Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rider
    Nov 2010

142+ Explained Graphically

This made it easier for me to understand the new "standard"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 142+ Explained Graphically-142plusexplained.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How much do you think one would be able to get for a never used Specialized 142+ rear hub? I'm looking to get rid of the one one that came on my S-Works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic
    How much do you think one would be able to get for a never used Specialized 142+ rear hub? I'm looking to get rid of the one one that came on my S-Works.
    I'll start the bidding at 1 case of beer!

Rider
    Nov 2010
    Pm sent

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone know if the '11 SX Trail 2 runs this hub? Can a Hope Pro 2 be converted, or a Chris King????

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It says 142 on the specs but doesn't specify the "+" which is key.

mtbr member
    Just as we suspected. To swap between a 142 and a 142+ hub will require derailleur adjustment.

Ugh. Specialized really needs to step up and offer the DT internals hub for sale.

For those (tls36) that haven't seen this here is the info page at Syntace who developed this standard.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=1&pk=1314

Scroll down for a list of compatible hubs.

Short answer - Yes Hope Pro 2 and Chris King can be converted.

I'm going to wager that the SX Trail is a standard 142 and NOT the Specialized proprietary 142+.

Cheers!

P.S. Huge THANK YOU to Epic29er for posting this great illustration of what this new standard really means and what Specialized has done with it to be a real pain in our ass.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm not even going to use Specialized hubs, so it looks like the standard 142 will work for me. Don't want to deal with the derailleur adjustment. That is disappointing because I'd love to get a set of the carbon Roval's for a race set-up but due to the required adjustment, I'll be getting a few sets of Stans.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Sort of OT, but I wonder why Spec. says that it's 142+ hubs wouldn't fit any other 142x12 frames... to my non-engineering educated eye, I can't see why they wouldn't work.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Sort of OT, but I wonder why Spec. says that it's 142+ hubs wouldn't fit any other 142x12 frames... to my non-engineering educated eye, I can't see why they wouldn't work.
    My guess would be the 2mm that the cassette is spaced could cause some rubbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    My guess would be the 2mm that the cassette is spaced could cause some rubbing.
    I can see that. They probably designed some extra clearance for the chain in the small cog.

Then again, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Certainly worth a try.

mtbr member
    also anyone ever see or read about the new 135mm standard? upon inspecting the roval 135 carbon rim it looks like it is using the "new 135" anyone ever see this wheel in the flesh?
    Last edited by yxan; 01-27-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Rider
    Nov 2010
    yxan,
    The picture at the top of the thread has both 135 standards.

mtbr member
    question for the experts? can you put 135 (5mm QR) end caps on the 142+ hub negating the x12 standard? I wonder cause for single speed hardtail this would be pretty sweet. more triangle in hub, and really cassette spacing on a single speed is irrelevant

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Short answer - Yes Hope Pro 2 and Chris King can be converted.
    I believe the Hope Pro 2 adapter is available now. When I talked to King back in November though, they told me it would be mid-summer before the King 142mm adapter kit would be available.

Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    P.S. Huge THANK YOU to Epic29er for posting this great illustration of what this new standard really means and what Specialized has done with it to be a real pain in our ass.
    I'd love to know how much of a difference the 2mm makes for wheel stiffness. When I talked to the guy at Specialized CS he made it sound like it would be a dramatic improvement. I personally find that a little hard to believe. I'm sure that it is incrementally better, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to tell the difference personally, especially when I'm using Crest rims which aren't going to be the stiffest to begin with.

Granted, I have the 142+ hub (non DT internals) at home and I'm not spending the $$ to build it up - guess I'm not that curious...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    Granted, I have the 142+ hub (non DT internals) at home and I'm not spending the $$ to build it up - guess I'm not that curious...
    Turner, I'll let you know how they are. I have a crest rim sitting in the garage that I'll be built up on my 142+ hub. I will have the crest set of 142+ and the 142+ carbons. I converted a set of ztr crest wheels to 142 for my sister and will do a head to head comparison between the two on the same trail with the same tire/pressure. Only problem is we just got 21"+ of snow yesterday and the test may take a while.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan
    question for the experts? can you put 135 (5mm QR) end caps on the 142+ hub negating the x12 standard? I wonder cause for single speed hardtail this would be pretty sweet. more triangle in hub, and really cassette spacing on a single speed is irrelevant

i tried swapping out the end caps between my roval carbon 29ers and the aluminum roval 29ers both use the dtswiss internals... i could not get it to work, if anyone gets this to work, please let me know

on another note I have converted the roval aluminum 29ers that use the dtswiss internals to 142 with the dtswiss conversion kit

mtbr member
    So, is a rear 142+ wheel convertable to fit into a standard, 135mm frame? Easily?

I ask, because I'm looking at getting a new Epic, but the models I'm looking at (non S-works) come with the 142+, but I'll be using a lighter wheelset and won't have any use for the stock wheels (therefore I would like to sell them).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    So, is a rear 142+ wheel convertable to fit into a standard, 135mm frame? Easily?
    It really depends on the wheel. The conversion from 142mm to 135mm requires a different axle for the hubs that I have seen. Most hub manufacturers seem to be offering the conversion (I9, Hope, King sometime this year, DT Swiss) - I'm guessing there are more, but these are the ones that I was specifically researching a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Why does S even bother with a 142+????? I mean does it REALLY make a big difference for the bikes or riders that these 142+ are put on??? C'mon S, you guys are over engineering!

except change 29er's
    Oct 2005
    My I9's converted no problem new shaft and caps. I guess there's a reason why they cost alot at first. It wasn't even that expensive for the shaft and caps.....To bad they clash a little on color. Green spokes with brown hub on a flow yellow frame.. I'll have to go all brown when I have to money for some new spokes...

mtbr member
    My issue is that I want an Epic 29er (either the Expert or Evo R), but I want to upgrade to either the cabon Rovals or Stans Podium MMX before even getting the bike.

So can someone smarter than me explain what I should do, if the shop won't give me a decent credit (if any at all) for the stock wheelset?

They will never be used, so I would want to sell them if not (to offset the cost of the upgrade), but I'm assuming the market would be very slim given the 142+ style rear hub, correct?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chauzie
    Why does S even bother with a 142+????? I mean does it REALLY make a big difference for the bikes or riders that these 142+ are put on??? C'mon S, you guys are over engineering!
    AccordIng to the clearly unbiased individual that I spoke with at S customer service, the '+' makes a significant difference....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    AccordIng to the clearly unbiased individual that I spoke with at S customer service, the '+' makes a significant difference....
    damn right! significant difference in the revenue stream!

You know it's ridiculous marketing to the Nth degree when we have XC riders having to pick their brains out between 135, 142, 142+! What's next? 149.3+???
    Wasn't it only a few years ago that dh bike rear axel were 135?? So I guess today according to S, an Epic rider has progressed to dh level now. Damn S marketing! haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I had the new 142 rear axle and end caps installed on my DT 240 and the rotor/caliper and not lining up......about 3mm difference...for reference the brake is new xtr 985 and the rotor is RT76 6 Bolt Shimano....not sure what the fix is...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast