ballbuster

2001 (?) Stumpy Hardtail info

Hey all,

Has anybody figured out the system that Specialized uses to date their frames from the serial numbers? I've Googled it with no luck.

I just picked up a used (and abused) small Stumpjumper hardtail off Craigslist.org for cheap, and was looking to restore it to former glory for my wife. I was told it's a 2001, but who knows.

It has the gussets on the top and down tubes (with an embossed Specialized 'S') where they join the head tube, and no rear disc brake tabs. It also has the Specialized 'S' on the rear dropouts. It also has the front and rear deraulleur cables run under the bottom bracket, road bike style, if that is any clue to its vintage.

Also, if anybody has any pics of this Stumpy from that era, that would be helpful. I was gonna do a custom rattle-can color and put some factory decals back on, good as new style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've got the 2001 Specialized catalog still. Held on to it for I have an '01 SJ Pro (hardtail).

What color is the frame?

The colors given by the catalog, oh, and the front fork
    M4 Pro: Black - Metallic Silver; Rock shox SID XC 80mm (black)
    M4 Comp: Metallic Blue-Pearl white; Manitou Mars Elite 80mm (white)
    M4: Yellow-Black or Red-Black; RockShox Judy SL 80mm (black)
    M4 Comp Womens: Glitter Blue-White; Manitou Mars Elite 80mm (white)

In all cases, the first color is the front of the bike, the second color is the rear of the bike. It also looks like the stem is color-matched to the front part of the frame, except they don't have a full picture of the yellow/black to confirm for that one.

As you describe, two cable runs go under the bottom bracket, and the rear v-brake runs across the top.

No scanner, sorry.
    I can snap a picture or two of either the catalog or my bike if need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Checked, my frame has mount points for disc brakes, as does the front fork. I did not see a mention in the catalog about the frame being set up for discs, but I did not read it too closely.

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd send in a photo of my 2001 Stumpjumper M4 Pro. Mine has the disc tabs, so maybe yours isn't a pro or maybe just an earlier year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ballbuster

Must be a different year

As far as I can tell, one of the base colors is a metalic forrest green, and the other might be a charcoal metalic grey. The whole thing was painted with a rattle can metalic blue... looks terrible. I think it was uglified for urban commuter use.

Anywho, the wife decided on a vapor blue like the new VW beetles... although she hates the New Beetle. I figure it will look pretty slick with silver Specialized frame decals. Subtle! I went to the hardware store today, and they didn't have anything close, only dark blues.

ballbuster

If its no trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by jsf03724
    No scanner, sorry.
    I can snap a picture or two of either the catalog or my bike if need.
    a pic or two would be helpful. I 'pershiate it.

Doing some more work on it today, I fould it must have been repainted a couple times.

There is a base of green metallic paint under the seat collar and bottom bracket. Over that, there is red, and blue metalic paint. The rear triangle seems to have a base of red, covered wtih black and the metalic blue The front triangle seems to have a base of charcoal, covered wtih black and blue.

It seems odd that it would be Charcoal, red and green from the factory. IMO, these colors seem too 'Christmas' for a factory color scheme, but I've seen worse colors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My 2001 M4 in Red-Black

Fork, bars, stem, seat, brakes, pedals are all non standard

It also has disk tabs - I suspect yours must be older. I think I've seen a test in a magazine of a green one a year or two before I bought mine.

IMG_1057s.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Too clean...

Wow, that bike is too clean. I don't think mine has been that clean in ages...

Quote Originally Posted by 99rioredsnake
    Just thought I'd send in a photo of my 2001 Stumpjumper M4 Pro. Mine has the disc tabs, so maybe yours isn't a pro or maybe just an earlier year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

scan v digicam

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    a pic or two would be helpful. I 'pershiate it.
    Sorry for the delay; I meant to give the catalog to my wife so she could try scanning earlier in the week, but failed until today. If she succeeds, I'll post that, else I'll just snap some close pictures of the catalog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf03724
    I've got the 2001 Specialized catalog still.
    Ok, I've got scans from my wife, let's see if uploading works out.

I've got larger files available if you want them, just shoot me a message offline.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hey jsf03724,

Yeah, I know it looks like I never rode it. I took those photos when I was gonna sell it on Craig's list to buy my 2006 FSR. Cleaned it with q-tips and everything! Nobody offered me over $400, so I deceided to keep it. Used bikes aren't worth anything these days! Thanks for the catalog scans, those are cool......

ballbuster

Wow, thanks!

Whelp, I think my frame is none of those.

Here are some pics of where it stands today. I started to smooth and strip it with a sander and scratch awl. You can see some of the layers of paint, and the original colors. Weird stuff. I'm hoping to have the prep and primer done this weekend. I can't find a light blue rattle can at the local HD, but I'm going to try some other hardware stores.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's why you are better off either:
    A. Turning a used bike into a single speed for tons of fun.

B. Taking all the parts that you can off if and putting on the spanking new frame that you really want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So what do I do once I replace the 01 StumpJumper with an 07 Epic? (Current plan anyway...) I've already converted my old Rockhopper to SS duties, and don't think I need two SSs.

Convert the Rockhopper to a cruiser, putting gears back on it, and convert the SJ to SS?

You guys are welcome for the scans. Again, if you want bigger, let me know, each one is about 1.5M but had to be scaled down to post here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What I would do is this: Forget the Epic. Unless you are going to race. I would then go to my specialized dealer and see what they are doing for frame trade-in/upgrades at this time. I have heard that they are doing an upgrade on the stump 120 pro frames which include the brain shock that the epic has. Then take everything you can off of your 2001 and put it on the stump 120 pro. Everything should work except for your front shock which you would want to upgrade. Anything you can't use try to sell on the classifieds or ebay or whatever. Anything you don't really like but can live with just upgrade as you go. That's just me however.

Hack Racer
    Man... go pull the yellow pages out and find a place that does sand blasting. Have them blast your frame with glass beads. Should be like 20 bucks since it's so small of a surface area. Will save your fingers and your sanity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Waterford or Vicious Cycles has a paint shop and I am sure if you contact them they can put a nice finish on that bike. It will be worth it if you plan to keep it. If I had that bike however I would have ridden as is to failure.