mtbr member
    May 2008

2003 Stumpjumper - BB Area Click?

I have a 2003 Stumpjumper that I have recently picked up. When ridden hard it has a distinct click on about every full pedal rotation. I have now, after the fact, heard that this M4 frame has had issues with a weld cracking in the BB area. Is this true? From the bottom and around the area it seems to be crack free. What could be causing this noise? Also, if you apply the front brake and push down hard on the crank you will get this. However, freely spinning the pedals, unweighted, there is nothing. Any clues on this? Also, is this the frame with these issues or was this a different year?

Thanks,

Blake

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hi
    some bottom brackets can be real noisy, mine is and it does make the same noise you described, im going to replace mine.
    i dont think its the frame i think its the bottom bracket, have you tried taking it to your LBS to get them to look at it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    No I have not. I will be bringing in this weekend to have it checked out.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    I'd say loose cranks and/or worn bb bearing. Thats' what caused this annoying noise on my previous bikes.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    is there any play in the cranks, grab the top of the crank and see if theres any play, if there is then the problem should be what natedogz said

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i meant grab the top of the crank and shake it

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Good News!

Took it in had the BB pulled a little dirt and loose torque, cleaned and greased and now works perfect.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i torqued up my bb to 45nm and it doesnt make any noise now as it was too tight before, so we both had the same problem, which is a bit of a relief, dont know about you but i was just about to splash out for a new one.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was about to do the exact same. Now if I can only figure out what kind of tires to throw on this bike. Any ideas for MN hard pack trails but good log, rock, corner traction. Panaracer Fire XC Pro's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maxxis High Roller DH UST
    Nokian Gazza All Mountain SW
    Nokian Gazzaloddi M & S
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro look alright id go for the 2.1 inch (still thin though)
    out of the ones i mensioned id go for the maxxis high roller DH UST
    , they are quite expensive 28 each but you get what you pay for