Thread: 142+ to 142 hub

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

142+ to 142 hub

I purchased a stumpy FSR 2012 September last year, it was an ex demo bike, and came with no warranty.

Today my rear hub self destructed

I've been reading up on the standard issue 142+ and haven't heard a good word about them. I now want to change to standard 142 front and rear (Hope pro2 Evo 142 12mm)

Am I right in thinking it should be a straight swap into the frame, but I'll have to adjust rear derailure and disc?! To accommodate the change?

and secondly I want to keep the Easton wheels that came with the bike can I just hook up the new Hope's to these or will there be issues due to the previous 142+ that I'm replacing?

Any advice greatly appreciated!! I'm currently sitting with a 1600 paper weight

keith

mtbr member

142+ to 142 hub

There isn't a problem using a standard 142x12mm hub in a Specialized frame. All you have to do is adjust the rear brake caliper and rear derailleur limit screws.

You can have the original rim that came with the bike built into a different rear hub. You may find that along with the new rear hub you will need new spokes also, as changing the hub can sometimes require a different length spoke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like WR said. I run 142+ on one bike and 142 on the other. No difference other then the 142+ not being able to be run on a non-specialized frame. Hope would be a solid choice for rear hub.

The Hutch
    I have had no problems either running a regular 142 (end caps) from a 135mm axle (hope hubs, stan's hubs and dtswiss hubs) on my Epic's -
    My question tho I have a 2013 set of Roval's from my stick Epic expert, its 142+ but the end caps come off, so does that mean I can put regular QR end caps ( I have some laying around from a carbon Roval wheelset I bought) and use these wheels on my 135 Spot brand bike?
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member

142+ to 142 hub

Assuming that the end caps fit on the Roval 142+ hub it might work. There's no harm in trying it out on the workstand to see if the frame clearance is enough.

The main thing to consider is that fitting the endcaps from a 135mm Roval hub body onto a 142+ Roval hub body won't result in a 135mm length rear axle. The additional 2mm width of the Roval hub body, combined with the 135mm Roval end caps, should mean the hub's axle length becomes 137mm.

Depending upon your frame that 137mm rear axle length could still fit in the frame. There's usually enough of a gap allowed. The problem is that the wider rear axle puts additional strain on the frame dropouts however.

This PDF shows the difference in measurements between the different Roval hubs:

http://service.specialized.com/colla...lity-Guide.pdf

The Hutch
    Thanks - I'll try it out tonight and see what I get .. I'll keep all posted ..
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch