mtbr member
    Oct 2008

... and if we just ... 2003 Epic Disc Great shape! Brain

First off, thanks to those who helped me out about a week ago (info on buying a 2008 FSR XC).

With the purchase of my first FSR bike a week ago and riding almost every day since it has opened my eyes.

With that being said I am interested in trying out many different styles and bikes until I find one that fits me best.

I ran across a 2003 Epic Disc and it got my attention.

Picture can be seen below.

I am wondering with it being nearly a 6 year old bike if this is a bad idea to buy.
    Even if the guy said the suspension has been serviced you just never know.

My questions are, is it worth going this old?
    What is this bike worth?

This guy is asking 1200 and I think that’s a bit much. I understand most specialized bikes hold a decent value but this may be a bit much $ for an old EPIC?

Specs from Specialized -->

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...003&spid=20951

I would really like to try out a bike like this but don’t want to pay way over what its worth. I have tried to check Ebay but hit and miss comparisons

INFO

“2003 Bike. Running city tires currently, no real off-road use. Park trails and walking paths. Has etra seat, pedals, tire-shock pump, manuals... Serviced last year, has maybe 50 mile since. Stored at my work currently. Hydraulic brakes, Fox float fork, Fox "Brain" in rear. Beautiful bike to see and ride”
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (7.0 KB, 201 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (6.5 KB, 190 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (8.9 KB, 199 views)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    anyone out there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    banshee4785,

I recently purchased a used 2003 Epic for $500 on Craigslist. It was in rough shape but I was thinking the same way as you. This deal is too good to be true. When testing it, the fork and the rear shox were working and holding air. I then said to myslef I was going to swap some parts and buy new wheels and disc brakes. So I bought it. Immediately we disassembled the bike and stripped the paint. I thought of re painting it but the cost would send me over my budget. So I decided to just go with the polished look. Always been in love with polished aluminum bikes. We then realized that the SID carbon steerer had a crack in it. So I sold the fork and also sold the wheels. The bike is all done and spent about $1,100 on the total project. The bike is running great. I've got some creaks that I'm not used to. We did put new bearings in. I'm tinkering with different air pressures for the rear.

So it looks like the bike your looking at has all that I've done and is in the price range I spent re-building. You can always send the rear shox to Fox if it needs a tune up or repair. The Endo Max Bearings I bought ran about $30. You might want to change those out. Good luck with your decision.
    Attached Images Attached Images

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I think $1200 for that epic is too much. Thats 50% of new. Maybe a grand, and I only say that because any mountain bike with reflectors on it probably hasn't been subject to real riding. It does look like a creampuff.

Drivetrain may be worn from city biking, plus you may need to have the fork and shock serviced.

Nice job on your epic mmanuel - looks sick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think it looks pretty good.

It also looks like it has a newer then 2003 fork on it. Road miles will wear your suspension and drivetrain way less then time on trails, so I don't know why someone would think the drivetrain could be worn out from road riding. Looks like the bike has extemely low miles and has not taken the beating that most MTB's do.

However it is pretty old, and the brain was good in 2003, Better in 2004 with IQ, Great in 2005 and 6 with the Brain fade and then it all went to **** in 2007, 2008 with the AFR. So I think 1200 is a fair price but not a great deal. 1000 sounds nice.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Road miles will wear your suspension and drivetrain way less then time on trails, so I don't know why someone would think the drivetrain could be worn out from road riding.
    Dude, its 6 years old. Not 2. After 6 years of road riding, and only tiny pics to go off, I'm going to assume the bike needs at least a chain and a cassette. And you don't think 6 year old shock and fork need a full service ? I'm not saying the bike is toast, but its rediculous to tell him that it won't have basic needs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1200 is a bit much. I am thinking more like 700. That Epic rear shock is pretty bullit proof. You are right on about the cassette, chain and the fork. Simple bikeconomics though. As the newer stuff comes out the older stuff goes down in price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

... and if we just ... Seller ignored my last offer and advice, now lowers price

About 1 month ago I wanted to buy this lightly used EPIC but the seller wouldn't come down in price. I told him that no matter the shape its value has dropped. I wished him good luck, but told him to sell he would have to come down quite a bit.

It's now listed again and for 1000 instead of 1200.

Now that I have had a chance to think about it some more.

1000 still seems to much.

What if I have to get the fork and rear shock serviced shorly after? That would take the deal out of it.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I still say wait. I could see if you were getting it through a shop and would have the backing, good will and support associated with going that route. 1000 is still to much. 700 or so sounds about right.

mtbr member
    What do you think its worth is and what are you willing to pay for this bike?? Value is determined by one's willingness to pay. IMO $600-$750 at most even if the bike was a pavement princess. If you can, take the bike for a spin. Then closely examine all of the components making note what is good and what needs replacing. Those items that are in need of replacment or close to be replaced can be used as negotiation points. Like others had said, at a minimum a new cassette, chain and the chainrings. A decent set of tires will cost over $50. What about the cables and housing?? Brake pads?? Just something for you to think about. Good luck.
    Rides:
    2007 FSRxc, 1991 Trek 830

Drives:
    2007 Lexus GS350, 2007 Chevy Tahoe