Bad cat!

13epic comp alloy with upgrades or epic expert?

Looking at an epic, seems like a great bike for me. My kindly lbs owner ran through some prices with me, so given similar final cost what would you do?

Option one, just get the expert and ride it as-is.
    Option two, get the alloy comp, roval carbon sl wheel upgrade, and bump the cranks up to SRAM xo. Possibly still have enough to throw on a carbon bar or similar minor bling.

Epic riders what say ye?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get the Expert

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    Get the Expert
    X2.....the you can always upgrade components, but by getting the expert you already get carbon frame, and the XTR RD....which IMHO is awesome. I love that RD on my SJ FSR.

Bad cat!
    Two for the Expert...thanks for the feedback! Anyone rocking the Roval Control Sl Carbon wheelset? Not much of an upgrade over the alloy wheelset (Roval Control alloy) that comes stock on the Expert?

Also strongly considering a future change to XX1 (I really enjoy the 1x9/10 setups I've used) so trying to factor that in as well. Less painful to ditch the x9/heavy cassette on the comp than the nicer setup on the expert perhaps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I went the route of a Comp Carbon with XX1 cranks (1x10) and Roval Control SL wheels with carbon bars and seatpost. I am happy with my decision.

Bad cat!
    Thanks tooclose, I bet you are happy with that bike...nice.

Anyone have a strong opinion on the Sid/brain fork on the Expert vs the Reba on the Comp? Some folks seem to have mixed feelings on the Brain up front...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would try to ride both on trails and make an opinion for yourself. Some people like the brain, some people just like it to be open and use the crown lockout, and some people like a manual button on the bars to lock out the fork. From what I have seen it has very little to do with your riding level in mountain biking and more of what your personal preference is.

I prefer a handlebar button lockout, but the Reba crown lockout is decent enough too. I demoed an SWorks epic last year and I didn't think the brain fork was very plush, maybe it was just not setup the way I desired, but I remember it just not feeling right.

The new Magura fork with e-lect looks like a nice option......just wondering how much it is going to cost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Also strongly considering a future change to XX1 (I really enjoy the 1x9/10 setups I've used) so trying to factor that in as well. Less painful to ditch the x9/heavy cassette on the comp than the nicer setup on the expert perhaps.
    If you like 1x10 setup why not just go with the Expert EVO R. It's the marathon frame (better carbon and carbon seat stay), has carbon bars and already set up as 1x10 for almost the same price.

I think the custom carbon cranks that come on the Experts are re-branded X0 anyway (different chain rings though).

Bad cat!
    Thanks again tooclose... Where I live (fortunately or unfortunately) the bike shops are just too small to be able to demo anything beyond the base level, and even then only on some models. No epic outside the parking lot for example, but rented a camber comp. Reba seemed pretty good on that bike...

@ mbco I'm pretty sure my LBS said EVO's are gone. You made me rethink the purpose of the bike however and 1x9/10 is great for almost all my riding but this bike needs to cover occasional racing and all day rides so 2x is a good idea. Expert drivetrain would win on that over the Comp for sure.

mtbr member
    I'm not a big fan of the brain fork I've ridden one a good bit and found even on the softest setting the fork felt harsh for long rides. That is the main reason I went with a carbon comp and then upgraded parts over the expert.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think thats what I remembered about the brain fork as well. It never really seemed to be smooth in it's travel or really open up, and it got me to thinking, well what is the point of a fork then? We have a CAT 1 racer here that doesn't like it because when he is sprinting and hard at it the fork is opening up on him, which very well defeats the purpose. Like I said, some people love it though. I personally prefer a remote lockout or a crown lockout and have the fork tuned to 95% of my riding.

Bad cat!
    Thanks Dan4... Somehow I trust that Spesh has worked out the rear brain, but I'm a bit suspicious of the front. Crown lockout works fine for me.

Think I'll go alloy comp, go crazy with carbon on the wheelset, and set it up with a trail bias (higher volume grippy tires, maybe a dropper). Stock Expert setup looks like a great pure XC machine and the white/red sure is purty though. Thanks for the advice all...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Has anybody tried putting a non brain damper in the Sid brained fork? I have the same not very plush feeling in my brain fork as you guys described.

Bad cat!
    This is what I ended up with--seems like a very capable short-travel trail bike set up this way...and still races pretty well too. Came out 28lbs even with pedals, not bad with the hans dampf/purgatory combo and a command post, the wheelset really helped with that. Fun bike! Still playing with shock settings and such, but love that you can so easily stiffen it up for racing or soften it up for just blasting around... Thanks for all the input on the decision, I'm happy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13epic comp alloy with upgrades or epic expert?-img_0171.jpg  

mtbr member

13epic comp alloy with upgrades or epic expert?

Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    Has anybody tried putting a non brain damper in the Sid brained fork? I have the same not very plush feeling in my brain fork as you guys described.
    I changed the damper on my 2012 Rock Shox Sid 29 fork. The dampers are interchangeable, although buying a Rock Shox damper as spare parts is quite expensive.

Changing Sid from Brain to non-Brain