mtbr member
    Jun 2013

14 Hardrock Brakes/Fork

Quick question for the pro's out there!

So I recently purchased my first Mtn Bike, 2014 Specialized Hardrock and absolutely love everything about it...almost everything.

The brakes are ok..., and that's my fault for not paying the $90 more for disc version of the hardrock, but would it help to get different pads at all?

Also, fairly confused about the Suntour forks lockout. It seems as if no matter what way I turn the lockout, it makes no difference. The suspension acts the same no matter what. I am changing the setting when standing near the bike so there's no additional weight. Is this how it's supposed to be?

A lot of people will say 'ride it til it breaks and save up for a $1500 bike', but I like this bike, and would like to stick with it for a few years if possible. Is the Suntour program my only option as far as a fork goes? I know with V-Brakes, my options are limited.

Just looking for some opinions from Hardrock riders!

Fat-tired Roadie
    For the brakes, Kool Stop Salmon brake pads rock. Your brake shoes are probably the kind with a big post sticking out of a self-supporting brake pad. So, get the package that includes holders. They replace the whole assembly. In future, you only need pads. Take your time when you install and adjust the new pads and holders. I think there are instructions for doing this on parktool.com. It's not difficult, and makes a pretty big difference in noise and wear.

"Supposed to" is a funny phrase when applied to a low-end fork. It's supposed to do a lot of things. But you can't ride suppositions.

There are all sorts of choices for replacing your fork. My 'B' MTB is the Hardrock I bought in 2007. It was my 'A' MTB until earlier this summer, and I didn't have a lot of discretionary income until earlier this summer. So far, it's had the stock RST fork, which seized, a Manitou R7 I found on EBay for $75 and rode into the ground, and currently it has an '01 Marzocchi Bomber, which I gave a former teammate $50 for.

After I killed the R7, I looked at my options. At the time, it seemed like in a retail suspension fork, the RS Recon Gold was the way to go for something I'd buy on purpose and keep long-term. I decided it was the wrong time to spend what that cost and didn't want to do EBay again; my next plan was a rigid fork. These retail for about $80. I'm pretty happy with how things turned out, though.

Non-retail routes include the Suntour upgrade program, clearance sites like pricepoint.com, EBay, pinkbike, craigslist, and, of course, bro-deals. Also, your shop may be able to hook you up on a new bike takeoff. There are always choices.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the $1500 pricepoint. Yeah, you get a nicer package, but I think many high-volume riders would still chew up a lot of the parts inside of five years. Go big.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is it this spec?
    2014 Specialized Hardrock 26

That is what we get in the UK. If so, I'm not sure the fork has lockout.

Can you post a picture of the lever? My kids have a 2012 hardrock and 2013 myka (both disc versions) but have lockout on the xct forks.

Also +1 on the cartridge brake blocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: 14 Hardrock Brakes/Fork

I will post a pic tonight after work. Maybe it's not the lockout but it lets be adjust something. Whatever it is, seems as if it doesn't matter what way I turn it.
    And yes, that is by bike.

Checking out the brakes now! what ones do I wabt that have the housing? ...it will be mostly dry conditions. Im just having a hard time determining what fork would work on my bike, being it has V's

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wondered if it was the pre load dial.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dee View Post
    I wondered if it was the pre load dial.
    Thinking the same thing. I got a Disc 29 version and don't have lockout on the Suntour fork.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.

My wife's myka is the sport (2012) and had xcm forks which do have lockout. The pre load dial then is on the other fork leg. But it's a lever not a dial and is clearly marked up as lockout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Here it is, must not be the lockout like I initially thought.

Also just purchased some VP-565 pedals from my lbs, for $17 I couldn't pass them up and they actually have decent reviews
    Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14 Hardrock Brakes/Fork-uploadfromtaptalk1379631639605.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That fork has no lockout. That dial is for preload adjustment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As suspected that is the preload dial. Twist it towards the minus symbol for softer or the plus for harder - the idea is for setting sag, etc.

It's always, imho, harder on a coil fork but Spesh are good at choosing the right spring rate for the frame size unlike most others. For eg. on my daughter's Myka she has the XCT fork and as she is light (and small - on a 15" frame) I dial it to full minus. Although she gets little sag when sitting on the bike she still has useable travel out on the trail.