The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. 1x9 or 1x10 Enduro?

Do many riders get rid of the granny on their Enduros? I almost never use it and the noise of the chain hitting the front derailleur drives me crazy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I got rid of my largest ring when I put a bashgaurd on. I use a 36t and the granny gear for long climbs. If you ride mostly dh and don't do any strenuous fireroad climbs to get to the top, then I would do a 1x10.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    started with 2x9 but never used the granny. got a single ring guide and went1x9, im using a 32t ring up front and 11-32 cassette, this gearing set-up is still good for long hard climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i run a gamut p30, 36T ring and 11-34 cassette. perfect for nor cal, tahoe and everywhere around here.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    Do many riders get rid of the granny on their Enduros? I almost never use it and the noise of the chain hitting the front derailleur drives me crazy.
    I converted my '08 Enduro to a 2x9 w/ a Race Face guide and guard. I am now running 2x10 on my Evo, and wouldn't think of converting to 1x10 in my case. I use the granny ring to "spin" (not "mash") on steep climbs in order to avoid losing too much energy to the fully active suspension.

Noise coming from the chain hitting the front derailleur? I don't have this problem at all. Or perhaps I've just never noticed it. Is it a stock set-up or did you already convert it?

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfSailRide
    Noise coming from the chain hitting the front derailleur? I don't have this problem at all. Or perhaps I've just never noticed it. Is it a stock set-up or did you already convert it?
    The setup is stock style, but I upgraded the chainrings and cassette after a year of abusing the stock ones. Derailleurs/shifters and chainguide are stock.

I'm not sure the noise is from the derailleur, but it is due to the chain. The noise is still there whether or not I am turning the cranks, but goes away if I pull off the chain and coast. It doesn't seem to be a chainslap issue because I hear it even when I am rolling on relatively smooth ground. A clinking sound that is overpowered by wind and tire noise at cruising or downhill speeds, so I only hear it on long slow sections and uphills where the tires biting aren't too loud.

My next test is to pull the front derailluer for a ride and see what happens, this will also help me decide how bad I want to keep the granny.

mtbr member
    Whether or not you decide to go to a 1x9, it seems as though that sound could be an easy fix, unrelated to the ring set-up. Sounds a bit odd though...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    To answer your original question, where I ride I would consider going 1x10 with 11/36 cassette and 36T chainring, but a 1x9 system would not offer enough of a gear range - either easy enough for uphill but not enough for down/flat, or too hard for ups with a decent sized chainring...

I ride double and bash with a guide. Chainslap noise drives me crazy - I have fitted foam inside the front derailleur (above the chain), and a small piece of Camelbak tubing on the bridge between the inner and outer cage (under the chain). I also run a double-style chain guide which stops the chain noise against the 44t chainring when DHing in the 32t.