mtbr member
    Mar 2004

1x10 spider options?

I'm going to run a 1x10 drivetrain on my next bike. I'm planning on using the S-Works crank but need to see what options are out there for my spider/ring. Are my only options the Specialized 38/24 spider (planning on using a 34t 104BCD chainring) or a Homebrewed spiderless ring? Weighing my options. I'm also considering a Rotor ring so if any knowledge on their compatibility is also greatly appreciated. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by erichwic; 09-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You can use an MRP bling ring. (same thing as the spiderless ring) or any single ring for a 104 BCD. (I currently have a raceface 34t on mine) It also appears that the SRAM XX1 chainrings will work as well when they are released.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    You can use an MRP bling ring. (same thing as the spiderless ring) or any single ring for a 104 BCD. (I currently have a raceface 34t on mine) It also appears that the SRAM XX1 chainrings will work as well when they are released.
    It doesn't say that he Bling Ring is compatible with the Specialized cranks?
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I use a triple spider with a 33t mounted where the middle ring would typically be. Works great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'll look into that option. Did you have trouble finding a 5 bolt chainring to fit?
    Last edited by erichwic; 09-03-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's your standard 4 bolt 104/64 spider. I think the 38/24 chainrings use the same spider, not the 120/80 bcd that the XX chainrings use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ok, thx. Can't find a pic online but I trust you.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think I'm going to buy the compact carbon road spider to fit. It has a 5-bolt set up but has a BCD of 110 which is a common size. Anyone confirm whether the road spider will definitely fit the mountain cranks?
    MCH Co-Captain

vfb
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am running the xx 24/38 spider with a 34 tooth rotor chainring mounted. Love it, but has also tought about running the 110 bcd road spider.