mtbr member
    Apr 2005

1995 M2 FS rebirth - fork recommendation

I have a M2 FS (front suspension only), which I believe is a 1995 model. When I bought the bike, my dealer recommended upgrading to the Judy XC fork and I took them up on that for some reason. I've always liked this frame. If you remember, this came in black and to show you how hip and happenin' Specialized was at the time, the other color was "Grunge Grape." So I'm thinking about using it for a hardtail build. The only thing I remember about the Judy specs was that it had a plastic damper cartridge that failed in a week or two. Anyone know how much travel she had and what might make a nice replacement? I assume it has a 1 1/8" steerer.

Cheers,

Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Check: web.archive.org

The archive of Specialized pages shows it has: 1 1/8 steerer and a Manitou Pro suspension fork. You could look the fork up, but I would guess is ~2 inches of travel. Today, a light 80mm fork is most likely your best bet.

mtbr member
    63mm travel on those old judy's, bushings wore out fast too.
    if you've got a 1 1/8" headtube, get something with no more than 80mm travel, which shouldn't be too hard, depending on budget.
    I eventually ended up with a late 90's 'zoke Z2 (80mm travel with speedbomb kit) on my '96 M2, which was a great fork for the frame.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have that bike in the Grunge Grape color. I think mine's a 1996 M2 FS Comp. Full XT and a 63mm Judy XC. I replaced the fork with a 80mm Manitou, and the geomtry is still good. That is such a strong light frame. I still ride it once in a while. By the way, the specified weight is 23 point something pounds stock. The Judy XC is a lot heavier than the manitou I replaced it with. I also changed the pedals for eggbeaters, put on some Avid SD7 V-Brakes & levers, & a few other upgrades. I ended up with a real light quick steering bike that squirts uphill. Awesome ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm thinking about the F80RLT. I have the 100 version on my Turner and I'm pretty happy with that so far. I think over the winter I'll make this a project to bring this 10 year old bike up-to-date.

Cheers,
    Steve