mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2002 Stumpjumper FSR XC

First post- sorry it's a question. I've inherited a 2002 Stump FSR XC from a friend who never used it much. I've gone over it, and it's basically in good shape. The frame is pristine.

I've been trying to decide whether it's worth putting some money into it to make it a bit nicer. It rides decently, but I'm not real psyched about the shifters. I was thinking about switching out the front fork (Rock Shox Duke XC)
    for something a bit newer, but I wasn't sure whether it was worth the investment.

Just to get some ideas, is it worth putting $400 into it,and where would you put it?

Last edited by eastsands; 07-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Battling silly sales!
    Hmm... I usually go for tires, wheels, shifters and then fork, in that order, as items to replace. The tires will make a big difference since they are the only things contacting the ground. The wheels because they transfer the feel of the tires through the frame and shifters because I use them a lot and hate balky shifting and other issues. Fork is last because that is a major chunk of cash and if the rest of the bike isn't up to it, then an SID XX BlackBox isn't going to help ...

That my 2 cents!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialWarr View Post
    Hmm... I usually go for tires, wheels, shifters and then fork, in that order, as items to replace. The tires will make a big difference since they are the only things contacting the ground. The wheels because they transfer the feel of the tires through the frame and shifters because I use them a lot and hate balky shifting and other issues. Fork is last because that is a major chunk of cash and if the rest of the bike isn't up to it, then an SID XX BlackBox isn't going to help ...

That my 2 cents!
    Thanks for the solid suggestions. I'm going to take it to the LBS tomorrow and get the options priced out. If the current fork is okay, I could put that off for a while. New tires, wheels, and shifters sound like a good idea. I'll be interested to see what I can manage for $500.