mtbr member
    Oct 2008

2003 Supercross Vs 2001 FSR Vs Stumpy

Hi,
    I want to thank everyone else for saving me buying a lemon! (see other thread). I currently have a rockhopper 2002 that has been upgraded a lot. I my dad needs a bike and so i was planning to give him my rockhopper and get myself something different....
    Can someone advise me which out these would be best?
    a 2003 stumpy? ( do they go that old)
    a 2003 Supercross?
    or a 2001 FSR?
    Now i understand the bits on the bike might be in need of work and i don't mind replacing them as needed but i would liek to get a good frame to build the bike around.....
    Last edited by dr_adams; 01-24-2009 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    It's hard to say with without any more details, which specific models are you talking about? Like 2003 Stumpjumper FSR Disc, 2003 Stumpjumper Comp, etc. Also, why are you so intent on buying such old full suspension bikes, you're probably better off getting a newer hardtail which will probably not only be lighter, but much better quality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well... I have a 2002 Rockhopper presently.... i spoke to my lbs and they said there would not be a massive difference in going for a modern rockhopper, I have changed everything bar the frame on mine! but am going to give itto my dad. And i only have 400 max to get something so was going to try and find an older bike that i could afford... I am struggling to see why a new hardtail when all i would gain is lightweight but i am a 200lbs myself and so lightweight isn't something i need to worry about! I am thinking more about the best frames on them? is the variation not normally the components>? I would love a brand new ffull sus but can't afford it, and my aim would be to maybe get an older frame and build up something decent and then change the frame when i can afford it?

OSCMTB
    It's not a hardfast rule, but the older the FS frame, the beter the chance of it breaking. Plus, the pivots will be worn and the technology isn't as up to par (not so much the frame itself, more the shock). Buying a bike that's more than a couple years old isn't the best of ideas...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    so if i had your eqivilent of $600 to spend secondhand where would i go?
    given i have a hardtail that does all i need currently?

mtbr member
    Well, if your current bike meets your needs then you should save up that $600 and buy a newer FS when you can afford it. That's just my opinion though.