banned

2004 Epic Marathon Question

I was wondering if the bike and it's Brain have any known issues to look out for. Regarding value, what would be a reasonable price for the 7 year old MTB?

Thanks!
    Last edited by eauxgod; 02-07-2011 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Depends on how much maintenance has been done on it and how much it has been ridden. I have a 2004 Epic Comp and wore out the fork (beyond the cost of repair). Suspension pivot bearings should be replaced every few seasons. Check to make sure the Brain still locks/unlocks the rear suspension as designed. My Brain "softened up" over time and failed to keep the rear shock locked out. Had my LBS send the Brain back to Specialized for a rebuild last year and it came back like new. The Brain is amazing technology IMO, even back in '04.

No idea on a fair price; depends on what shape the bike is in and if it has been maintained properly. My 2004 Epic has been a great bike but I have replaced a lot of parts over the past several years.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lytleric
    Depends on how much maintenance has been done on it and how much it has been ridden. I have a 2004 Epic Comp and wore out the fork (beyond the cost of repair). Suspension pivot bearings should be replaced every few seasons. Check to make sure the Brain still locks/unlocks the rear suspension as designed. My Brain "softened up" over time and failed to keep the rear shock locked out. Had my LBS send the Brain back to Specialized for a rebuild last year and it came back like new. The Brain is amazing technology IMO, even back in '04.

No idea on a fair price; depends on what shape the bike is in and if it has been maintained properly. My 2004 Epic has been a great bike but I have replaced a lot of parts over the past several years.
    Thanks for the input. It has 200 to 300 miles on it and is all original with original tires that have a lot of life in them. I would say that it has never been serviced. I think 1200 would be fair I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

2004 marathon

I owned one too. Really great bike. Mine took some serious punishment and never broke. One of my favorite bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod
    Thanks for the input. It has 200 to 300 miles on it and is all original with original tires that have a lot of life in them. I would say that it has never been serviced. I think 1200 would be fair I guess.
    If it truly has only a few hundred miles on it, $1200 is a pretty good deal for an almost-new bike. I think I paid at around $2600 when I bought it new.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lytleric
    If it truly has only a few hundred miles on it, $1200 is a pretty good deal for an almost-new bike. I think I paid at around $2600 when I bought it new.
    He is asking $1800, which I think is too high for a used 7yo mtb....