mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New question here. 2004 Stumpy FSR with BETD linkage: worthwhile?

Hi all, I'm a 170 lbs biker and I'm thinking to improve the rear travel of my 2004 stumpy fsr pro from 100 mm to 130 mm (yes, I'm based in Europe ) with a BETD linkage.
    Apart from the advantages of having more rear travel, I'd like to know the feeling and experience of someone who already did the same upgrade in terms of shock behaviour (plushness, bobbing...) after the replacement of the specy linkage with the BETD and using it with the 130 mm rear travel.
    Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nobody?

Weapon of Choice
    It improved the ride alot for me, especially on rocky down hills etc; raises the BB an inch too which is a big difference. The only drawback is you will need to to greatly increase air pressure in the shock to eliminate excess bob(Septune) I weigh 140 pounds and my pressure is at about 250 psi. If you can do this I recommend it, it transforms the bike into a better handling one on techy terrain, more stable for me anyways.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69
    It improved the ride alot for me, especially on rocky down hills etc; raises the BB an inch too which is a big difference. The only drawback is you will need to to greatly increase air pressure in the shock to eliminate excess bob(Septune) I weigh 140 pounds and my pressure is at about 250 psi. If you can do this I recommend it, it transforms the bike into a better handling one on techy terrain, more stable for me anyways.
    Wow, 250 psi is a big pressure: which was the "normal" pressure for you with the original linkage? And, what about differences (if any) in uphill sections?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what about the head tube angle? will it change when you put it in the 130mm place?

if it does change will a 130 mm fork undo these changes (head tube angle steeper) ?

thanks

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by maurocif
    Wow, 250 psi is a big pressure: which was the "normal" pressure for you with the original linkage? And, what about differences (if any) in uphill sections?
    True the pressure increase is dramatic, the normal pressure for me on the stock linkage was around 160-170 I believe. However the schock has a maximum limit of 300psi and it has been working fine for a few months, so far. Uphill is fine, no change, it goes uphill as fast as before. One thing I noticed immediately after changing the link was under hard braking on steep rocky descents, there was no brake jack period, more so than the stock link, alot more.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by jappo
    what about the head tube angle? will it change when you put it in the 130mm place?

if it does change will a 130 mm fork undo these changes (head tube angle steeper) ?

thanks
    I am using a Talas RL at 130mm front travel. The increase inch in rear will steepen your front which for me works fine, faster steering. I was contemplating swapping the fork with something 150mm travel to balance it out but honestly its no big deal, my ride has improved so I will keep as is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thank you very much for this information, they're exactly what I was looking for.
    Just one more question; my current fork is a Marzocchi Marathon XC 100-120mm, now working 110mm of travel: do you think I can keep it with 120mm travel, or should I swap it for a longer travel fork?

Weapon of Choice
    Thank you very much for this information, they're exactly what I was looking for.
    Just one more question; my current fork is a Marzocchi Marathon XC 100-120mm, now working 110mm of travel: do you think I can keep it with 120mm travel, or should I swap it for a longer travel fork?
    You could do it but will you like the feel of it? thats gonna depend on you and your riding style. It could be a bit too steep for your liking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have a link on order (2 months ago already :-( ) for my FSR2004. I already upgraded the fork to a Talas 90-130mm, which I now run at 120mm. I like to run a slightly slacker headangle. What you can do to compensate the slightly steeper headangle with your 120mm fork is to run a 2.35/2.4 front tire and a 2.1/2.25 in the back.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by djska
    I have a link on order (2 months ago already :-( ) for my FSR2004. I already upgraded the fork to a Talas 90-130mm, which I now run at 120mm. I like to run a slightly slacker headangle. What you can do to compensate the slightly steeper headangle with your 120mm fork is to run a 2.35/2.4 front tire and a 2.1/2.25 in the back.

Indeed, the previous year specialized resolution 2.3 tire in front was awesome for that, I swear that tire is the tallest for its size and casts a shadow to boot

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69
    True the pressure increase is dramatic, the normal pressure for me on the stock linkage was around 160-170 I believe. However the schock has a maximum limit of 300psi and it has been working fine for a few months, so far. Uphill is fine, no change, it goes uphill as fast as before. One thing I noticed immediately after changing the link was under hard braking on steep rocky descents, there was no brake jack period, more so than the stock link, alot more.
    what's a brake jack period?

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by jappo
    what's a brake jack period?
    If im correct; when under hard braking on a bumpy downhill section, the rear wheel begins to bounce over the bumps losing traction and control as a result.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Where can I get one??

I have the same model stumpy, and back when it was new I looked into the BETD link and couldn't find them for the '04. Where can you get them, and roughly what do they cost?

This is a really really dumb question, but do you have to change the original shock or can it just 'go' to 130mm?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I just received my BETD link last week. Mine's for a 01 FSR, so it's not the same link, but doing the same job.

The machining is excellent - tolerances are very tight. It bolted right back in place using my exisiting shock. I did have a problem on installation, though. When I started airin gup my shock, the increase in travel caused my rear derailleur cable to become MUCH too short!!!! Make sure you have a new cable and housing ready to go!

I haven't had the chance to get out and really test ride the new setup. Kinda hard with a 23 month old and a 6 week old to get out much , but between the linkgae and new fork (revelation air u-turn) curbs have been made almost non-existant.

EDIT: Got the chance to give it a "quick" ride yesterday. 11.5mi, all on singletrack. GET THIS LINKAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Stiffer feeling all the way around. Shoot, it even made the shock behave better! I can now tell a VERY distinct difference between all 3 setting on my RP3. Adding in the new fork and 7" rotor, it feels like a whole new bike. Inspies a lot more confidence it bombing downhill and hitting small jumps. I am starting to think I need to get some knee and elbow pads now!
    Last edited by alphajaguars; 01-26-2007 at 05:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I received my link and put some photo's on http://picasaweb.google.com/RvdOooo/BETDLink.

Works fine and looks very robust but I do seem to have an issue with the link hitting the seat tube when bottoming out hard (see arrow on 6th picture). I sent an email to BETD about this...

Like you on the photo's I also tried to reverse the link. Definite answer: not possible.

'Calm Down'
    I see from the photos the interferance when reversed. But is the link hitting the frame when installed normally?

Please keep us updated on what BETD has to say.

jw

I received my link and put some photo's on http://picasaweb.google.com/RvdOooo/BETDLink.

Works fine and looks very robust but I do seem to have an issue with the link hitting the seat tube when bottoming out hard (see arrow on 6th picture). I sent an email to BETD about this...

Like you on the photo's I also tried to reverse the link. Definite answer: not possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yep, BETD-link hit the seattube when bottoming out harsh. I did a 1.5m drop to flat and I heard a 'clunk' when the shock bottomed out (slightly too low pressure, even after I upped it from 180 to 210psi with the link in place). On this photo you can see where it hit the frame:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/RvdOooo/...93146865935970

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronked
    I have the same model stumpy, and back when it was new I looked into the BETD link and couldn't find them for the '04. Where can you get them, and roughly what do they cost?

This is a really really dumb question, but do you have to change the original shock or can it just 'go' to 130mm?
    I ordered the FSR XC 05 100mm version for my FSR 04 100mm. The link changes the shock leverage without having to change the shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can just see how it rides with your current fork set at 120mm, then plan a fork upgrade if it's too steep. Do some checking on a-c measurements of forks you might like. One option might be an '07 AMSL fork, since they have ATA.

I would want to raise the front at least as much as the rear, but it's nice if the fork is able to drop for climbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep, BETD-link hit the seattube when bottoming out harsh. I did a 1.5m drop to flat and I heard a 'clunk' when the shock bottomed out (slightly too low pressure, even after I upped it from 180 to 210psi with the link in place). On this photo you can see where it hit the frame:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/RvdOooo/...93146865935970

Have BETD responded?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Any response? Hits on 130mm position?

BETS quote "It has been brought to our attention that on some of the 04 frames, the large body (triad)shock will foul on the weld in the top of the hole that the shock goes thro, when using the 100mm setting. We have fitted these some 04 frames with no problem, so we feel that it is due to the manufacturing tolerences of the frames and the thickness of the welds. There is no problem using the 130mm setting. If you purchase a link and this happens we will refund your money as long as you have not scratched the linkage"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This was BETD response on hits in the 130mm position:

'The issue with the contact on some of the frames, basically the bike we designed the link on had no contact. We went ahead and made the linkage to suit this bike. The very slight changes in the tolerances on the frames does mean that there is very few frames where a slight contact is made. The contact is only very minimal and shouldn't be detrimental.'

My experience with the link until now:
    Running the link in the 130mm position really works wonders for the rear. It even seems to bob less than the original link. It even makes riding in more difficult terrain in the Netherlands too easy (really!) so I normally run the original link so there's still a bit of a challenge and only change to the BETD-link when going abroad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    have you done something to solve it? or it isn't a problem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by faber
    have you done something to solve it? or it isn't a problem?
    It's not really a problem, I needed to put in more air anyway (~230psi).