mtbr member
    Aug 2006

1996 StumpJumper REBORN!

I decided to start rebuilding my StumpJumper in July '06 I started off with:

Shimano Cassette (I forgot which one)
    Race Face Chain Rings (Team Rings)
    New Shimano Chain (8spd)
    Race Face Stem

I was going to stop there, but I caught the update bug. Next I bought a new Saddle and other things over the next 2 months:

Selle San Marco Aspide (Fits me so well)
    Thompson Elite Seat Post
    And I totally recabled my bike.
    Oh and to cap it off, I got a Chris King Headset.

Then in December my buddy finished building his Titus Moto Lite (dude it has Chris King EVERYTHING!) and I asked him what he was going to do with his '03 Enduro. He told me he was going to sell it for 500 bucks. I said sold! After a few back and forth of "are you serious about the price, thats only 100 more then you paid for the Fox Vanilla RLC alone," and "are you serious you want it" I got it! But the StumpJumper is still my baby, and I just can't let it rot

Last week (02.05.07) I decided to get new wheelsets because the ones I had were 11 years old. I bought Sun Rhyno Lites with Shimano XT hubs, and DTswiss spokes. I put a Sram PG850 cassette on it because it was only 24 dollars. The Shimano Cassette I bought last June was double that price. (I bought the Custom Wheelset from Atomic Bikes in Whittier California) Oh, and I put Kenda Nevegal tires on it to round it off. These rims are MONSTER wide!

Old Wheelset with Panaracer Fire XC 2.10 (Which I consider AMAZING tires!)

New Wheelset with Kenda Nevegal 2.10 (Which I think are even better than the Panaracers)

Then When I went to pump up my Rock Shox Sid, the seal broke on that proprietary Rock Shox Valve (they had to be like Sony!) and I had to go and get it rebuilt since a new Sid would have cost more than the bike itself! They replaced the piston and valve with a new piston and scharder valve. Covina Cyclery does great shock work, Covina CA.

Here is the rebuild.

And the Finished Specialized 1996 StumpJumper (the Shimano PD-M540 Pedals are coming from speedgoat.com this week I think)

I might as well show my other bikes while I'm at it.
    Specialized 2003 Enduro (New Sram PG980 Cassette, XTR Chain [never will buy again, gonna go with Sram 991 or XT level chain next time], RaceFace Chain Rings, Thompson Seat Post and Shimano PD-M540 Pedals [which came from the StumpJumper], Chris King Headset soon to come (hopefully), sending my Rear Shock to Push soon, and my Fox Vanilla RLC is going to get rebuilt at the same LBS I did the Rock Shox Sid after I get the parts)

Trek 1500 (Discover Channel Edition)

The Trek got new tires recently too Kenda Kaliente Kevlar Bead

I was going to take the StumpJumper out on Sunday, but it was raining here in Socal. So maybe next weekend.

Thanks for reading.
    ~Michael
    Last edited by Mbayushi; 02-12-2007 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member

Cool

Very Nice Michael- I like that blue paint on the Stumpy. Those Kenda look awesome on the bike.

Life is Good
    A new wheelset/tire combo always makes any bike look like it just came off the showroom floor, I love it!

Nice work! Enjoy the new ride
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The first time I road the Kenda Nevegals on my enduro, I knew I had to get them for the Stumpjumper. I love the blue paint also, I thought about powder coating it, but I can't give up that paint and decal scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Wick
    Very Nice Michael- I like that blue paint on the Stumpy. Those Kenda look awesome on the bike.

parts leftover
    I love to see mid-90s Stumpjumpers fixed up! Great rims, I have Rhyno Lites on my Turner.

Sent you a PM with the powdercoated info if you decide you do want to repaint it. You might be able to get a pretty close match to the original gunmetal grey.

That saddle looks painful. If you are determined to stick with a narrow, light saddle, check out the deal on the WTB Shadow V on PerformanceBike.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice bike collection...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MoBBRules
    Nice bike collection...
    Last edited by Mbayushi; 02-14-2007 at 05:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I used to have an Enduro...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My primary geared mountain bike is a 98 Stumpy M2. I think they are great frames light and strong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah you did, I own it now.

no more XTR chains for me!

Quote Originally Posted by MoBBRules
    I used to have an Enduro...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This thread makes me want to take pics/post about my rebuilt 94 rockhopper.
    CRMOY all the way baby.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

little update on the stumpjumper

Well, the rear grip shifter (the original one from 1996) finally broke after all these years, so I decided to go to trigger shifters. Sram Attacks were the only 8speed shifters I could find. I have X.7 shifters on my Enduro, which I like, and since the Sram Attacks have the 2:1 ratio shift it was perfect.

I also changed my brake levers to avid speed dial 7 and finished off the handle bars with ODI rogue grips.

And since I changed the Enduro components to Sram X.7 I moved the XT derailleur over to StumpJumper to bring the bike back to its XT days.

This was fun to do, however I'm glad I'm finished with the stumpjumper (it was actually pretty cheap to do all this stuff to the SJ.) The Enduro is almost finished. I will take pictures of that when the rear shock comes back from push, and the chris king wheels come from Larry.

Michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

I decided to sell it

Its being sold to my friend, but I took off the...

Chris King Headset (replaced it with a Cane Creek S3)
    San Marco Saddle (repalced it with a extra saddle i had lying around)
    Shimano M540 Pedals (replaced with standard pedals)

thats about 300 dollars with of stuff I can save on my next build

Michael

The Pale Rider
    Man, this thread takes me back to when I completely gutted my '96 Stumpy A1-FS for XT/Raceface components...then sold it about 3 years later.

I still kick my own ass over that.
    "You can't get there from here."

Late 90's Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (steel frame)

mtbr member
    Eh, this thread takes me back to last week when I had my Stumpy FSR on my stand in from of my silver 04 WRX just like that one (well, his might be an 05 by the headlights)...

1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ahhh, my first REAL mountain bike (after two ~$200 Price Club Motivs) was an end-of-season 1996 gunmetal anodized M2 Stumpy Comp, for $800 at Mike's Bikes in San Rafael. Very stiff, tough, hardtail frame. After a couple of years, I started messing with it, with some help from my friends, who were as much into motocross as anything else.

Right away, I threw some XT V-Brakes on, and some bar ends. Of course, the motocross buddies had some influence (I vaguely remember slavering over a couple of Karpiel Armageddon & Disco Volante frames hanging on the wall in Mark Weir's garage, but that was so remote, considering my utter inablility to hang with that gang) - so, after 3 rebound damper blowouts on my Manitou SX, I picked up a used triple-clamp Manitou X-Vert DC (125 mm) with an integrated MRD crown/stem, ditched the Ground Control tires for some $20 IRC Kujo DHs, and slogged that pig up and down the Marin trails for a couple of seasons.

Along the way, I found the rear end to be just too punishing, and tossed on an undamped pogo stick of a seatpost in the Thudbuster by Cane Creek, or Acme, or some such outfit, inexplicably coupled with a Terry Fly Ti saddle.
    It certainly staved off the inevitable full-suss upgrade, and actually had some resale value.

So I parted it out for $400 for the original bike (plus V-brakes and a $30 WTB saddle) and $350 for the rest, and moved on to an Isis. After 7 years, and my Ells jacked outside of a San Jose Micky D's at 6 AM on a foggy June Monday, I'm back on another Stumpy. This time, it's an eBay 2006 S-Works FSR, which is a completely different animal, and actually lighter than the original hardtail (pre-Freeride Frankenstein period).

And yet, I yearn for the '96, when life was simpler, and carbon was something emitted in mass quantities out the backside of my '82 Diesel Rabbit...
    Last edited by mhoopes; 08-28-2007 at 01:41 AM.

mtbr member

Keep orig purchase receipt...

You may need it if you ride that 03 Enduro much, in 03 they were still fixing issues with that frame.

Hope you dont have this prob but I have seen it too many times.
    C.SPRINGS