mtbr member

2005 Epic on Technical Trails?

I'm looking at the 2005 Epic and I understand it is known as an excellent climber and a "Race Bike". My question is how does this bike handle on tight technical singletrack.

Gravity Rides Everything
    it's a pretty rugged bike. also quite nimble.

if youre' really looking to do lots of technical XC the SJ120 is probably a better bet though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    actaully I found the epic is an AMAZING bike on uphill technical parts, keeps you hook up so well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I love mine

I just got a new epic after looking at just about every mtn bike I could. I always thought the brain hype was a load of crap. But after rding one I was pretty amazed but still not convinced. I tried it 2 more times and decided on it. I was not dissappointed at all. It really is a good design, not perfect, but really good.

At any rate I think mine handles much better than my Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ Even with less travel It handles better on technical stuff. The bottom bracket is low so you will bang the pedals.

All in all I think the epic handles technical stuff really well and climbs better than just about any bike out there.

mtbr dismember

I have an Epic and SJ120 Pro

I've had an '03 Epic for over two years and I really like it. However, three months ago I got a SJ 120 Pro and I have not ridden the Epic since. The SJ climbs a lot better than I would have imagined, even at 120 mm, and it is a whole lot more fun than the Epic on technical stuff. I don't know about the '05 Epic but my '03 Epic weighs 4-5 lbs. more than my '05 SJ.

mtbr member

2005 epic

i found the climbing is decent on the 05 epic and the brain is worth mentioning for the rear suspension. it soaks up terrain better than my SC superlight.

the stock handlebar has to go as it is horrible on even short downhill sections. tracking is also poor, but a replacement riser handlebar and stem may fix these issues. looking to make the change soon.

mtbr member
    Here's another vote for the Epic over the SJ Hardtails - the SJ was probably a bit more nimble in the corners and switchbacks, but IMHO the Epic's suspension makes it vastly superior at handling the technical stretches. I'll also second tatdotcom's comment that a riser bar makes the Epic handle much better (at least w/ fork travel set to 80), although you do lose a bit on the climbs w/ the riser bar because of the shift in your COG. In particular on tight stretches, the Epic lets you take lines that would be questionable on a hardtail, and therefore "expands" the trail by giving you more options -- but that is probably true of most FS bikes.

Can't offer a comparison on the '05 models or the FS version of the SJ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I've had an '03 Epic for over two years and I really like it. However, three months ago I got a SJ 120 Pro and I have not ridden the Epic since. The SJ climbs a lot better than I would have imagined, even at 120 mm, and it is a whole lot more fun than the Epic on technical stuff. I don't know about the '05 Epic but my '03 Epic weighs 4-5 lbs. more than my '05 SJ.
    I too went from a 03 Epic disc to a 05 Stumpjumper 120 and never looked back (sold Epic on Ebay).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr dismember

Recently had to ride my Epic

Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy
    I too went from a 03 Epic disc to a 05 Stumpjumper 120 and never looked back (sold Epic on Ebay).
    I had to ride my '03 Epic Disc recently because the SJ 120 Pro was in the shop. No comparison. The SJ is just so much more fun to ride! Perhaps if one raced the Epic would be a better choice.

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I had to ride my '03 Epic Disc recently because the SJ 120 Pro was in the shop. No comparison. The SJ is just so much more fun to ride! Perhaps if one raced the Epic would be a better choice.
    I have an 05. I have to say that it is awesome. I guess it all comes down to preference. SJ FSR and Epic are both great bikes. Just depends on what your tastes are.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Epic is sweet for everything from climbing to rocky technical single track, they just rock. I test rode a SJ but didn't feel that rocket ship like climbing ability, everything else was fun though.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I have an 05 S-Works Epic and an 05 Enduro Pro. The Epic definitely climbs better than a hardtail in most instances, but despite the weight difference, the Enduro climbs better.

I've been having a hard time with the front end flex of my Epic. It is, beyond doubt, the most flex I've ever felt in a bike and in high speed turns, as well as tight, low speed technical corners, it's a bit sketchy.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member

Good job!

i have a '04 Epic Marathon Disc, once i got the suspension both front and rear dialed in, swapping the tire to Panaracer 2.1 XC fire pro's, flipping the stem down, and adding bar ends; the Epic tracks a lot better on technical climbs. i haven't had any complaints on how i can handle the hairy stuff once i made a few changes. my type of riding doesn't include drop offs or crazy bonzai riding. i had tried other bikes before i bought my bike, but this one suited me best because i was used to riding on a hardtail for over 14 years, and i'm mainly a climber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by GR Mtn Biker
    I'm looking at the 2005 Epic and I understand it is known as an excellent climber and a "Race Bike". My question is how does this bike handle on tight technical singletrack.
    Ever see a snake going at full speed? Yeah, its kinda like that.
    The SJ120 is great but heavier. 2 friends of mine that I bike with have an epic, and one has a SJ120 and we blow him away on tight technical single track trails. ESPECIALLY uphill. Mountain Goat would also be an acceptible analogy.