mtbr member
    Mar 2006

130mm fork on 02 Enduro?

Hi,
    I currently have an 02 enduro that is mostly stock, I was wondering if I could replace the stock Marzocchi MXC 100mm fork with a 05 marzocchi All Mountain 2 with 130mm of travel without severly effecting the geometry or performance of the bike? Has this type of upgrade been done often? Any advice would be great. By the way, its an Xl frame.

thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

of course u can

that frame was designed around a 130mm fork, maybe a fox; the 4'' fork was on the cheaper models to cut down the price and giving you room to this upgrade.
    The marz is a bit longer than the fox so you'll feel the bike a bit slack, wich is good going DH, but u can use the flip-flop link to experiment and see what works best for your style.
    I went with a 04 Z1 FR and I'm running the flip-flop link in the steepest position, and still feels slacker than with the shorter fork, so the steering is a bit slower but with some body english easily fixed.
    Be warned, going coil at the front will make you wish another shock, since that air shock is very progresive, and the bike will not feel balanced like you feel it now with the 4'' fork.
    So perhaps going with a Fox float or talas is a better choice for that frame and shock.
    The geometry will be spot on (still having 2 real options) will be lighter and you'll enjoy more of both sides of your bike instead of enjoing one and regret the other; that way the bike will perform like it was meant to be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks, so an all air fork like and All Mountain SL would be a better choice? The all mountain uses air in one leg, and a negative spring in the other, is that going to feel closer to "normal" than you Z1 with all coil/
    Last edited by MaxxChris; 03-18-2006 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Last year I put a Vanilla R on the front of an 02 Enduro (03 frame, for replacement) and I love my bike. I still have original Fox Float on rear and travel, w/itch switch, is 4-5 making the bike, I guess, 5x5 as they say. I ainít smart enough nor do I ride well enough to notice anything different about my darn bike. When out riding, and when I am brave enough to open my eyes, I enjoy the scenery going by.
    I did like the price tag on the Vanilla, and I have ZERO complaints about the shock. I am using the heaviest spring, no noise, a little bob for sure, but bike is somehow better with upgrade. Heavier yes, makes me stronger I suppose. I need the exercise and I have no money making the Vanilla the right choice for me. 130 feels great!

2003 Enduro frame (replacement for cracked 02)
    05 Fox Vanilla R
    02 Float R
    X-9 shifters and derailleur
    Thompson stem
    Monkey Lite bar
    Odi lock-on Ruffians
    Chris King headset
    Thompson seatpost
    WTB Laser V
    Rhyno Lite w/XT hubs
    WTB Weirwolf 2.5 front
    Continental Vertical 2.3 rear
    FSA bash guard
    New chainrings
    low end Shimano clipless
    get me up the hill!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

don't get me wrong

I said yes u can, it feels great to have an extra inch of suspension, and love the marzocchis too (plushnes, look, extra low mantienence). I was so impressed with my zoke the first time I rode it, of how it erased the square edge hits, until my back wheel remaind me. That bothers to me. I like run things in the softer side, 30% SAG, using all the travel, I don't do drops biger than 2-3' so that means very soft to use every inch with an ocassional bottom out at every ride.
    The AM 1 will feel as plush as the Z1 or more, the air is mostly to boottoming resistance or some situations where u don't need all the travel (like softrolling hardpack, or pavement). U can try it and if u feel what I felt with my rear shock then start saving for a new shock.
    I've heard good things about the new doppio air system, and u can even adjust the travel to some point, so geometry won't be a problem. Actually I'm seriusly thinking about that new Z1 SL, since the 20mm dropouts are a great improvemment in stiffnes, and it's even lighter than my actual fork, that way it could feel more balanced.
    Our friend with the vanilla is happy as u can be, cause the geometry is spot on (it's a fox) and he's running the harder spring, maybe cause he likes to do more drops. The zokes still feel a bit more plush.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've used the frame with a 178 mm Boxxer. The stock fork on my bike was Fox RL Talas (90-130 mm) and that's the size the frame's been designed to. That adjustability makes it both, a good XC:er (90 mm) and a good enduro (130 mm) bike.
    The AM SL is a lot heavier than the Talas, so if you can afford the Fox, I think you should go for it. If the weight is not an issue, the All Mountain SL is not a bad choice.