lurker no more

New question here. 2003 Epic Marathon price?

Is $1725 including professional packing and shipping with insurance too much? Pics can be found here. http://mysite.verizon.net/res1q3pe/Epic/default.htm What do you think? Details below.

There is a small ding on the down tube, some chain suck, and very minor front rotor rub and the right paddle is missing, along with the usual minor scuffs on the frame and the shifters, but it doesn't matter as the shifters and brakes are integrated. It will be shipped stock with clipless pedals and the OEM stem and the Body Geometry saddle. The only thing added to it was the Blackspire Big Ring chainguard.

Thanks.

Specialized Rida
    Yes, way to much in my opinion. Especially for what it has on it and the type of damage it has.

Is this your bike? or are you buying it?

lurker no more
    Selling. Never sold a bike before, so looking for a fair price for everyone involved. If it's too high, perhaps $1300-1400 then + shipping? Or would you even consider that overkill?

Specialized Rida
    Well I really don't think you may even get up to a 1,000 for it, but it is worth a try.
    I think the main concern is the "dent" on the frame and the other scratches doesn't help the value of the bike also.
    If you want you can go on ebay an compare the other prices of the epics of the same year and see what they are going for and what condition they are. I am pretty sure that you will see that the value on that bike is not very high, becuase now a days you can get a newer model for just about the same price and perhaps even better spec'ed out.

But i never hurts to try to sell for the price that you want. I am sure someone out there if they want your bike they will contact you and give you an offer, and then you can really get an idea on what people really think your bike is worth.

So give that a shot and see what happens. Who knows maybe you will get lucky and get the price you are asking for.

lurker no more
    Thanks for the info, skate.

About the downtube. It's best to see it in person. It's like a 1/16 of an inch depression, if even that. No paint is coming off around the edges of it either telling me it's very minor and not affecting structural integrity at all. The rest of the scuffing is cosmetic and comes with the vast majority of used bikes.

However, if a buyer feels that it's too much compromise for them it's too much compromise and they should probably be looking for a newer, if not brand new bike. I can understand that too. When I look for a bike I look for function as well as style. It's a balance of the two and it can be hard to choose between the two unless it's a brand new bike.

mtbr member

Epic

By means of comparison, I purchased a new "03 Epic in Spring of "04. I purchased the base Epic and had the shop upgrade all of it to XT including discs along with changing to the Fox F80RLT and it set me back $1750. Just goes to show you as the Epic disc/marathon that was sitting for sale next to it was inching towards $3000 with very similar set up.
    So, to ask for $1700 I think would be way too much. I would think that placing it on Ebay and putting a price around $1000 or slightly more wouldn't be far fetched.
    One other thing that I would do is take off the platform pedals and the chain ring guard. These tell me that you are the down hiller/urban type that probably trashes the bike on a lot of drops and the like.
    BoiseBoy