mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2005 stumpjumper FSR 120 Pro - rear shock

i am looking to purchase a 2005 stumpjumper FSR 120 Pro from a friend

i have a question about the rear shocks. It has Fox Float Septune, with the 7 positions. Can I adjust it so that I can have no shock absorption when I am going paved trails? Is this shock like the FOX brain fade? Thanks

is the fox float septune any good?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know wutcha mean, I wish it was more firm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have that same bike - and no you can not lock it out completely.

You can set it to the firmest pro pedal setting - and if your air pressure is set up right it will be pretty firm.

That shock is pretty good - I have 2 years of hard riding on mine with no real issues.

Supposedly if you send it off to PUSH they can make the pro pedal even stiffer - if that is what you want. I think I am going to be sending mine out to them shortly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have an 05 Stumpy Pro that has had its shock PUSHed. tbh it is not that much of an improvement. It still bobs a lot under hard pedalling. get a shock with a lockout/brain

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Get an RP23! I have the '05 swork frame w/c had the Septune. I have just replaced it. Its a fantastic upgrade!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trengot
    I have an 05 Stumpy Pro that has had its shock PUSHed. tbh it is not that much of an improvement. It still bobs a lot under hard pedalling. get a shock with a lockout/brain
    Sound like the problem is not in the shock but somewhere else. It definitely shouldn't bob if you've got your bike dialed in properly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the RP23 doesnt have a complete lock out either, i know this shock is a favourite at the moment but i do a lot of urban riding on my FS and im very appreaciative that i can completely lock out the front and rear, they say the RP23 wont bob on the firmest setting but will still absorb bumps, id definately have to try that before hand

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Indeed there is still slight bob, but hardly. Compared to the Septune from w/c I upgraded from,
    the bobbing is much, much less (given the same 1/4 length sag rqmt) but the big difference is the sensitivity of the action of the shock.

The Septune is not a push over though it served me well for a year and a half but the difference in performance is definitely felt and not imagined (to justify the extra expense, hahaha).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    mmm im still dubious, im just using the stock x fusion which ive found a lot of people scoff at but for my urban riding i like to have no bob whatsoever and the x fusion really delivers that, feels like a rigid bike and thats what i like on the street, then when i get to the rough i open it up and im good to go, it works fine for me that way, until something goes wrong ill stick with it

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes, I think you should keep your current shock as well. It seems to satisfy your needs. I wouldn't have changed my septune, till it broke down.

I'm just glad I took the chance because the 23 is performing much, much better than the septune.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    2005 and 2006 were the best years IMO. I had this exact bike and it rocks! I now have Nomad, but before I sold it, I was going on getting the shock pushed or an RP23. MB Action gave the Pushed shock a great review so if your pressed for cash get it Pushed. Buy the bike, it rocks! It's all going to bob a little...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im not going to change anything on my bike , granted there are better options out there but its not exactly some ghetto bike that ive got, everything functions like clockwork at the moment, i was inquiring about booking a bike excursion yesterday and they had two 07 stumpjumpers sitting in the corner of the shop, i asked the guy could i take a look because id never seen a stumpjumper in real life before, the better componants i noticed straight away but i picked the bike up out of curiosity and it was noticable lighter than my xc, i didnt think there would be much of a difference in weight but it felt a few pounds lighter to me

over my head
    I've got the same bike but with the Triad shock (warranty replacement frame / shock) and it has the lockout / Propedal / fully active. i almost always rode it in Propedal and I never noticed the bob. Work on your set up.
    BTW, I'm willing to sell frame, post, Minute 1 and FD
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

Fat Guy Riding
    Bump for a question - What size RP23 fits the 05 SJ FSR Expert? Is the RP23 the right choice over a Brain equipped shock?