Thread: 2003 Epic Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2003 Epic Disc

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have this bike? I just picked one up off of Craigslist a few days ago for a decent price. It needs new chainrings and the chain is streched pretty bad. My LBS is changing those and the cassette also. They are also giving it a good once over to check if anything else is damaged. It's my first bike purchase so I'm a rookie at details like that. Basically if you have this bike, or not, what are your thoughts about it? Is there anything particular which i should be aware of like something tending to go bad? Thanks in advance!

Ill post pics when I get it back sometime later this week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hmm.. You can buy replacement bearings for the frame pivot points from www.endurobearings.com for $38. You can put them in yourself. I'll be it needs them to get the rear end from feeling sloppy.

You really should have just bought tools from the LBS to replace rings, cassette and chain. They pay for themselves in the first use.

In 2004, the entire Epic line lost 1/2 lb. Oh well. You probably got it cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just bought a used Epic Comp myself. The LBS who sold it to me, and who also sold it to the original owner, said they thought it was a 2005. How can I tell?

Anyway, so far the bike is great. Everything seems to work properly. I was thinking about converting my old CF hardtail to disc brakes...the Epic cost about the same as I would have spend to upgrade the HT, so...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had a 2003. It was efficient but the brain was kind of rough riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Goto www.specialized.com and try to match it up. They go back as far as 2002, so you will find it.
    On the drop-down Menu, click Bikes, then click Archive.

I also use www.Bikepedia.com. They go back even further.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thnx--I did that, my Epic is a 2003. Working well so far. It came with a 28" wide riser bar on it--I tried that for a while, just switched it over to the longer stem and flat bar (with barends) from my old HT. Suddenly, the bike is climbing better--I'm immediately pushing bigger gears--but the downhill control is definitely more challenging. I'm going to try out a few different combinations, see if I can find a happy medium...