mtbr member

New question here. 2002 RockHopper FSR

I've come across an opportunity to pick up a leftover 2002 RockHopper FSR XC from a dealer who lost their Specialized franchise. I've had my eye on the current FSR XC models, until I ran across this, and I may be able to grab a deal on it.

My questions is, from a performance standpoint, how much difference would there be in performance between the current FSR XC's and the '02 RockHopper FSR, from a standpoint of quality of the rear suspension?

Looking at the differences between the 2, the linkage between the seatstays and the shock is different on the current models, and obviously the frame on the '02 has an interrupted seat tube. Obviously the fork is low end, but if I can buy it at the right price, I can replace the fork and still be money ahead. The shock is a Fox Float.

FYI, I'm an intermediate rider, 5'11, 170lbs, and do mostly XC type trails.. no, or very limited racing. No jumps, drops, etc.

Looking for opinions please.

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by gubawatts
    I've come across an opportunity to pick up a leftover 2002 RockHopper FSR XC from a dealer who lost their Specialized franchise. I've had my eye on the current FSR XC models, until I ran across this, and I may be able to grab a deal on it.

My questions is, from a performance standpoint, how much difference would there be in performance between the current FSR XC's and the '02 RockHopper FSR, from a standpoint of quality of the rear suspension?

Looking at the differences between the 2, the linkage between the seatstays and the shock is different on the current models, and obviously the frame on the '02 has an interrupted seat tube. Obviously the fork is low end, but if I can buy it at the right price, I can replace the fork and still be money ahead. The shock is a Fox Float.

FYI, I'm an intermediate rider, 5'11, 170lbs, and do mostly XC type trails.. no, or very limited racing. No jumps, drops, etc.

Looking for opinions please.

The weakness on that bike was the rear linkage. Small flimsy and not much to it. I think a Betd link could replace the stock linkage. 2002 was the last year Specialized used that linkage.

In my opinion, if you could get the bike for $500 or less I would get it. I believe the MSRP was $980 in 2002. It is probably the best, never been used $500 bike (if that is the price) that you could get.

If the bike is $500 or higher, I would through in the extra money and get the 2006 FSR XC
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    I think a Betd link could replace the stock linkage.
    I'm not familiar with this... is the Betd link an aftermarket part, or a Specialized part?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aftermarket...
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by gubawatts
    I'm not familiar with this... is the Betd link an aftermarket part, or a Specialized part?

Thanks.

HERE IT IS

https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=48
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I came across a frame for this bike with the front der and crank minus pedals and no spring linkage, for a dirt cheap price of $20. Thats right, Twenty Bucks! All my bikes seem to be around the $1000 retail price, my last one I found at the train station, broken rear der.

So for this Specialized Rockhopper XC FSR, I plan on swapping out the components from my other bike. I tried the web link to the betd, but it didnt work. Just wondering how I can upgrade the rear suspension? On the cheap of course.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here is a working link :Specialized Linkages and Upgrades : Mountain bikes and componets by BETD Goldtec

I have a 2001 Enduro and the BETD link has been working great for me, for many years. No issues and I felt it made the bike more robust and plush. I replaced the shock with a platform shock I got for a steal in craigslist. Keep an eye there for parts, you might get lucky. Now, the Enduro is a bit more beefy than the Rockhopper, so be sure there are no frame cracks and that the bearings are all ok. Mine are still going strong, the only one that chnages was the needle bearing that came with the BETD linkage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I dont know man, thats a little too pricey for my blood. $160 + delivery is steep! Thats just plain craziness!

The rear dropout is ~138mm, so I think I can replicate the alum linkage, and make steel, for my 6000 watt electric direct drive hub motor.

Then I got to figure out what to do with the rear suspension, obviously the dimensions are correct, I might be on the hunt for awhile!

I am like 300 lbs, 6'6" tall, I think I need more beef then stock!