I'm such a fox

150mm on 03 Enduro Comp.... Bad idea?

Like the title asks, Bad idea? I recently picked up a Manitou Sherman Flick, the 110/150mm travel model and was wanting to try it out on my Enduro. I currently have a Fox Float 130RLC on it but I want to switch over to a spring fork and also something with a 20mm thru axle, just in case anyone is wondering why I picked up the Sherman Flick; plus the price was right.

Will the additional inch of travel slacken up the steering too much? I use the steeper setting of the Flip/Flop link and have the stock Float R in the rear.

Give me your opinions and real life experiences, I want to hear it all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by endoMaster
    Like the title asks, Bad idea? I recently picked up a Manitou Sherman Flick, the 110/150mm travel model and was wanting to try it out on my Enduro. I currently have a Fox Float 130RLC on it but I want to switch over to a spring fork and also something with a 20mm thru axle, just in case anyone is wondering why I picked up the Sherman Flick; plus the price was right.

Will the additional inch of travel slacken up the steering too much? I use the steeper setting of the Flip/Flop link and have the stock Float R in the rear.

Give me your opinions and real life experiences, I want to hear it all.
    I have run both the 150mm Flick & Firefly in the steeper setting. I like the way my XL Pro rides w/ the long a-c height. I still ride the Enduro like a trail bike. As long as you ride the Enduro as a trail bike all is good.

grumpy northerner
    Mar 2004
    I don't know if it's a bad idea - I'd think twice before buying a 6 inch fork to see if I liked it or not, but since you already own one you won't actually lose anything by just putting it on your bike

My main concerns would be that it would slow the steering too much, and chopper out the front of the bike so you can't climb well. Benefits are obvious - an extra inch of suspension travel, plusher travel from the switch from air to coil, etc.

The axle-to-crown length of a 150mm Sherman Flick is 532mm according to Answer's website, so you'll be jacking up the front of your bike by just over an inch, which will slacken the headtube angle by maybe a degree and a half. That isn't too bad, and you can use the travel adjust for climbs (although I have to use ECC on my FR SL to get up some steep climbs as it is, and that's only a 518mm fork).

Bear in mind that you'll void your frame warranty, if that's something you care about, since Specialized state a maximum fork travel of 130mm (it actually used to be 125mm in 2003).

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I recently installed an AM-1 on my 02 enduro. Love the fork, but @ 150mm travel the bike steers weird, kinda slow/wide. I ended up with an inbetween setting, somewhere around 5 1/2 " of travel. If the Flick's adjustable It'll probably work for you. If you check out the intense board, there are a handefull of guys riding 4" travel tracers with 130mm Z1's, can't imagine how that would handle.

I'm such a fox
    Quote Originally Posted by Wils

The axle-to-crown length of a 150mm Sherman Flick is 532mm according to Answer's website, so you'll be jacking up the front of your bike by just over an inch, which will slacken the headtube angle by maybe a degree and a half. That isn't too bad, and you can use the travel adjust for climbs (although I have to use ECC on my FR SL to get up some steep climbs as it is, and that's only a 518mm fork).
    Old thread I know but I have still been thinking about this. The bike came with a 125mm fork and according to Specialized specs that would give me a head angle of 70.5 in the steep linkage setting. From what I've read on this board the general rule of thumb is that adding an inch of travel usually slackens the head angle by one degree. If this is the case the flick would put me at roughly 69.5 degree head angle if I left the rear linkage in the steep setting. This would technically keep me within acceptable specs would it not?

grumpy northerner
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by endoMaster
    Old thread I know but I have still been thinking about this. The bike came with a 125mm fork and according to Specialized specs that would give me a head angle of 70.5 in the steep linkage setting. From what I've read on this board the general rule of thumb is that adding an inch of travel usually slackens the head angle by one degree. If this is the case the flick would put me at roughly 69.5 degree head angle if I left the rear linkage in the steep setting. This would technically keep me within acceptable specs would it not?
    The specced 125mm fork giving you a 70.5 degree head angle is an older Fox with an axle-to-crown length of 495mm. If you go with a 150mm fork, you're looking at 532-540mm, which is an increase of 37- 45. The '1 degree per inch' rule is potentially '0.5 degrees per 10mm', depending on who you ask (and other factors, such as the wheelbase of your bike), so you could end up with a 68-68.5 degree head angle, or less if you happen to run a bigger tyre at the front than the rear.

I still don't think this is an issue - the Turner 6-Pack typically has a 68 degree head tube with a 6" fork, amongst other bikes - and you haven't accounted for the increase in sag yet either. [edit: just occurred to me that the 1 inch rule probably does account for sag, so ignore me ].

If you're a particularly heavy rider it might be a bad idea, because you'll be applying greater leverage forces to the head tube than it was designed for, but otherwise it's probably just the warranty-voiding thing (and that's based on your honesty with your LBS anyway, for the most part).