mtbr member

New question here. 2004 Enduro Comp vs. 2001 Marin Alpine Trail w/ Z1 fork?

Okay, I feel kind of lame asking this question, but I'm in a tight spot and because I've been on a hardtail so long, and live in a very small town, I just do not have the experience.

I ride almost every day in a rocky, hilly area. I've been dreaming of a 5 Spot or Joker or Saber, but reality is that I will not be able to afford such a beast for at least another year.

I have two slightly used bikes presented to me right now, one $800, the other $950.

One is a 2001 Marin Alpine Trail w/ 6" Z1 fork. This bike has been very lightly used by an avid "road racer" who just did not take to mtbk'ing (friend). It has been maintained immaculately, new cassette, etc... $800 is the asking price

The other is a 2004 Enduro Comp from my lbs' rental fleet. It's $150 more, and I would not be able to pick it up until after summer (they have several).

The older Marin bike probably has mile on it than the rentals.

Anyone with an opinion on which way to turn? Is this a "clear and easy" obvious decision that I'm just not seeing? Any feedback is very, very much appreciated. Thanks!

~MTB & PC aDDiCt~
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Okay, I feel kind of lame asking this question, but I'm in a tight spot and because I've been on a hardtail so long, and live in a very small town, I just do not have the experience.

I ride almost every day in a rocky, hilly area. I've been dreaming of a 5 Spot or Joker or Saber, but reality is that I will not be able to afford such a beast for at least another year.

I have two slightly used bikes presented to me right now, one $800, the other $950.

One is a 2001 Marin Alpine Trail w/ 6" Z1 fork. This bike has been very lightly used by an avid "road racer" who just did not take to mtbk'ing (friend). It has been maintained immaculately, new cassette, etc... $800 is the asking price

The other is a 2004 Enduro Comp from my lbs' rental fleet. It's $150 more, and I would not be able to pick it up until after summer (they have several).

The older Marin bike probably has mile on it than the rentals.

Anyone with an opinion on which way to turn? Is this a "clear and easy" obvious decision that I'm just not seeing? Any feedback is very, very much appreciated. Thanks!

geez. sure I would go for a 2004 model rather than a 2001 -an specialized rulez anuway!