Thread: 2005 Epic Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2005 Epic Disc

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has needed to upgrade their stock chain to a stronger one? One 2005 Epic owner I know has upgraded to a Wipperman.

Also, has anyone had front skewer problems (working loose)? What are the details of the stock skewer? What upgrade options are available (or necessary)?

Cheers,

Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I assume that you are speaking of the...

Quote Originally Posted by Astrodude
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has needed to upgrade their stock chain to a stronger one? One 2005 Epic owner I know has upgraded to a Wipperman.

Also, has anyone had front skewer problems (working loose)? What are the details of the stock skewer? What upgrade options are available (or necessary)?

Cheers,

Steve
    of the Epic Marathon or the Comp Disc as the Sworks comes with Mavic CrossMax SL wheels.

Don't know about the chain problems as I don't have an Epic so haven't had experience with it.

The hub, however, is another story. I have an 05 Stumpy with the same hub, Specialized Stout Disc 32 hole. The problem seems to be hit and miss. Some people have it some don't. My problem started about a month after I got the bike. I would check the QR to make sure that it was tight before every ride, but by the end of the ride it would come loose. Not falling off loose, but significantly looser than when I started, and the longer the ride the looser it seemed to be. So I suppose if I rode long enough it would have gotten to the falling off point eventually. No matter what I tried nothing worked to keep that sucker tight. I tried over tightening, marking the hub so that the axel was in the same position each time it was inserted, different positions of the QR lever, and finally a different QR all together. Nothing worked! So it seems to be a problem with the hub design it self. I finally ended up dumping the wheel and putting on an old Shimano XT hub. Problem solved. But like I said the problem is hit and miss. I know several people with the same hub that haven't had a problem with it. It doesn't seem to be model specific either. I know of people with Stumpy hard tails, Stumpy FSR's, Epics and Enduros that have had the problem, and people with the same bikes that have not. The people that haven't had the problem are still riding their Stout front hubs and are quite happy with them. Those that have had the problem have had to replace the front hub to cure the problem. Anyway it doesn't seem to be a huge problem as far as numbers go, but it does happen now and then. Just be prepared to replace the hub or the wheel should it pop up. Otherwise I've been quite happy with my Stumpy. An I know quite a few people that stoked with their Epics too.

Good Dirt