Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

130mm Fork on a 04 Stumpjumper

I just bought a used 2004 stumpjumper and will be using a Fox Float 130mm fork. Will this severely affect my geometry? Is anyone else using a 130mm fork on their stumpjumper, thanks?

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul
    I just bought a used 2004 stumpjumper and will be using a Fox Float 130mm fork. Will this severely affect my geometry? Is anyone else using a 130mm fork on their stumpjumper, thanks?
    FSR or hard tail
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ooops, it's an FSR.

ROBOTIC RESERVE

04 Stumpy w/ 130mm

I have a Stumpjumper with a Manitou Minute 3:00 SP. This was one of the best things i ever did to my bike.

My fork has the Infinite travel adjustment so when I climb I run it around 3.5" of travel, I do this to set the front of my bike lower to keep the front wheel on the ground. When i do anything DH or FR style of riding i keep it at 130mm to keep my hands happy.

As long as you can set the travel adjustment or ride height you will love your bike with any 130mm fork.

Keep in mind I only lower my fork when itís a really steep climb, for most everything else I leave it at 130mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

had to back down to 100mm

put a 130mm Vanilla R on my old Stumpy FSR at the end of 04. Never got comfortable with it before winter came. I eventually knocked it down to 100mm. I was never happy with the loss of climbing performance at 130mm. Your riding style, type of riding may vary.

The Float should be able to be shortrned to 100mm, find out how it's down before you buy. Get the parts ready, so you'll have the option. The Fox Fork transformed my FSR.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey, I also have a Stumpjumper FSR 04, which came from stock with Black Elite 100, and I am thinking of upgrade it and buying a FOX Talas. From 90mm to 130mm.

My idea is to use 110mm most of the time and 130 on the 'rampages', rocky stuff, etc..

90mm just for races or very steep slopes. Or never

What do you think?
    Cheaper forks to do pretty the same?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Betd-Link

I got an Pace RC 40 for my Stumpumper FSR 04. Additionally I use the new betd-Link at the rear. 130 mm at the front and back works great!

Your Imaginary Friend
    I'm running a TALUS RLT on my '04 Stumpy Pro and it may be the best thing I've ever put on that bike. I generally drop the fork all the way down for long fireroad climbs or keep it around 100mm for varying terrain but, on long decents, I let out all the travel and let that bably do what it was meant to do. Honestly, the extra 30mm of travel makes a HUGE difference on the technical stuff.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

Goathead Gladiator
    Yeah it'll affect your geometry, but isn't that the point?
    If you phone the big red S they will tell you it voids your warranty, but I can't imagine anyone screwing up their stumpy frame by adding another inch of travel to the front, particularly as at least 1/2 an inch of that will be sag. But as I said in the thread where the epic guy wanted to do the same thing, I'm not the one warranteeing your frame.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Fetz
    I got an Pace RC 40 for my Stumpumper FSR 04. Additionally I use the new betd-Link at the rear. 130 mm at the front and back works great!
    Dude, can you post a pic of the BETD link on your bike? Also, what's your rear shock? What effect on pressures? Are you bottoming out? How active in mid-stroke?

TIA
    Astigmatic Visionary

Humpmaster general

what is your weight and what was you pre and post betd link rear shock pressure?

a pic would be great.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

75% Mountain cycle

Cpatain Sankebite - more pics please

Nice set-up. 130mm looks right on for that frame. Is that an XL size?

mtbr member

130-115

during a normal ride i usually leave my talas R set at 115. up hilll i am very comfortable with the 115 but if i forget to take it from 130 i start to wheely. all in all its good to have the extra travel when you need it for techy down hills and such.

jmf
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

calling captain snakebite

It that a 100 or 120 stumpy.

NormalNorm
    I had a Manitou Black 120mm on my bike last year. Hated it....Over the winter I bought a Manitou Minute 2-100mm. What difference in the handling of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    what is your weight and what was you pre and post betd link rear shock pressure?

a pic would be great.
    My weight is around 67 kg / 148 lbs.

Pressure:
    Stumpjumper FSR 100 with old link: 130 PSI (25% Sag)
    Stumpjumper FSR 100 with new link: 175 PSI (25% Sag)

Pictures:

Fetz

ROBOTIC RESERVE

Hello...

Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    Nice set-up. 130mm looks right on for that frame. Is that an XL size?
    Thanks, Yes my bike is a XL size.

Id like to look into a BETD myself, just a little worried.
    can you guys shed some info on it...Pros and Cons

Thanks
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

Team Blindspot

One more thing...

Pressure:

Pictures:

Fetz
    What's your BB height? And have you tried flipping the link for a slacker HA?
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    What's your BB height?
    BB height:
    Stumpjumper FSR 100 with PACE RC40 old link 100mm: 31,4 cm
    Stumpjumper FSR 100 with PACE RC40 new link 130mm: 35,3 cm

And have you tried flipping the link for a slacker HA?
    I used the link only in the 130mm position.

Team Blindspot

Thanks! Over an inch taller.

BB height:
    Stumpjumper FSR 100 with PACE RC40 old link 100mm: 31,4 cm
    Stumpjumper FSR 100 with PACE RC40 new link 130mm: 35,3 cm

I used the link only in the 130mm position.
    If you flip it over, you can still run it at 130mm, you just slacken the HA a bit and possibly lower the BB hgt as well. (Which one would want to do if they are not running a taller fork to compensate for the increase BB/steeper HA)

I had a BETD on my 99 FSR, you could do the same things. But now have an 04 Stumpy which I got as a replacement from S when my 99 was damaged in shipping from them.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you flip it over, you can still run it at 130mm, you just slacken the HA a bit and possibly lower the BB hgt as well. (Which one would want to do if they are not running a taller fork to compensate for the increase BB/steeper HA)

I had a BETD on my 99 FSR, you could do the same things. But now have an 04 Stumpy which I got as a replacement from S when my 99 was damaged in shipping from them.
    Sorry, but I don't understand how I should flip this link over:

Team Blindspot
    Sorry, but I don't understand how I should flip this link over:

See the curve in the link from your profile pic.

If you take it and flip it so the lettering is down, not up, you will lower the BB and steepen the HA. But still have 130mm of travel.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    See the curve in the link from your profile pic.

If you take it and flip it so the lettering is down, not up, you will lower the BB and steepen the HA. But still have 130mm of travel.
    Now I understand - I didn't realise at all that the link is curved - must have been blind.

But I don't think I will change anything - I love every mm of the higher BB (the low BB was one of the disadvantages of my "old" FSR).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Pressure:
    Oh goodie, could you please also post a shot of the entire bike? I'm considering ordering the link, but I do think the BB ends up a bit too high with the BETD link. If I ever do order it, I sure would like to see what the effect on BB height would be with a upside-down mounted link. Looking at your pics it might bring the bike down 1-2cm?

Team Blindspot
    Now I understand - I didn't realise at all that the link is curved - must have been blind.

But I don't think I will change anything - I love every mm of the higher BB (the low BB was one of the disadvantages of my "old" FSR).

Why don't you flip it and measure the BB hgt. I'll bet it's at least 1/2 inch lower.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast