mtbr member
    Aug 2004

2004 Epic Base Model - Question

I'm thinking about getting a bike to use in a few XC races each year and for use when I'm at less technical trails. My LBS has a 2004 base model and a 2005 Epic Comp leftover, both in my size.

Can the 2004 Epic base model be upgraded to disk brakes? Does it have the disk brake mounts on the fork and frame? Do the hubs accept disks?

There is about an $800 or more difference in the list price between the two bikes. The primary upgrades from the 2004 to the 2005 Comp are: XTR (rather than XT) rear derailleur, XT disk brakes (rather than V brakes), annodized frame (rather than silver paint) and a slightly better set of rims.

I can't seem to justify the price difference (particularly given that he'll do a better deal on the 04 because it's older). My logic is:

- XT derailleur is slightly heavier, but maybe a bit lower maintenance (less finicky) than the XTR's and there is no real performance difference
    - I can buy XT disk brakes for about $100 per wheel and i've seen Juicy 7's for $130/wheel.
    - Annodized frame offers some weight savings, but not substantial
    - I have an 04 Enduro S-works with Crossmax SL's that I can use on this bike when not riding the Epic.

I can probably get the 2004 for about $1200 or so. Adding disks brings that to around $1500. Seems to be a much better way to go than the 2005 Comp. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes the fork and frame of the 04...

base model will accept disc calipers. However the hubs are NOT disc compatable, so add the price of a set of hubs and a relace for the stock rims, or another $200 to $300 to the price for a set wheels with disc hubs. Depends on what type of deal the LBS is willing to work with the disc conversion. Either way I doubt you get clear of the disc upgrade for less than $400. I'd lean toward the new wheelset myself. Unless you are a light weight, the stock 28 hole rim/hub combo on the 04 base Epic is not the ideal for a disc set up. But that's up to you. Myself, I'd go for the 05 Comp unless you can get an absolute killer deal on the disc brake upgrade from the LBS. Usually it is cheaper in the long run to get the bike with everything that you want on it than it is to upgrade later.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Yep it will take a hunk of cash to put discs on. My bud got a base 04 epic, I didnt even see disc mounts on the float fork, but I could be wrong. The v-brakes work great though.
    I was suprised later when I got my 04 base Stumpjumper FSR, it had all mounts, and disc hubs. Maybe that is what you are thinking of. A bb5/7 upgrade is a definite possibility for me

mtbr member
    I have a 2004 base Epic that I've upgraded over time. I started with rim brakes and the base wheelset. I added Chris King/717 disk wheels and Avid Juicy 7's for around $800, which beats whatever's coming on the Comp...I did this as soon as King announced their price increase so it wasn't too bad at the time.

You could get a great Hope/717 wheelset built by JensonUSA for around $300, and a set of disk brakes for the same price or less depending on the deals running. You still spend $200 less. You could get a "good enough" XT/717 wheelset for $150-$200, and a set of Avid BB7 cable disk brakes for $120 or so, saving up to $500 overall.

I don't know what's on the Comp for rims, but my wheelset switch was significantly quicker over the X221's. I'd go for the '04 and get the wheels and brakes you want.

Oh yeah, and my bike ends up weighing around 27.5 lbs with eggbeaters if that's one of your goals...I feel like I could easily reduce the weight another pound or two if I cared, but I'm fine with where it is...
    Last edited by TXNavy; 04-27-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Just ride!

The base 2004 has disk brake mounts

I have a 2004 Epic base model. The LBS where I purchased the bike swapped the wheels and v-brakes for a set of Hayes hydros and Mavic/Specialized disc wheels. The fox 100 RL fork also cam with disk mounts.

Hope this helps

Daniel