mtbr member

2004 Stumpy FSR: Shock Bushing Issues

Dear Specialized owners,

I would like some advice, hopefully from someone that been in the same boat before.

I have been riding the 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert since late July of 2004. Somewhere in the midst of this year, the shock bushing closer to the rear wheel began to wear out, and with this, some play started to occur in that area. (you could lift the bike by seat, and feel that little time the bike travels up while the rear while remains on the ground). This play is occupied by increasingly audible creaking noises

My LBS replaced the rear bushing, and everything was sound (no pun intended) once again. For about one month. Then the problem came back, in the exact same fashion. They once again they replaced the bushing. About 10 riding hours later, the problem quickly reoccurred, to a much worse extent. Inspection by the shop revealed the fact that the bolt that connects in that area had broken, once again they replaced it.

Anyways, I am sure that this is not normal. While their solutions have been alright, such frequent problem should not be occurring under normal circumstances. Could this possibly be a frame issue that would require it to be sent in to Specialized?

I am just at a loss, seeing as how now is the off season. If the frame does not to be sent in.. the time is now. But is there sufficient grounds?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You would have to look at the bushings to see how they were wearing out. If the bolt was torqued correctly, the bushings should wear out on the outside. If it is the inside of the bushings which is wearing out, than the bolt was too loose to begin with. The fact that the bolt broke was probably due to LBS overtightening the bolt and almost breaking it when they changed the bushings.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.