mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2005 fsrxc parts availability?

The chainstay on my 2005 FSRxc has broken at the weld near the bottom bracket.

I am not the original owner and don't have a receipt, so I suppose that I'm SOL on the warranty, but is it possible to purchase this part, and if so, can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on it?

I have a local retailer, but I don't wanna bother them if there is no part available.

Here is a picture of the break for reference:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...84375829_o.jpg
    A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    This is a non warranty claim like you said. I'd approach any specialized dealer and ask them to inquire about a replacement for you. If you don't have a relationship with a local retailer, now would be the time to make friends. You're at the 7 yr point... after 3-5 stuff like this usually becomes impossible to come by new. Good luck.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That is a manufacturing failure. I had two FSR's from 1999 and 2000. The 1999 failed in a similar place under warranty. The new part was stronger. When the 2000 did it several years outside of warranty they replaced under warranty as well. If they couldn't replace the part they would replace under crash replacement price for a new frame of equivalent type with the oldest they had instock. (ie if 2005 frame they may have a 2008 frame left in that size or maybe only a 2010 or the like) Speak to your dealer. I am sure they will help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the advice.

Just got back from my dealer-- the new part is $85, which seems reasonable, so I guess I'll be installing it when it gets here
    A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.