Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

140mm fork on a 08 stumpjumper fsr?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  rustyenduro 
#1 ·
What is the max fork length you can use on the 08 stumpjumper fsr?

The specialized website shows the bike with 120mm fork.

#7 ·
I changed my 08 fork on my 08 stumpy expert to a 08 talas rlc...all i have to say is BALLER STATUS.

What specialized was trying to do was "assume" most of us wanted the .5 pound weight difference instead of an extra 20mm of travel. Seeing how that is the less expensive route and how most XC racers are all about light weight it seemed to work out. But for those of us who dont mind .5 pounds of difference and want/need that extra travel for those extra drops. Then this is a great option to take. Swap the fork for the talas and you will be glad you did.

Same climbing abilities, extra confidence going down. Option to change when needed.

Nuff said.

#8 ·
No-

What specialized was trying to do was BALANCE the ride 120/120 F/R, for the 08 bike. The 08 is decidedly and obviously more of an XC rig than the 07 and 06's, which were more AM- hence the burlier frames and longer travel. This year's run is about lighter weight, nimble handling, XC features like the brain and futureshock, it's more of a kickback to the stuff the stumpy line was built-on and made famous for years ago.

Now, I don't think the 140mm and extra weight would be much of a detriment, but it's taking the design of the bike off course. If you're looking to do more drops, and that style of riding on it, perhaps a Pitch or Enduro would've been a better choice to begin with.

#11 ·
lol... well OP, whatever you choose will probably be fine. I dont know if it will void the spesh warranty, but I doubt the small change in HT angle will break the frame. If it would, i need to find a new bike manufacturer. Now you know it's possible since scatman is running that set-up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.