mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New question here. 2005 Specialized Hardrock Comp or Pro

I'm looking at the 2005 Specialized Hardrock Comp and Pro but I'm not to sure which on I should get. Is there any better hardtail bikes in the $400-$700 range?

I mostly do XC trail riding but I occasionally go on the road. I also go off small drop offs and jumps.

What bike should I get and what types of upgrades should I get on it if neccasarry?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Get the hardrock with disc. No need for the high end one (700). You just need the disc brakes imho. I have the vbrake one and wished i had stronger brake. But i didn't regret about the components. Its a good and durable bike. I still have mine and ride it once in a while.

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004
    It seems that you have already decided on a RockHopper, but now you want to decide on the components. So how about you take both them badboys out and test ride them for a few miles and see which one feels better under you. Think about what your doing and where you're going and compare them. The one you like the best is the one you drop the coin on.

Have fun!
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    By the way. I posted a pic of my ride in the gallery section under XC hard tails. I think that's where it is anyway. The title is "My 1st "real" moutain bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineMTBrider
    I'm looking at the 2005 Specialized Hardrock Comp and Pro but I'm not to sure which on I should get. Is there any better hardtail bikes in the $400-$700 range?

I mostly do XC trail riding but I occasionally go on the road. I also go off small drop offs and jumps.

What bike should I get and what types of upgrades should I get on it if neccasarry?

Thanks

I bought a Rockhopper Comp Disc and love the bike! Like you I do trail riding and some riding around town. Haven't had the first problem with my bike. I got mine for $700. I would definitly get discs. I'm fairly new to mountain biking but I quickly learned that discs are where it's at.

Now more evil for 2005!
    Aug 2004
    As an aside.
    I was thinking Hardrock when I was typing Rockhopper. Sorry, I was jazzed over today's ride...
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineMTBrider

Thanks
    Something to consider is the Rockhopper. I know you probably have your mind set on a bike with disc brakes, and if so, you could get the comp disc version. Rockhopper is a better built bike than the Hardrock and comes with far better components. I'm not trying to rip on the Hardrock, but it is the bottom line bike from Specialized. The Rockhopper is lighter and built to last. I just upgraded from my 2004 Rockhopper to a new 2005 Rockhopper Comp Disc, and I'm still taken aback by the sheer quality of the frame and the high end components.

Back on your question...I'd say, if you're set on getting a Hardrock, to get the Sport Disc version and have the bike shop upgrade the rear derailleur to anything Deore or higher. This saves the bux and gives you a good driveline. All Hardrock frames are the same...the only difference between each model is the componentry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Th' Mule
    It seems that you have already decided on a RockHopper, but now you want to decide on the components. So how about you take both them badboys out and test ride them for a few miles and see which one feels better under you. Think about what your doing and where you're going and compare them. The one you like the best is the one you drop the coin on.

Have fun!

The only problem with test driving the Hardrock Pro is that the bike shops that I have gone say that it's a special order and I have to put a down payment on it to order it.
    Do you know if there are any shops in the New England area that have the Hardrock Pro in stock?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've got the 2005 Hardrock Sport Disc and love it. But... I do wish I would have gone with a Rockhopper w/ disc. Yeah, it's twice as much money. But I have put more than 400 miles on my bike in less than 3 months and am already looking at upgrading. If it wasn't for money, I would! But if you do go with the Hardrock, definately get it with discs. They've been invaluable. Depends on how much you can afford I guess. Hope this helps.