Pro Lurker
    May 2006
    Nice!
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural stupidity"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    I have an 07 and I love it. But I would definately upgrade my existing one and eventually get all the parts that I want on it. You could even get a BETD link on it and change out the shocks, or get them "PUSHed" as mentioned already. Or, just get an awesome wheelset and call it a day.
    Does the BETD linkage work on the 06 Stmpjumper FSR ?

mtbr member
    I emailed them about it, and here is Dan's response:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan at BETD
    Thanks for your mail.

I haven't tried one of the linakges on the 07 frame but I think that it should work. As far as I know nothing has changed. If you are willing to try one out and if its incorrect I will give you a full refund.

Regards,

Dan
    So just email them first and see what they say. I know the 07 has bearings at the shock end, but I thought I read a person was using the BETD link on an 06.

mtbr member

2005 vs. 2007

I owned a 2005 Pro. Felt flexy and I couldn't ever dial the suspension the way I wanted. I always had too much bob and not enough smoothness. The bike was racier than the 2007comp. So I sold it.

I recently bought a 2007 Comp. Big difference. The 2007 is stiffer. The Triad is better than the Septune because it is easier to use, and the settings allow for a more discernable difference between one another. The Float RL is much much better than the Manitou Minute 1:00 that I had. SRAM componentry outperforms the Shimano without question. The 2007 comp feels beefier...and i don't mind the extra weight becuase I feel aas though the 2007 is far more durable.

If you can, I think you would benefit from the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Nice, a direct comparison. I wish I could ride an older one to see the difference, but I know that mine is quite stiff laterally. That's why I couldn't understand why people called them flexy all the time, but it might have just been the older ones.