mtbr member
    Aug 2004

2004 S-Works Enduro rear shock upgrade success!

A few weeks ago the seals on my 2004 S-Works Enduro brain began leaking. The following week it died completely. The same thing happened three years ago. I don't know how it is in other countries, but over here in Japan it was quite an expensive repair/service and it took weeks....

Even if they still service them (I don't think they will now) I decided to get rid of the brain and buy a new shock as a service costs the same as a new shock!!! After a lot of searching and a few phone calls I decided to go for a 2012 Fox RP23 from a well known parts supplier in Ireland.
    I found a lot of information on different sites but its all a little confusing. So for anyone still using an old Enduro and are unsure on what to get here is what I did -

Fox RP23 - 200mm X 50mm
    Velocity/Compression - Medium
    Rebound - Medium
    Boost Valve - 225
    Low volume air can

I weigh just over 90kg so I was told to go for a shock that had Medium factory tunes for both Velocity and Rebound. I didn't know what tuning the shock would come with so I was expecting to have it serviced at some point if the factory tuning was wrong. But as you can see I got lucky!!!

The stroke on the shock is slightly longer than the stock float but as it has the flip-flop linkage I just put it in the slack (69.5 degree) setting and the geometry is normal.

Fitting was quite easy, but it will only fit this way which makes adjusting difficult. But once its set I don't think I'll need to touch it again other than adding air.

I've got about 220psi in it and the sag is about right. At the moment the pro-pedal is zero which is fully open. Rebound is 4 clicks clockwise.

I went out for a short ride last night and climbed with the leaver in the firm (3) position and it felt great with very little bounce and plenty of grip. On the decents it was a little harsh so when I got back I added a few more clicks on the rebound. I went out again today and it was spot on. It glides over everything now and I noticed I'm taking a lot more speed into everything. Climbing does feel a lot quicker, too.

Hopefully some of this info will be useful to anyone wanting to keep their Enduro going. I've got to say it has completely transformed mine!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 S-Works Enduro rear shock upgrade success!-img_5434.jpg  

2004 S-Works Enduro rear shock upgrade success!-img_5430.jpg  

2004 S-Works Enduro rear shock upgrade success!-img_5435.jpg  

2004 S-Works Enduro rear shock upgrade success!-img_5432.jpg  

2004 S-Works Enduro rear shock upgrade success!-img_5433.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Absolutely stoked to hear that!

I have just bought the same shock, same specs, from probably the same major vendor out of the UK (didn't realise they were paddies?). Bargain.

I am 88kgs and looking for a firm pro pedal, so your info augers well for that.

Spent today making up a bush pusher out of the nuts, bolts and washers box. I think I am going to buy a spare bush before attempting the install.

PS its for my 2012 Camber, as a back up for when the Triad needs servicing. I gather on the Camber you get 5mm extra travel if you use the stock bushing. But no dramas with hitting the frame evidently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Great choice! I'm sure you're not going to be disappointed.

I've bought things from them for ages and never had any problems so when I knew I needed a shock they were first place I checked. Even their Shimano stuff is cheaper than here in Japan!!!

Your shock will come with a single DU bush so all you need to do is fit one on the other end. They're not expensive so its not a bad idea to get a few spare ones.

Its feeling very good on 9 year old bike so 2012 Camber its going to be an excellent back up. Maybe I'll try and get my brain repaired so I can have that as a back up....
    Last edited by steveb; 05-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.