mtbr member
    Apr 2014

'18 Epic FS sizing?

My dilemma: I'm about 6.3", but the length is in my upper body. I've owned a '16 Epic in Large, and it worked fine for races up to 8 hours, so..on the other hand, I've currently got an XL Camber ('17) and a L Stumpjumper FSR('16). Both work fine, even for really long rides, but somehow I feel more "inside" the large Stumpy, and more on top of the Camber.

According to the sizing charts, I should be on an XL, but I'm really not sure. On my Camber, I'm running a 60mm stem, and the 120mm dropper is as long as there's room for in that frame. 130mm, and I wouldn't have reached the pedals..

IMO, Specialized have fixed the issues I had with the Epic, so I'm looking to sell the Camber and get another Epic. Do I go for L or XL? I will fit a dropper post, and probably a 60-75mm stem. I'll be running ultra trail races, with the odd XC stuff thrown in.

I don't have any options to test any of the sizes unfortunately, as the LBS don't have any bikes in - and the next one is about a 2.5 hour drive away.

Grateful for any input..

mtbr member
    The FS already has larger longer geometry than the hardtail. 456mm reach on the large. A Giant hardtail I'm looking at has less on the XL. Judge it by the geo not the sizing.

mtbr member
    any "competent" Specialized bike shop should have something like this from Specialized

'18 Epic FS sizing?-aa_epic_stump_enduro_crave_fuse_rockhopper_fatboy_levo.gif

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/s-work...e12856/product

It's a easy cheat-sheet for the dealer to get an idea of what size bike someone might need based upon their height.

My local shop has one for when a customer comes in shopping for a new bike and they the bike shop can easily ask how tall are they so they can direct them over to a correct size bike.

At 6'3" how in the hell did you fit on a Large epic?

mtbr member
    The geometry is different on nearly every bike. My old rockhopper large is way smaller than my Epic large. Different brands also have different ideas about sizing.

Some brands change stem length with sizing and others don't etc. Giant runs an 80mm as where specialized has different stems on all the sizes and the large has a 100mm

The FS and the HT have different geo.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    any "competent" Specialized bike shop should have something like this from Specialized

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA_Epic_Stump_Enduro_Crave_Fuse_Rockhopper_Fatboy_Levo.gif 
Views:	14 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	1158203

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/s-work...e12856/product

It's a easy cheat-sheet for the dealer to get an idea of what size bike someone might need based upon their height.

My local shop has one for when a customer comes in shopping for a new bike and they the bike shop can easily ask how tall are they so they can direct them over to a correct size bike.

mtbr member
    Well obviously you didn't click on the link I easily "googled" and provided. (as anyone could of done also by the way) Nevertheless...

If you had you would of seen clearly that the geometry cheat-sheet was specifically for the 2018 Epic models as asked for.

A few keystrokes on the internet is sometimes all it takes to get the answer to the question you are specifically looking for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    At 6'3 I would suggest that you get an XL.
    I am 5'10 and I fit right between a medium and a large.

A large would be tiny on you-

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The same way that i fit my '16 Stumpjumper FSR in large - just fine Checked with Google, and I'm actually 6.2336".
    As I said, my length is not in my legs. If I ran an XL Stumpy, I would not be able to have more than 120mm of dropper post. That's the first I've found on the '18 Epic for sizing, just seen older ones where I'm just 2cm over the L/XL switch. Seems now that I'm well into XL territory.

Since 2012, I've owned:
    XL Carve hardtail - felt too big
    XL Camber Evo ('14) - felt good
    XL Enduro - too high front end, a bit cramped cockpit
    L Epic - fit was good, but seat post a tad high to my liking..
    L Stumpjumper - fits fine, a bit nervous at high speeds
    XL Camber - fine for easy trails, gravel and ultra trail races, but feels big and cumbersome when it gets gnarly

mtbr member
    They don't even make an xxl model. That chart is on every bike that site has...

Well obviously you didn't click on the link I easily "googled" and provided. (as anyone could of done also by the way) Nevertheless...

If you had you would of seen clearly that the geometry cheat-sheet was specifically for the 2018 Epic models as asked for.

A few keystrokes on the internet is sometimes all it takes to get the answer to the question you are specifically looking for.