Uncle

2000 Enduro Expert for $500 -- Good deal? Low BB Question

I've got a line on a hardly ridden 2000 Enduro Expert. Has the Hayes Hydros with the purple levers; I recall hearing great things about these brakes. It's in great shape, but I've read that the bottom bracket height is too low. Someone mentioned flipping over the lower shock mount bracket to raise the bike. Anyone tried this? Does this create any ride quality concerns? How about the durability of this rig? I know the Judy fork blows but I have an MX Comp w/eta standing by.

Seems like a good deal, but what do you Specialized experts think?

Thanks for any help.
    Josh
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Theoretically, you've got 4 travel/geometry settings:
    - 70,5 degree HA, 4,6" travel
    - 70,5 degree HA, 3,8" travel
    - 69 degree HA, 4,6" travel
    - 69 degree HA, 3,8" travel

Only 3 of these settings are usable, because in the 69 degree HA, 4,6" travel setting the rear tire will hit the shock.

I had one of these bikes (actually it was 2001, but I think the same other than the disc mount) and I didn't think the bb was too low in the 70,5 degree HA setting, but then again there's not a single rock where I live. 69 degree HA makes the BB quite low, but it's still great for slalom/4x applications. Never tried it, but I think you'd be f******g up the geometry by flipping the link, 'cause you'd be steepening your head angle even further than 70,5 degree. It's not a flip flop link like on the '02-'04 models.

I loved the bike quite a lot, but now that I have the newer style Enduro, I can say the old one was quite flexy, but it's not really bad. By todays standards tire clearance could be described as 'poor', but we weren't riding 2,3" tires for trail applications in 2000, were we. Max width would be 2,1" in my experience, a 2,2" Enduro Pro would rub in corners... The Enduro died after 3 1/2 years of serving me well because of a seattube weld crack.
    Last edited by Enduro_506; 02-06-2005 at 05:18 AM.

Uncle

So the theory only works if the link can be flipped...

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro_506
    Theoretically, you've got 4 travel/geometry settings:
    - 70,5 degree HA, 4,6" travel
    - 70,5 degree HA, 3,8" travel
    - 69 degree HA, 4,6" travel
    - 69 degree HA, 3,8" travel

Only 3 of these settings are usable, because in the 69 degree HA, 4,6" travel setting the rear tire will hit the shock.

I had one of these bikes (actually it was 2001, but I think the same other than the disc mount) and I didn't think the bb was too low in the 70,5 degree HA setting, but then again there's not a single rock where I live. 69 degree HA makes the BB quite low, but it's still great for slalom/4x applications. Never tried it, but I think you'd be f******g up the geometry by flipping the link, 'cause you'd be steepening your head angle even further than 70,5 degree. It's not a flip flop link like on the '02-'04 models.

I loved the bike quite a lot, but now that I have the newer style Enduro, I can say the old one was quite flexy, but it's not really bad. By todays standards tire clearance could be described as 'poor', but we weren't riding 2,3" tires for trail applications in 2000, were we. Max width would be 2,1" in my experience, a 2,2" Enduro Pro would rub in corners... The Enduro died after 3 1/2 years of serving me well because of a seattube weld crack.
    well, that changes things. If it cannot be flipped as you suggest, then the travel is a non-adjustable 3.8 inches in the rear? Any idea what the frame might fetch? Gonna check the classifieds next.

mtbr member
    I was looking at flipping the bracket on my '00 Endure Comp but was not able to because the rear derailluer (dang, I just realized I have no idea how to spell that) cable was not long enough for the extra distance. I dont know how much it would change the head tube angle but would at least need to add another inch or so to the cable.

Uncle

Sold!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    I was looking at flipping the bracket on my '00 Endure Comp but was not able to because the rear derailluer (dang, I just realized I have no idea how to spell that) cable was not long enough for the extra distance. I dont know how much it would change the head tube angle but would at least need to add another inch or so to the cable.
    Shoot... Seems as though the guy sold it, as it's not showing up on the listserve anymore. He didn't reply to my email either. Guess my hesitance either ruined a good opportunity or kept me out of a headache & $500 richer. Win some, lose some I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback. Atleast I know now. BTW, checked out the forums on the Purple Hayes -- some say the best brake they've made yet.
    Josh

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    well, that changes things. If it cannot be flipped as you suggest, then the travel is a non-adjustable 3.8 inches in the rear? Any idea what the frame might fetch? Gonna check the classifieds next.
    Nono, you can have 4,6" of travel too, but only in the 70,5 degree HA setting... You can run 3,8" in both HA settings.

mtbr member

it's still not too late...

105mm,
    I have my Specialized Enduro Expert listed on E-bay for $499 right now. It's a great ride and it's got a SID fork too (I noticed you don't have a high regard for the Judy...).
    Laters,
    Todd
    ...the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong...Ecc9:11

mtbr member

I've got an 01. I always run the 69 degree head angle at 4.6 inches and have never had any issues with the tire hitting the shock. You have officially confused me. Was that speciffic to the 2000 model?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbozo
    I've got an 01. I always run the 69 degree head angle at 4.6 inches and have never had any issues with the tire hitting the shock. You have officially confused me. Was that speciffic to the 2000 model?
    Actually, mine was a 2001 too. 2001 Enduro Sport Medium. I had this problem with all the shocks I ran: stock coil-over, Vanilla R, Float R and a Vanilla RL. The stock 1,9" tire would hit the shock at bottom out. When I switched to a 2,2" Enduro Pro, it would hit the shock in mid stroke. This is indeed very strange...

mtbr member
    Actually, mine was a 2001 too. 2001 Enduro Sport Medium. I had this problem with all the shocks I ran: stock coil-over, Vanilla R, Float R and a Vanilla RL. The stock 1,9" tire would hit the shock at bottom out. When I switched to a 2,2" Enduro Pro, it would hit the shock in mid stroke. This is indeed very strange...
    I wonder if frame size is the key. Mine is an XL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Well, I've read through these forums and found skuttle about flipping the BETD link on my 01 FSR Enduro Comp and I decided to do it. In fact, I just got done. It took a while cuzz I cleaned everything while I was at it. Let me say, so far I'm pleased with what I see. You see, I've tried ditching the large chainring and setting the Manitou X-Vert fork spring pressure to max and I still hit some logs on the jumps. I weigh 190 lbs. BTW. I just got in a new E-Thirteen bashguard for 36T and a 36T ring but that only gave me 1/2" more clearance. Now, with the BETD link flipped, it looks like I got about an inch and a half clearance. I did have to lengthen the shift cable about an inch. I let the air out of the shock to check travel and it clears everything well so no worries there. There was one setting on the link that I couldn't use cuzz the shock would hit the link. I checked my headtube angle and I got 71 degrees. Looks ok. I can't wait to get out there tomarrow and try it out. Next I think I do want to get a 5" travel fork.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoki
    Next I think I do want to get a 5" travel fork.
    If you "flipped the link" you'll want to get a 5" fork asap, as a 4" is too short to compensate for the taller rear end due to the link being flipped - unless the BETD link is "neutral" or symetrical unlike the Spez factory one. Then there'd be no reason to flip it.... With the stock link flipped, I was nearly killed on my olde 2K enduro! It pre-loaded the fork dramatically and made the steering too twitchy for tech descents...

My $.02

FWIW, my 2K enduro only lasted 2 seasons - busted the seat "mast" clean off. It rode nice with a 5" Manitou Black & flipped link - good BB clearanc though I never had a problem cleaning tech stuff lowered or higher anyhow, just liked the more travel!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I got a chance to ride this weekend. Thank you mother nature. I didn't care for the adjustments. The bike handled very sketchey. My skills are a little rusty but that didn't effect what was going on with the bike. I changed the BETD link back. The bike just feels more balanced that way. I guess it is just an XC bike and not cut out for hardcore trails.