mtbr member

New question here. 2002 RockHopper FSR

I've come across an opportunity to pick up a leftover 2002 RockHopper FSR XC from a dealer who lost their Specialized franchise. I've had my eye on the current FSR XC models, until I ran across this, and I may be able to grab a deal on it.

My questions is, from a performance standpoint, how much difference would there be in performance between the current FSR XC's and the '02 RockHopper FSR, from a standpoint of quality of the rear suspension?

Looking at the differences between the 2, the linkage between the seatstays and the shock is different on the current models, and obviously the frame on the '02 has an interrupted seat tube. Obviously the fork is low end, but if I can buy it at the right price, I can replace the fork and still be money ahead. The shock is a Fox Float.

FYI, I'm an intermediate rider, 5'11, 170lbs, and do mostly XC type trails.. no, or very limited racing. No jumps, drops, etc.

Looking for opinions please.

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by gubawatts
    I've come across an opportunity to pick up a leftover 2002 RockHopper FSR XC from a dealer who lost their Specialized franchise. I've had my eye on the current FSR XC models, until I ran across this, and I may be able to grab a deal on it.

My questions is, from a performance standpoint, how much difference would there be in performance between the current FSR XC's and the '02 RockHopper FSR, from a standpoint of quality of the rear suspension?

Looking at the differences between the 2, the linkage between the seatstays and the shock is different on the current models, and obviously the frame on the '02 has an interrupted seat tube. Obviously the fork is low end, but if I can buy it at the right price, I can replace the fork and still be money ahead. The shock is a Fox Float.

FYI, I'm an intermediate rider, 5'11, 170lbs, and do mostly XC type trails.. no, or very limited racing. No jumps, drops, etc.

Looking for opinions please.

The weakness on that bike was the rear linkage. Small flimsy and not much to it. I think a Betd link could replace the stock linkage. 2002 was the last year Specialized used that linkage.

In my opinion, if you could get the bike for $500 or less I would get it. I believe the MSRP was $980 in 2002. It is probably the best, never been used $500 bike (if that is the price) that you could get.

If the bike is $500 or higher, I would through in the extra money and get the 2006 FSR XC
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    I think a Betd link could replace the stock linkage.
    I'm not familiar with this... is the Betd link an aftermarket part, or a Specialized part?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aftermarket...
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by gubawatts
    I'm not familiar with this... is the Betd link an aftermarket part, or a Specialized part?

Thanks.

HERE IT IS

https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=48
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Thanks.